Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2009 7:46:21 PM EDT

Do you regret it now?

I have tons of nephews and nieces, and no way in hell I could do that deal at this stage of my life.

First wife had a son from a previous marriage, no kids together for us.

Second wife, neither of us have kids or want them at this stage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been one, but I think I still got time. It is a goal of mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I still have time.

Yes, and no.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
7 nephews / nieces, 2 great nephews

why the fuck would i want to bring someone into the world now ? at the rate things are going with Zero as our Clown in Chief, it will be an embarrassment to be an American
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

why the fuck would i want to bring someone into the world now ? at the rate things are going with Zero as our Clown in Chief, it will be an embarrassment to be an American

To outbreed the stoop-sitters with productive freedom-loving types?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I want to bring someone into the world because that is what life is about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
13 nieces/nephews, 2 great nephews and 2 great nieces. I am in NO rush to have kids.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo. If you don't like your brother's/sister's kids don't raise your own like they did. I can't wait till I have a son that I can go shooting with.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is this same mentality that puts us at a great disadvantage, and why our breed will eventually die off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had any. Was married one time and been divorced going on 19 years.

If I was going to have any, my time has come and gone now. Going on 52 and not going to start
a family now.

Regrets? Yes. I tried when I was younger and married and it never happened.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never been one, but I think I still got time. It is a goal of mine.

Let me send you mine for a couple of weeks. You will re-think your goals.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still young, so i've got time.  Don't think i could handle kids at this point
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. If you don't like your brother's/sister's kids don't raise your own like they did. I can't wait till I have a son that I can go shooting with.

totally missed my point-

i love my nephews and nieces

what i wouldnt want to do, is bring someone into a world in which i am already suffering in. i can do all i want to raise them right- but the fact of the matter is there is still a terrible world around us right now and all the Hope and Change is only making it worse.

i wouldnt want to see any of my loved ones suffer, therefor i shall have no kids
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm 47 now. Never had any kids, yes I regret it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
This is how I react, when my wife makes me log off from arfcom.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm 47 now. Never had any kids, yes I regret it.

ditto
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pops worked on the shipping docks at the 3rd largest port in the country for 30+ years...and when he worked on Middle Eastern/Arabic ships that would come in he heard many stories of rich extremist Muslims recently paying extremist families to pump out more kids to increase their numbers in order to strengthen their extremist Muslim movement for future generations, big eye opener.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Like to have 6-7 kids one day...methinks I still got plenty of time being 19 and all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent most of my twenties trying desperately to not have a kid.  Now that I'm married and in my thirties I've spent thousands of dollars and the last five years trying to have a kid.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
 My Aunt and Uncle got a divorce recently, cause he wanted children his whole life but my aunt didn't. Finally I think my uncle finally had a mid-life crisis realizing he was 50 and childless, so he divorced my aunt and started sating a women who has some younger children. The look about him has changed totally, he is so happy now. Never knew he wanted children but my mom told us about it. No one brings it up to him, but yeah I think some people go all their lives thinking they don't want them, but at a certain age I think you start to have regrets.  

As for me I have a daughter and a son, And I look forward to the days when they are old enough to spend the day at the range with them. My daughter is going to be 10 this summer so atleast my daughter and I get to spend some time on the range this summer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
If I had kids at my age or younger, I would be regretting it. I want to get my education taken care of and set myself up financially for it, silly me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I never really knew what unconditional love was until i became a father. Too care about someone more than care about yourself is a wonderful thing. I cant imagine life without my two boys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

totally missed my point-

i love my nephews and nieces

what i wouldnt want to do, is bring someone into a world in which i am already suffering in. i can do all i want to raise them right- but the fact of the matter is there is still a terrible world around us right now and all the Hope and Change is only making it worse.

i wouldnt want to see any of my loved ones suffer, therefor i shall have no kids

Suffering is a fact of life. Some get bigger doses and more often than others. In fact, I'd say that what we call suffering in the United States is nothing compared to what suffering is in the rest of the world. Imagine wanting to have kids but the chances of having one reach adulthood is less than 50%. Believe it or not, the world is in a lot better shape today than it has been throughout most of history. It isn't going to stay that way, however, if people like us go the way of the dodo.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You feel that life's not worth living anymore?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
No.  Too busy trying to raise myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the 3 greatest kids any man could ever ask for.

I would do this again and again a million times.

I wouldn't trade my kids for all the wealth in the world.

HH

ETA:  2 from first wife, one with my wife now...31, 27 and 10.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You feel that life's not worth living anymore?

100,000+ members on ARFcom and i run into doctor Phil ?

honestly, i never asked to be here. but for the sake of the people who care about me, im sticking it out and making the best of it regardless of how difficult the last 15 years have been

what i dont want is for someone to rely on me to provide for them, but i cant no matter how hard i try due to government corruption
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 40, my wife is 45. When we got married, 18 years ago, we decided to not have children.

In 18 years, we've had one (1) fight. And that was because my father had to come live with us for a while and we were both irritated by him and we took it out on each other.

We are each other's best friend. I have zero regrets about not having children. I doubt our relationship would be as strong and loving as it is.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Almost 29, childless, and already had the snip-snip.

I'm selfish, like my me time, would beat to death a lippy teenager, ect.

In before the "if you don't have kids / religion / XYZ then you'll live a HOLLOW LIFE" people.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#29]
married 27 years w/ no younglings.

I don't want to share my toys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#30]
you all who don't want them should ask yourselves "who's going to take care of me when i'm older?"
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

you all who don't want them should ask yourselves "who's going to take care of me when i'm older?"

The government duh!

