Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
Let's say your a Special Ops soldier, would you post your potentially personal info on the internet  for all to see?

Couldn't that make you a "target"?

The SF guys I knew kept a super low profile, have things in the Spec Ops community changed that much?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I would expect it from those that don't know the color of the boathouse at Hereford.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
How is being SF going to make you any more a target than being a regular joe, say a cook or fuel handler?  Soldier is a soldier, theyre not super secret supermen.  If people were out to kill us stateside you would see a lot more of us being killed at the pawn shops and cash advance places, or at our homes at night.  All you would have to do is pull into Clarksville or Killeen and shoot people at random, youre bound to kil a few troops.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for calling AT&T, this is Sandra, how may I assist you?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Terrorists like to kill people they find to have personally carried out attacks against them.

Remember when the Palestinians rejoiced about that Israeli astronaut burned up on the Columbia.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My real name is Chuck Norris.  I live at 69 Full Power Shot lane in Whupass, Texas.  Come visit anytime.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, I'm not an operator and I don't post "potentially personal" information on the net.  I would expect somebody with more than usual concerns to not post anything on the net.  period.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You've got to be fucking shitting me. You're not an operator. GET OVER IT.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What is all this fuss about anyway.  Where I am from, it is extemely easy to find an operator.  You just dial "0".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
None of you are operators, Im the only one trained on dis Glock fotay!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
None of you are operators, Im the only one trained on dis Glock fotay!!!

You may be the only one here able to use a Glock, but I'm a 350 lb ninja warrior trained in the arts of lard-fu and commando tactics.  I've spent a lifetime cultivating a B.O. that is considered to be a munition by the US government.  That's why I'm not allowed to travel abroad anymore.  I'd tell you more, but its classified.

I was in the Great War with the 1st special forces culinary ranger battlion.  I got a medal for not drooling on the forks.  My recipe for mashed potatoes is top secret and is now taught to all the cadets at West Point.  The Army keeps me on call in case they need to drop me behind enemy lines in this war.  I'd tell you more, but it's classified.

My greasy mullet is not only stylish but practical.  It can be used to strangle people in hand to hand combat.  I'd love to tell you more, but my secret ninja techniques are known only to a select few ninjas and are passed down from teacher to student.  They are also classified.  I've killed a man with a spork before.  That's a standard training exercise for a master.

I once went to survival school and they turned dogs loose to find me, but I killed the dogs and ate them.  That's also classified, so ya'll keep it to yourselves, ok?

Anyone want to meet up at the next gunshow?  I'll be the fat guy with the mullet and I'll be wearing BDU pants so you can recognize me.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Robo, take a xanax bro. Read the link that I posted in this thread. Read the part where 18 talks about OPSEC and the other stuff he does, then read how easy it was to find personal info on him. It kind of pokes fun at his post & him.

I never claimed to be an operator or SF. Just read and enjoy. I think you'll see the humor in it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would expect it from those that don't know the color of the boathouse at Hereford.

I'm sorry sir that information is classafied.

I mean you are talking about a sub pen right sir???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#15]
These REAL operators don't go around bragging about it on the Internet, and they don't sit around all day in 5.11's eating MRE's while dry-firing at the TV. They might, however, want to worry about what their mommies post about them at various message boards...

There is another site where one of the wimmenz' son is supposedly a SEAL. She would often brag about it, hinting cryptically as to his whereabouts and even going as far as to post pictures of him online. Her whole identity was based on being a SEAL mommy. I'd bet that he wasn't aware of all that. BTW, she was somewhat of a know-it-all on the subject and was very sensitive about anyone else who seemed to have any knowledge or interest at all WRT the Teams, as if she was speshul.

Her running off at the mouth seemed to me like it was a security risk. She gave out WAAAY too much personal information.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
While I'm sure that they don't go bragging about it much on internet forums and posting their names, phone number, addresses, bank account number, etc, I'm sure that most aren't exactly hiding.  Especially the "normal" SF.  If that were the case, then they'd never wear their BDU's with the SF unit patch, the Group flash on the beret, and for the Q course qualified guys, the green berest and the big tab that says Special Forces on it.  Especially off post at the restaurants across the freeway from Ft. Lewis.
Move to a military town that has an SF group, or a Navy SEAL team, or an AF pararescue team and you'll see them around.  Now the ones that are in teh bars talking about how they are whatever SOF group is nearby are probably just trying to pick up some bar ho, but they aren't some super secret squirell club spy group.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
you are kidding, right?? the operator(s) i've met have little time to be philandering on message boards
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
you are kidding, right?? the operator(s) i've met have little time to be philandering on message boards

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
as an aside, do you honestly know how many "special forces soldiers" there are out there?? i mean, come on ... if you were a CIA/NSA operative who spoke 15 different arabic-based dialects and hadn't seen a US-allied country in 24+ months, i could see your worry.

and then again, what makes you a "special forces soldier" exactly? i mean, do you just have to be attached to an SF unit, or do you actually have to be an operator (remember, support "soldiers" go just about anywhere an actual "soldier" goes).

ETA: grammar,spelling,punctuation
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it" - MG

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do you care?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top