Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:42:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 4:36:43 AM EST by 999monkeys]
Just curious

Note: caliber question, not platform
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:45:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 3:46:45 AM EST by dtux]
If you live in a state where there are restrictions on automatic weapons (MGs), why do you own or shoot an AR15?

Because it's what we've got.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:47:46 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dtux:
If you live in a state where there are restrictions on automatic weapons (MGs), why do you own or shoot an AR15?

View Quote

Not sure I understand. The platform is available in other calibers
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:48:14 AM EST

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:49:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 3:51:24 AM EST by Antero]
I wanted an AR, I wanted a Tavor. So I bought them. I won't be in California forever. When I leave, I'll remove these bullet buttons and I'll pick up the box of standard capacity mags my dad has waiting for me in Free America. Until then, these ten rounders will have to do. Are we just supposed to curl up in a ball on the floor because we have reduced capacity magazines?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:52:35 AM EST
Well, one thing is for sure, ban state people do NOT have 30's for their AR's.......... (Yeah, right)

I'm SOOOOO blessed to be in this no limited mag capacity state! (so far)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:53:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Antero:
I wanted an AR, I wanted a Tavor. So I bought them. I won't be in California forever. When I leave, I'll remove these bullet buttons and I'll pick up the box of standard capacity mags my dad has waiting for me in Free America. Until then, these ten rounders will have to do. Are we just supposed to curl up in a ball on the floor because we have reduced capacity magazines?
View Quote

That's a good answer. Did anything ever come of the 7.62 Tavor?

I am not curious why you own rifles, just about the caliber selection. Seems if I can only have 10, I would not want 5.56
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:59:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

cheap and available.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:03:43 AM EST
Is your argument really as simple minded as saying the only thing that makes a firearm fun to shoot is having a 30 round mag? Really??
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:05:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Is your argument really as simple minded as saying the only thing that makes a firearm fun to shoot is having a 30 round mag? Really??
View Quote

No. It is as simple as saying the key advantage to 5.56 is weight/capacity. So why not shoot a different caliber out of the same platform (since you are giving up that advantage anyway)?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:05:55 AM EST
Just curious
View Quote

I take your point, and sort of agree.

If you're limited to ten rounds, you might as well make them torpedoes.

You don't hear anyone debating about fragmentation and bullet weight and twist rate and cannelures and terminal ballistics and all that kind of stuff with 7.62x51 NATO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:06:54 AM EST
I think the question is why use a small caliber. If you only get 10 rounds why not .308.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:09:33 AM EST

No. It is as simple as saying the key advantage to 5.56 is weight/capacity. So why not shoot a different caliber out of the same platform (since you are giving up that advantage anyway)?
View All Quotes

Key advantage in what respect? I'm certainly not fighting any wars or stopping the charging insurgents. Are you? Has America become so dangerous, or are your paper targets just vastly more threatening than mine?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:11:21 AM EST

Key advantage in what respect? I'm certainly not fighting any wars or stopping the charging insurgents. Are you? Has America become so dangerous, or are your paper targets just vastly more threatening than mine?
View All Quotes

Then why not shoot a .22lr upper, in your specific case?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:11:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:12:17 AM EST

View All Quotes

Yeah.

I like the accuracy and quick handling.

Capacity is just gravy. Hell, I run 20s most of the time anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 4:14:34 AM EST by RustedAce]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 4:16:46 AM EST by 2JokersWild]

View All Quotes

I do. I shoot about anything with a trigger. That includes pistols with tiny, ineffective magazines, bolt action rifles with tiny, ineffective magazines and crossbows with no magazines at all.

Do you own a bolt action? I assume, based on your position, you own no pistols, shotguns or bolt action rifles. It seems you wouldnt own any weapon which cant fit a 30 round mag. I understand, the paper targets are charging your position and must be stopped. I get it it. They are dangerous. If you would like I can send you some of mine, they wont charge your shooting bench.

The point is, your question is fucking stupid. I mean really. Why would I own a caliber which doesnt offer a 30 round mag? I dont know...Because....Wait for it....I LIKE TO SHOOT?

Edit: Because letrz are hard after beers and wines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:15:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-JD:

Yeah.