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Proper financial planning will get us into an A-one raisin ranch where they wipe your butt at least twice a day.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#34]
If the environment wasn't so adverse to building up wealth and passing it on to children, I might be more inclined to have them. If there are only values to be passed on, then there is the task of finding a woman of the right values, preparing a home, doing most of the teaching with private school or home schooling, and paying for college (optional I guess). When I look at my options everything seems so hostile toward properly rearing the next generation I am not motivated to get started.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#35]
These threads always fill up with people saying how they don't want kids, or people saying how great their kids are. But what everyone (including the OP) wants to hear about are people who HAVE kids and regret that they had them. We very rarely hear from them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I spent most of my twenties trying desperately to not have a kid.  Now that I'm married and in my thirties I've spent thousands of dollars and the last five years trying to have a kid.

Life, it isn't boring :)

I've got one, I don't regret it for a second.  I would have liked to have had more, but it just didn't work out that way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
31 and the thought of it freaks me out!

It's not so much the kid thing that I have the problem with, and more of "women are filthy lying gold digging whores" part that bothers me.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I get so sick of hearing people say that they don't want kids because "they don't want to bring children into a world like this." Give me a break. You think things are worse now than they have ever been or something? If you aren't man enough to step up then just admit it. If you don't have the strength to raise up a generation that can carry this fight into the future then maybe it's better that you remain childless.

You say that you care about this country? Then man up and provide the future with some leadership that is worthy to carry on. I look at my sons everyday and marvel at the men they are becoming. I wouldn't trade them or my daughter for all the gold in the world. Those of you who are purposefully childless and think you are as happy as you could be, may you continue in your delusions.

What the hell do you think our forefathers were fighting for? So we could just give up? My family has paid too high of a price in wars fought over the past two hundred thirty five years for me to throw in the towel. What would my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, or WWI, or WWII say if they saw that we were giving up? What would yours say? I owe it to them, if nothing else, to let their legacy carry on.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I get so sick of hearing people say that they don't want kids because "they don't want to bring children into a world like this." Give me a break. You think things are worse now than they have ever been or something? If you aren't man enough to step up then just admit it. If you don't have the strength to raise up a generation that can carry this fight into the future then maybe it's better that you remain childless.

You say that you care about this country? Then man up and provide the future with some leadership that is worthy to carry on. I look at my sons everyday and marvel at the men they are becoming. I wouldn't trade them or my daughter for all the gold in the world. Those of you who are purposefully childless and think you are as happy as you could be, may you continue in your delusions.

What the hell do you think our forefathers were fighting for? So we could just give up? My family has paid too high of a price in wars fought over the past two hundred thirty five years for me to throw in the towel. What would my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, or WWI, or WWII say if they saw that we were giving up? What would yours say? I owe it to them, if nothing else, to let their legacy carry on.

I care more about my personal happiness than the future of mankind. Just sayin'. As far as I'm concerned this whole perceived existence ceases to exist the moment I die. You guys can say "then you shouldn't have kids!" And I'll say "Roger that."

Wife just got news from her lady-parts doctor the other day that she's unlikely to be able to conceive, and even less likely to be able to carry a child to term. I'm pretty psyched about it. We're getting a puppy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
i dont want kids, because i have shitty depression and i don't want them getting progressively more depressed to the point of feeling shitty damn near every fucking day through their waking hours and sleeping hours.

i don't know if the other folks who say they don't want to bring kids into this shitty world aren't depressed themselves and just dont know it or dont want to admit it
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#41]
No, I walk this world alone..
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#42]
having kids is the only chance any of us have at immortality.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Ask me in 20 years. And as a continuance of what Hawken said, I fear my family name will die with me. Or my middle brother, since he is the exercise junkie...
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
These threads always fill up with people saying how they don't want kids, or people saying how great their kids are. But what everyone (including the OP) wants to hear about are people who HAVE kids and regret that they had them. We very rarely hear from them.

I've heard it before in real life.  I admired her candor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#45]

No kids. I am young but dont regret not having any to this point.

It bugs me when people who have kids or have been married talk about me not being married or having kids as if it is a right of passage to maturity or I will gain all of life's experiences from it.

If being divorced 3 times, not working overtime because your wife thinks you might be cheating, or getting 5 phone calls in a meeting = maturity than they can keep it. One of my life experiences is throwing big $$ in a 401k and eating a bowl of mac and cheese for dinner; right before getting 8 hours of restful sleep.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#46]
No kids yet, but maybe we will try this summer; after we break ground on our new home.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ask me in 20 years. And as a continuance of what Hawken said, I fear my family name will die with me. Or my middle brother, since he is the exercise junkie...

Mine almost certainly will, which isn't really a bad thing.  That half of my family is 90% crazy/white trash and I'm adopted anyways.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm 41 now. I've been married for 10 years and have now traveled the world with my wife. Just when we were ready, we find out that she may not be able to concieve. Myself and my brother are the last two to carry on our family name. That may not seem like a lot to some, but to my family it does. We will continue to try and with the help of science may in time have a young one so I can share all the toys I have accululated over the years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm 41 now. I've been married for 10 years and have now traveled the world with my wife. Just when we were ready, we find out that she may not be able to concieve. Myself and my brother are the last two to carry on our family name. That may not seem like a lot to some, but to my family it does. We will continue to try and with the help of science may in time have a young one so I can share all the toys I have accululated over the years.

Good luck. My sister and her husband had two kids after they turned 40 through artificial insemination. Best decision they ever made. Don't give up.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you regret it now?

I have tons of nephews and nieces, and no way in hell I could do that deal at this stage of my life.

First wife had a son from a previous marriage, no kids together for us.

Second wife, neither of us have kids or want them at this stage.

Nadda, nope, never, hardly, forgetaboutit, no way in hell, ain't going to happen... No rugrats for me.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top