Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 9:20:24 PM EDT
I have to change my life stat and trying to figure out a way to tally up and plan meals that are more heart healthy. Are there any good programs that you can enter in a bunch of nutritional information about specific foods ,organize it and then select through a list to get totals as needed?  

Eta: I am not overweight at all. I just have lived my short life eating what i want consisting of alot of fat and cholesterol on top of lots of booze and cigarettes. Had a heart attack last week and i'm kinda flipping out it. If i can see #'s I think it will help me relax some and make the right choices. For instance an average breakfast if i fix it is well over 600 grams of cholesterol and around 100g of fat in one meal. No wonder my pipes are clogged.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I know GE has a new microwave that the .gov has programmed for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have to change my life stat and trying to figure out a way to tally up and plan meals that are more heart healthy. Are there any good programs that you can enter in a bunch of nutritional information about specific foods ,organize it and then select through a list to get totals as needed?  

www.myfooddiary.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like you need a serious change, quick!

I'd recommend watching the documentary , "Forks over Knives."

I don't follow it to a T cause I still do a little bit of bodybuilding so I eat chicken, fish, other lean meats. I'll have a steak now and again.

I think the Paleo diet is an awesome diet, I just feel it is really hard to stay on. I did a slightly modified version of the Paleo for years and its just so hard to feel good without carbs.

Start thinking of noodles / carbs as your meal and the meat as a treat / dessert.

good luck mate!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Marks Daily Apple bro

Eat clean and you won't need to worry about charting everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of this will sound familiar...

I eat more legumes, fruits and vegetables than meat. I eat more meat than fatty foods and sweets (in fact I try not to eat fatty foods and sweets).

I drink a lot of water and rarely drink soda.

I don't eat after about 6pm.

I do all this because I want to live a long life. You can't control everything that happens to you, but some things you can have a say in... especially your diet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do all this because I want to live a long life. You can't control everything that happens to you, but some things you can have a say in... especially your diet.

+100000000000000000000
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Diet is only 1/2 of your health.

The rest is getting your body in motion. Don't neglect some exercise...it allows you to eat well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't eat processed carbohydrates(except oats).

Cut all sugar out of your diet. Its okay to eat fruit occasionally but not before bed.

Stick to non-processed "live foods."

I try to only eat lean cuts of meat, oats, almonds, and vegetables.

Watch milk too, even skim has 12g of sugar per serving. I switched to unsweetened almond milk and love it. No sugar and healthy fat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Cut all sugar out of your diet. Its okay to eat fruit occasionally but not before bed.

Watch milk too, even skim has 12g of sugar per serving. I switched to unsweetened almond milk and love it. No sugar and healthy fat.

Define "processed", bonus points if you can show some science that processing (in and of itself) negatively impacts nutrition or the quality of the food being processed.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
www.fitday.com

There is a free version if you click around on there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Define "processed", bonus points if you can show some science that processing (in and of itself) negatively impacts nutrition or the quality of the food being processed.

Processed- Anything that has been altered from its natural state. I don't need "bonus points" from you and my objective was not to discredit anyone else's methodology in terms of nutrition. Every human body is different, I have found that mine responds best to a low GI carbohydrate/ high protein diet. I think that you'll agree that most refined(processed) carbohydrates are starchier than most vegetables. Many people consume foods with low fat yet tons of these simple carbs(fillers) and they think they're eating healthy.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
www.fitday.com

Very good site, have used it a bunch. Really helps in breaking down your macro-nutrient intake. I did the 40/40/20 thing for a while but now am around 30% carb, 45% protein, and 25% fat. I've also done ketosis diets which is 55% fat, 40% protein, 5% carb. Its a good diet for dropping water weight fast but I don't think that's too beneficial unless you're making weight for something(fight, contest, etc....).
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a lot of it is an awareness issue.

If you make it you know what goes into it. You're not looking at a number on a label you actually see hey that has a lot of butter or whatever in it.

Also, everything seems to taste better when it's fresh as opposed to sitting in a freezer for months on end only to get cooked in a microwave (which makes all meats and some veggies taste weird)

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.fitday.com

Very good site, have used it a bunch. Really helps in breaking down your macro-nutrient intake. I did the 40/40/20 thing for a while but now am around 30% carb, 45% protein, and 25% fat. I've also done ketosis diets which is 55% fat, 40% protein, 5% carb. Its a good diet for dropping water weight fast but I don't think that's too beneficial unless you're making weight for something(fight, contest, etc....).

Looking at it ,it doesn't seem to track cholesterol or sodium.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.fitday.com

Looking at it ,it doesn't seem to track cholesterol or sodium.

http://myfitnesspal.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't speak for STK but most processed food (usually carbs) have lots of other chemicals and needless junk added in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top