View All Quotes

Yeah.

Thanks, quick handling/follow up shots is definitely a benefit
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:18:22 AM EST
The caliber = the job or task at hand . Like a tool box would have different tools .
5.56 mm can do many things / jobs
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:19:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:27:36 AM EST

I do. I shoot about anything with a trigger. That includes pistols with tiny, ineffective magazines, bolt action rifles with tiny, ineffective magazines and crossbows with no magazines at all.

Do you own a bolt action? I assume, based on your position, you own no pistols, shotguns or bolt action rifles. It seems you wouldnt own any weapon which cant fit a 30 round mag. I understand, the paper targets are charging your position and must be stopped. I get it it. They are dangerous. If you would like I can send you some of mine, they wont charge your shooting bench.

The point is, your question is fucking stupid. I mean really. Why would I own a caliber which doesnt offer a 30 round mag? I dont know...Because....Wait for it....I LIKE TO SHOOT?

View All Quotes

Reread the question in the morning

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:35:18 AM EST
Because fuck them.....that's why
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:38:49 AM EST
In CO we had enough warning that we were able to stock up as much as possible. I have more PMAGs than I'll ever need now. Magpul did CO residents big favors in trying to get as many PMAGs out as possible before the ban.

Ammo can still be shipped here legally, as much as you want so as long as someone has the mags (however they got them), then there are no issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:43:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By coloradocopper:
In CO we had enough warning that we were able to stock up as much as possible. I have more PMAGs than I'll ever need now. Magpul did CO residents big favors in trying to get as many PMAGs out as possible before the ban.

Ammo can still be shipped here legally, as much as you want so as long as someone has the mags (however they got them), then there are no issues.
View Quote

CO is at the top of my list of places to live. I suppose if they can prove you became a resident after the legislation you are SOL, regardless of the date you bought your mags in another state?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:43:54 AM EST

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:59:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:02:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 5:05:06 AM EST by 999monkeys]
Originally Posted By Aimless:

When they passed the safe act some reporter was trolling a local gun range and found a couple of soldiers from the 10th Mountain trying to learn to shoot trap. She asked about the safe act and one of them said that it was stupid and he spent so much time practing swapping mags it didn't matter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

I live in a free state, but if I was in commie state I would still take 5.56, it kills fine, I can carry more 10rnd 5.56 mags than 10rnd 7.62 ones, the rifle itself will be lighter, faster follow up shots.

When they passed the safe act some reporter was trolling a local gun range and found a couple of soldiers from the 10th Mountain trying to learn to shoot trap. She asked about the safe act and one of them said that it was stupid and he spent so much time practing swapping mags it didn't matter.

I think anyone who shoots much would say the same ~ just another reason the laws are stupid. But on the other hand can't imagine carrying 87 mags around
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:08:23 AM EST
Because it only takes me 15 seconds to assemble my parts kits when in a free state or when the zombies come back?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:54:44 AM EST
View Quote

Man a lot of Commifornia butt hurt over this thread
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:29:01 AM EST
I would own a couple bolt guns regardless(my first 223 was actually a XP-100) that's where I really started to like the round.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:36:49 AM EST
For the same reason that mag restrictions are so ludicrous. You can do mag changes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:55:27 AM EST
Just curious

View Quote

When I'm shooting, I usually take at least 2-3 seconds between shots to adjust/check my aim. Adding another 2-3 seconds to swap mags is no big deal.
But why are the politicians telling me that I need to swap mags? That's the big deal.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:05:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By -GunNutJuell-:
Well, one thing is for sure, ban state people do NOT have 30's for their AR's.......... (Yeah, right)

I'm SOOOOO blessed to be in this no limited mag capacity state! (so far)
View Quote

Yep. I'm sure everybody got rid of them and none ever come into the state.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:15:44 AM EST
Not all rifles chambered in 223/556 are semi. Besides being a very accurate cartridge in and of itself, it's a great round for med to small game, easy enough to reload and doesn't break the bank if you go factory.

