Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/10/2007 7:50:53 AM EST
to which other would you change?

If you're Methodist, Baptist, Independent/Evangelical, LDS, Catholic, etc., and you had to choose something else, what would it be?

I mentioned in another thread that I would likely choose Church of Christ, partly for doctrinal reasons, and partly for the people I know who attend there--solid folks, good values, etc. .

What is it about that religion/faction/belief that appeals to you?

No debates please.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:14:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 9:15:01 AM EST by Mr_Staypuft]
I'm from an EC church (Evangelical Congregational) but would probably fit in well with Baptists. There's a Baptist church in Florida I attend when on vacation, and honestly I would be hard pressed to find a major difference in belief between my church and that one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:27:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:27:30 PM EST
I'd probably be Catholic.

1. Belief in Priesthood ordination and authority.
a. Belief in Apostolic authority

2. Belief in essential ordinances (baptism, the Sacrament, etc)

3. Established heirarchy for declaring correct doctrine in order to resolve disputes.

4. Compiled and preserved what we call The Bible.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:34:00 PM EST
Wow,

funny that you ask. I seem to be in the process of changing my faith right now.

It seems that there are issues with every faith.

I think just a simple (probably unfounded) belief in a remote God is where I will end up.

cujet
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:18:09 PM EST
Buddhist
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:30:26 PM EST
Since I don't have faith in a religion, I'd have to change my God, and that's not happnin.
I just found a church after 25 years of searching that feels like home, the bible has not been taken out of context and the Lord comes to church every Sunday. :)

I get what your saying though, so I would say Messianic Jew.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:34:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/11/2007 6:35:29 AM EST by astro]

Originally Posted By syntax:
Since I don't have faith in a religion, I'd have to change my God, and that's not happnin.
I just found a church after 25 years of searching that feels like home, the bible has not been taken out of context and the Lord comes to church every Sunday. :)

Yeah, I avoided the term "church" intentionally.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:08:59 AM EST
I would be a nihilist. If God does not exist, or does exist but is not who He says He is, then whats the point of worshipping Him. I would be well within my right as an evolved being to make my own law with no regard for others.

But, I am not an evolved being. I am a created being, who came into this world cursed with sin, making me by nature a sinner with no hope of a relationship with a holy God except through faith in Jesus Christ. Now that I am His, He is my Master, and I am to do what He wills. My authority in faith and practice is the word of God. Thus, I am and will always be a born again Bible-believing Christian. If you were to ask what denomination I am in, I am an independent, dispensational, pre-millenial, Baptist.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:05:04 AM EST
I'm Reformed Baptist. I'd probably change to PCA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 2:29:31 PM EST
I'm a UU. Only faith I would switch to at this point is Catholicism.

Link Posted: 8/26/2007 4:46:28 PM EST
Amish
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 8:22:57 AM EST
I would go back to being an atheist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:01:46 PM EST
Judaism. It is the only faith that hasn't changed itself in the lastseveral thousand years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:57:52 AM EST
Is there a "church" or (for lake of better terms) a Christian group that places the focus on God and not on Jesus?

I've always had my doubts regarding the story of Jesus. Since new light has been shed on the origins of Christianity I've found myself not believing in the immortality of Jesus and that the myth was designed to serve the Church, and not the people.

I do feel at home with my fellow Masons and Templars, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 12:03:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By JRBL1A1:
Is there a "church" or (for lake of better terms) a Christian group that places the focus on God and not on Jesus?

I've always had my doubts regarding the story of Jesus. Since new light has been shed on the origins of Christianity I've found myself not believing in the immortality of Jesus and that the myth was designed to serve the Church, and not the people.

Well any Christian group will place emphasis on Jesus, or they wouldn't be Christians.

The closes you will probably find would be Christian Unitarians, who think Jesus was the son of God, but not God.

If you want a religion that focuses on God, then Judaism or Islam would be in keeping.

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:26:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ArKay:
Judaism. It is the only faith that hasn't changed itself in the lastseveral thousand years.

Other than atheism, I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:31:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:

atheism isn't a faith, its a descriptor

there are atheistic religions or religions that have room for atheists in them, but atheism isn't a religion

and, even if it were a religion, atheistic though has changed considerably in the last 300 years
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:29:34 PM EST

+1. I'm also partial to narcissism.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:17:32 PM EST
I purposely avoid the big-name religions, preferring to follow what the Bible says. I'm in The United Church of God, but if I was forced out for some reason I'd either keep the Sabbath (Saturday) with others who believe the same or just with my wife and son. I prefer to stay in because I'm not one who's studied enough to be a teacher, so I keep learning while my son is learning. (Wife too, but our son was what drove me to finding a church to attend).
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:36:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dino:

Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:

atheism isn't a faith, its a descriptor

there are atheistic religions or religions that have room for atheists in them, but atheism isn't a religion

and, even if it were a religion, atheistic though has changed considerably in the last 300 years

+1

Atheism is the absence of faith in a supreme being. That's what the word "Atheism" means.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:38:54 PM EST
Judaism or back to Christianity.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:20:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2007 1:25:31 AM EST by JaxxKat]

Originally Posted By syntax:

no sucha ting..
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 5:08:57 AM EST

Since new light has been shed on the origins of Christianity...

Link?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:39:45 AM EST
There's any number of other nature-based belief systems that are fairly similar to my own, so if I *had* to change, it'd be to one of them, as the change would be a little easier for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:17:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dino:

Originally Posted By JRBL1A1:

Well any Christian group will place emphasis on Jesus, or they wouldn't be Christians.

The closes you will probably find would be Christian Unitarians, who think Jesus was the son of God, but not God.

If you want a religion that focuses on God, then Judaism or Islam would be in keeping.

Any non-Trinitarian group, I would guess, would come closer to fitting the bill as well. They tend to de-emphasize Jesus, since they do not consider him God.

Jehovah's Witnesses come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 6:08:18 AM EST
I am an atheist, but if I had to choose a religion to fall for, it'd probably be Jainism.

Their main set of rules are:

1. Ahimsa (Non-violence)
2. Satya (truth)
3. Achaurya (non-stealing)
4. Brahmacarya (purity of mind and body)
5. Aparigraha (non-attachment to temporal possessions)

Why do I think they're so badass? Because they take non-violence to the extreme. They don't kill anything, they don't eat meat and even avoid hurting insects. The most hardcore cover their mouths to avoid accidentally eating insects and sweep the ground in front of them as they walk to make sure there are no bugs there they might step on. That is hardcore.

And in the end, they sometimes take their non-violence to the extreme of stopping to eat altogether. They even stop eating vegetables and fruit because they are living things as well. This is called a Sallekhana, a ritual suicide. That is damn bad-ass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 6:39:46 AM EST
If I had to change my faith, I think Buddhism, not the worship the fat statue version, but the path of self enlightenment one.

If not that, then perhaps Islam, I don't drink, and wouldn't mind having an excuse to cut off the heads of people I don't agree with. Not to mention the 4 wives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:30:46 AM EST
I would stay Christian and use the excuse that alot do and say I believe and live the way I wanted instead of the way Jesus modled for us and be a hypocrite. I thought it was ok before.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:30:16 PM EST
Jesus Christ is the living GOD. HE is not a religion. Jesus Christ is the GOD of the Old Testament. HE changes not, neither is there any shadow of turning with HIM. Exodus 20: 2-6.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:05:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 8:06:54 AM EST by dropbass]
Id be a "Hebrew" Son of Abraham or modern day Orthodox Jew whom believes in the Son of the Living G-d.

All these labels don't interest me - not sure what I am now other than a believer in the resurrected Messiah - Im happy with that for now.
Top Top