Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 12:25:14 PM EDT
Try explaining the AWB sunset to someone who doesn't know guns!!!

A co-worker who knows I own guns asked me about the AWB sunset and what it means. She is somewhat concerned about "everyone" being able to buy AWs now.

Try explaining that AWs aren't really AWs except some are and some aren't,  and some guns and mags were banned but they are not really except some of them are sometimes with some features but even those are still legal to buy and own except somtimes under certain conditions except other times they are not depending on what part is made where, and who did what to whom, except on the third tuesday of the month during leap year when the moon and your tires are full.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I know exactly what you are talking about.

I am living with a canadian (room mate) and i was trying to splain the differences and how the ban works (or doesn't work for that matter) and he just doesn't get it
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Most folks think that with the sunset UZis and AKs will be available again.  They don't realize that these "assault weapons" have always been available throughout the ban.  All the ban really accomplished was to raise prices on fine shooting instruments.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I found out it helps to have pic's to show what is legal before and after the ban.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there, tried to do that.  I think I just ended up giving up.  Hell, I've been into this stuff and read this board religiously for quite a while to learn what I think are "most" gun laws.  All this, and I'm sure I don't know em all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the short and sweet way to explain it.

"They never banned AW's, they just banned parts of AW's. The stuff we had to take off, we can now put back on."

While that sentence is not technically correct, it does break things down in VERY simple terms that the uneducated can grasp. If that hooks them, THEN you can explain the differences between true AW's and Semi auto's, and Pre-ban vs. post-ban, etc. etc.

If you overwhelm them from the beginning, they will just tune you out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Try this link:

www.ont.com/users/kolya/

I wrote it because I got tired of trying to explain the same thing to everyone and it is a lot easier to show them with pictures.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently had this conversation with a co-worker and now she wants to shoot my AR!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Same thing happened at work last night. Some Dumocrat was goin on about how its such a horrible thing that the AWB is expiring. Going on about how people shouldnt be able to buy Uzi's and Assault Rifles etc etc.
I asked him "Do you KNOW what the AWB prohibits?" He looks at me, quietly says no then went and sat down. I loudly said that right now, TODAY I could buy an Uzi or AK-47 if I was so inclined. That the ban actually did very little in terms of "Gun control". I also pointed out I could also buy a FUll Auto weapon TODAY as well (Barring the horribly long paperwork routine).
He didnt have much to say after that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try this link:

www.ont.com/users/kolya/

I wrote it because I got tired of trying to explain the same thing to everyone and it is a lot easier to show them with pictures.

That's yours?  That's EXCELLENT!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what’s really bad where I work.   I’ve told some people that I go to 3-gun and IDPA matches.  They have asked me what that was about and what goes on at these matches.  I explained about the different stages and how it was run.  Then the other day while I was trying to explain about the AWB sunset one of them asked if I was training in a militia that wants to over throw the government.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's the short and sweet way to explain it.

"They never banned AW's, they just banned parts of AW's. The stuff we had to take off, we can now put back on."

While that sentence is not technically correct, it does break things down in VERY simple terms that the uneducated can grasp. If that hooks them, THEN you can explain the differences between true AW's and Semi auto's, and Pre-ban vs. post-ban, etc. etc.

If you overwhelm them from the beginning, they will just tune you out.

As an explanation for a non-gunowner layman, that is excellent. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try this link:

www.ont.com/users/kolya/

Excellent, now translate the hieroglyphics in your sig!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Even my brothers who hunt with me , just kinda scratch their heads and  stare off into space when we try to discuss it.

I even tried to explain it to my wife. She said, "Oh, that's nice dear but what does it  mean?"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thnaks for the compliments. If I had known the kind of traffic it was going to generate, I'd have done a more professional job.

The hieroglyphics are Cyrillic (Russian) and it says "Monkeys of the world, Unite!" (actually in a strict literal translation, it would be "Monkeys of all countries, incorporate!") - it is a deep inside joke that is a play on the old Soviet propaganda poster saying "Proletarians of the world, Unite!".
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
K.I. S. S.   in a nice way.

Machine guns are covered by other laws, dating back to the 1930s.  The AWB does not legalize machinguns.  Eliminate potential confusion right away.

It had little to no effect on criminals, especially those who are barred from purchasing or posessing any firearm.    Criminals don't follow the law, check for a nod of comprehension.

Legislating away the Amendments is BAD, mmmmkay

Supporters deliberatly use misinformation and hyperbole to advance their agenda.  

Guns, particularily scary black rifles, are inanimate objects.  They are not designed for killing, anymore than automobiles and hammers are.  Use the Ted Kennedy line if appropriate.  

Educate them if possible, pointing out how many full-cap mags and pre-bans you own might not be the best starting point.  Pointing out that the DC snipers could have used deer rifle might not help either.  The question about children and guns in the home shouldn't be refuted with a snide remark about bad parenting.

I especially like the comment about politicians making a fuss to say they did something.

Then after all the calm and logical stuff, tell them the sunset is just in time for pumpkin season  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]

This is a long-range Saturday-night-special machine-gun assault-rifle spray-and-pray 50-cal-sniper-rifle with more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/BARmkII.jpg

This is a long-range Saturday-night-special machine-gun assault-rifle spray-and-pray 50-cal-sniper-rifle with more thrusts per squeeze.

That looks like one of them there "sniper rifles" with no other purpose but to kill folks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Try this link:

www.ont.com/users/kolya/

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#21]
After I explain the AWB and how it never made a difference in rifles since I bought ARs for competition, they understand, but still tend to say, "well, I better stay on your good side!" I tell them that if we are ever invaded by the army of concentric circles, I'll be ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top