As for use in semis, I'm in a state which kept the AWB. I don't have a round limit (as of yet) and I do own many "high" cap mags (I know, 30's are "standard" just going with the current terms) with 30 or 20 round capacities, many more 20's then 30's as a preference. As long as they are pre-94 I'm gtg. In truth, I usually just bring a bunch of ten rounders with me to the range. I've no real use for the higher ones as I normally shoot 5 or ten round groups on rifles.

As for pistols, I've only one that accepts a double stack mag though I own many.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:20:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 8:39:09 AM EST by Et2ss]

View All Quotes

I see where you argument comes from but it's kind of silly.

Lots of reasons to shoot 5,56. Not all people are mall ninja's

Maybe you meant that if you live in a mag limit/ban state why own an AR?

I can tell you that answer as well..............cuz fuck the politicians, thats why
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:22:41 AM EST
.223/5.56 is an effective home defense round.
It works well on soft tissue at close range.
It tends not to over penetrate.
I can control the recoil and land more rounds on target, faster.
It's very much available, I can find bonded soft points at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:36:00 AM EST
OP has convinced me. I am going to take it one step further and get rid of all my firearms because this state limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds. There is obviously no reason to own an AR if you can't own 30s or a pistol if you can't own a 13, 17, or 19 round mag...

...useless question...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:56:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
OP has convinced me. I am going to take it one step further and get rid of all my firearms because this state limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds. There is obviously no reason to own an AR if you can't own 30s or a pistol if you can't own a 13, 17, or 19 round mag...

...useless question...

View Quote

May want to read the question
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:03:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 1:05:11 PM EST by Lon_Moer]
Just curious

View Quote
I don't understand your questions??
- what is the relevance of 10rd mag restriction?
- why wouldn't I shoot 5.56?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:14:59 PM EST

View All Quotes

this is the bullshit sorry ass train of thought the turned California into california
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:20:08 PM EST
Cheap, Available, Low recoil, I own guns that for the most part I'm going to use for target shooting. I don't need to play the caliber game on my rifles anyway, rifles will tear things up. Pistols, maybe it makes sense, but now that nationally the mag capacities are over, we're seeing .40 S&W fall out of popularity.

Also, I won't be in Cali forever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:01 PM EST

Yep, when America switched to M16 from M14 both held the same amount of ammo in the gun.

Its not like the capacity of the actual mag in the gun was a consideration.
View All Quotes

Yep, when America switched to M16 from M14 both held the same amount of ammo in the gun.

Its not like the capacity of the actual mag in the gun was a consideration.

I can live with just using 20 round mags....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:11 PM EST
I should have went .40 over 9mm in my M&P because 15 rounders are standard for .40, and 15 rounders for 9mm are impossible to find.

Other than that, Ive got nothing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:22:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Heuristic:
Because fuck them.....that's why
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:24:51 PM EST

CO is at the top of my list of places to live. I suppose if they can prove you became a resident after the legislation you are SOL, regardless of the date you bought your mags in another state?
View All Quotes

If you owned the magazines before July 2013 then you are allowed to have them. That being said, nobody is enforcing the law here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:26:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:
Just curious

Think of the 9mm vs .45 debate to put it in context. 9mm shooters justify their choice all day by saying capacity, capacity, capacity. Once the capacity argument is taken away, why not move to .45? I can think of a few reasons, such as if you want a tiny carry gun, etc.

The adequacy of the 5.56 round has been rehashed on here time and time again, so not looking to re-argue that. It seems like it always comes down to the ability to have 30 rounds in the mag (or for the military, the ability to carry a lot of it) offsetting some of its shortfalls. I am just wondering if I moved to a state with a mag restriction (or if anything came out of the Newtown recommendations), would I still shoot 5.56? Some of the better responses so far have talked to control and follow up shots.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:26:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 1:27:46 PM EST by uncle_big_green]

View All Quotes

Not quite. If anyone in law enforcement cared (some Denver and Boulder cops might), then they would have to prove that you aquired the magazines after July 1, 2013.

ETA: beat to the post by Punkface
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:28:15 PM EST
Because fuck the law.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:29:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By DADX3:
I think the question is why use a small caliber. If you only get 10 rounds why not .308.
View Quote
Because he is assuming the only motivation for owning them is for stopping power in a self defense or hunting engagement.

That is a narrow view.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:37:26 PM EST

View Quote

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top