Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:21:44 PM EDT
Given the choise of flying in the low-level ground attack mission, the medium bombing mission, or the srategic bombing campaign, which would you choose? The factors considered would basically be patriotic, technical or personal: effect on the war effort, relative difficulty of the flight profile, and general satisfaction.

As a single engine pilot flying aircraft like the P-47 Thunderbolt or the Typhoon, or smaller twin-engine types like the P-38 or Beaufighter, you had a menouverable craft that could get out of bad situations quickly; on the other hand, you were down at levels where everyone would be shooting at you, from infantrymen to medium flak. In terms of mission satisfaction, while you might be helping out small infantry units, but you would not really be making much differance in the Big Picture.

As a medium bomber, you would be flying aircraft like the B-25 or B-26 at medium altitudes against targets like rail yards, lines of communications and concentrated logistics bases; this would have a possible great influence on a given operation if you were successful. Your dangers would be primarily from medium and heavy anti aircraft artillery, and at the heights you would be operating from, you were more exposed to enemy observation than the single engine guys; but your bigger bird would be able to take more damage.

As a strategic bomber crewman in planes such as the B-17, B-24 or Lancaster, your efforts could have great impact from the Theater level on up, but you would also face the greatest weight of enemy fire: medium and heavy flak, as well as enemy fighter aircraft. Your plane might be able to take a lot of damage, but you are also a bigger target, much slower and less maneuverable than the smaller warbirds.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:25:56 PM EDT
anti shipping raids with a mosquito bomber equipped with the 57mm gun
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:42:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
anti shipping raids with a B-25H mosquito bomber , equipped with the 57mm gun 75mm Howitzer

Fixed it for ya!

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:47:47 PM EDT
Now doubt sitting in a P-51 would be the shit.

However, the B-17 was one sexy aircraft. Very dangerous mission though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
Anti shipping raids low level in an
A20 Havoc. South West Pacific.
When the war was still on the line.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:51:16 PM EDT
The gun runs by A-20 or B-25 put you into the low-level attack realm. Not in the poll but a very interesting choise!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 3:05:31 PM EDT by CookieCrisp]
Trains, Id give my left nut to strafe some trains. Industrial complexes, defended bridges and harbors too! All low level. Oh yeah. Is there any good WWII flying games with this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:05:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CookieCrisp:
Trains, Id give my left nut to strafe some trains. Industrial complexes, defended bridges and harbors too! All low level. Oh yeah. Is there and good WWII flying games with this?

Il2 Sturmovik. Scaleable realism, great gameplay, non-linear campaign, low level strikes against factories, armored units, ships, and good dogfighting
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:07:50 PM EDT
Low-level looks like great fun, but a lot of the pilots I have seen interviewed or read accounts of were really personally effected by it...they could frequently see the human consequences of what they did, bodies incinerated or torn apart. The high level guys just pressed the button and went home.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:54:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CookieCrisp:
Trains, Id give my left nut to strafe some trains. Industrial complexes, defended bridges and harbors too! All low level. Oh yeah. Is there any good WWII flying games with this?

Care to see some gun camera footage?? Go to www.web-birds.com/8th/339/gun/gun.html (links about a third of the way down the page)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
Sittin in a Corsair running close air support missions for the other leathernecks on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 3:58:47 PM EDT by gwitness]
wouldn't have minded being a F6F pilot during the Marianas turkey shoot.

as for attack...how about a Catalina in the Aleutian campaign....rigged up as a bomber.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:54 PM EDT
I would want to be a P47 pistol strafing SS troops.

My grandfather flew B17s from europe for 26+ missions. From what he told me, Id rather be in the infantry. You had a better chance dying in the 8th AF than in the infantry.
Top Top