Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 4/14/2006 3:54:33 AM EST
A good buddy of mine did not comply with a failure to yield ticket from 2 months ago, and he doesn't know whether it will bar him from a background check with his FFL dealer.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking it will.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:56:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 4:00:36 AM EST by U_Down_Wit_OPP]
No, it won't, unless it's a pending felony or domestic violence charge.
There is nothing in the Brady Bill that allows for denial based on the status of ones drivers license.

Unless the card itself is somehow invalidated (in which case a State ID card would suffice), all the drivers license itself does is to serve as identification to verify who you are, which is all you need. It has nothing to do with "driving" when it's being used to purchase a firearm.
There is no predication for purchasing a firearm that relies on a driving privilege.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:01:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:06:49 AM EST
Damn it! I was thinking that I was going to have to take that new 6920 off his FFL's hands for him and give it a good home. Shit!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:09:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:12:09 AM EST
Shouldnt, unless theres more to the story.

Hell, you dont even need a drivers license to buy a gun from an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:14:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

Nothing more to the story, I was in the car with him and he made a mistake, and receieved a moving violation, he's been caught up with work and forgot about it I guess.

I thought you needed a D/L or State Issued ID for an FFL transfer?

Before I get flamed, I've never claimed to be a know all, my FFL transfers have been really really limited... to exactly 2.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:18:50 AM EST
"A good buddy of mine did not comply with a failure to yield ticket from 2 months ago"

From your description, he was a noshow in court and didn't pay the fine ahead of time.

If this is the case, there should be a bench warrant out on him, and he will have a difficult time with the background check.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:20:33 AM EST
If you have one, couldn't you use a US Passport?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:21:11 AM EST
Not entirely correct, when you receive a citation in FL (Broward County at least), you have the option of traffic school, pay the fine, or go to court, he never sent in his option. So I don't know where that puts him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:29:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 4:34:18 AM EST by FLAL1A]
It shouldn't. It won't show up on NCIC/FCIC if the offense is as described.

His license is almost certainly suspended. There's no warrant out if it was just a Failure to Yield, which is a civil infraction in Florida. The penalty for noncompliance is automatic adjudication of guilt (with points) and suspension for nonpayment of the fine. It can be straightened out to avoid the points, but it's a pain in the ass.

The smart thing to do (again, assuming it's just a civil infraction) is to go to the office of the Clerk of the Court, where they will tell him whether he can still get a court date (probably not; IIRC 45 days is the max without some fancy lawyering/string pulling), and if not will tell him the amount of the fine & where to pay it. If he wasn't already on the verge of a point suspension, he'll just lose the fine money (plus a reinstatement fee from the DMV - $25, I think) and most of a day futzing around in various government offices.

Some counties have facilities with a Clkerk's Office, Tax Collector's Office, & DMV branch all in the same building. If his county has one, that's the place to go.

ETA: It's rarely enforced except against people who are complete pricks, but mere possession of a suspended license is a criminal (arrestable) offense in Florida, as is driving while under suspension.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:30:20 AM EST
In most states now, if you blow off a traffic ticket, the judge gets pissed and issues a bench warrant.

Next time you get stopped for a traffic infraction or DUI checkpoint, and they run your ID, you get a ride to the Graybar Hotel. Then you get to "go through the system". It really sucks if this happens on a Friday night or weekend, usually can't resolve anything till Monday morning.

It ceases to be a traffic matter once you "forget" to go to court, it jumps into the criminal arena.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:45:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:49:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 5:10:33 AM EST by FLAL1A]

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

ETA: It's rarely enforced except against people who are complete pricks, but mere possession of a suspended license is a criminal (arrestable) offense in Florida, as is driving while under suspension.

That's worse than NY!

Our criminalizing driving after having a license revoked for failure to appear on a ticket really clogs up the court system here with crap cases.

It is pretty harsh. However, most cops don't know it's on the books and the ones who do reserve it, as I said, for absolute dipshits who need to go to jail for whatever reason can be conjured.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:53:06 AM EST
Always get a duplicate license if you know you're going to lose your current license as a backup
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:54:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Chimpy:

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

Nothing more to the story, I was in the car with him and he made a mistake, and receieved a moving violation, he's been caught up with work and forgot about it I guess.

I thought you needed a D/L or State Issued ID for an FFL transfer?

Before I get flamed, I've never claimed to be a know all, my FFL transfers have been really really limited... to exactly 2.

Very good. You hit the nail on the head.
Or a State issued ID card.

Which was my problem. I moved to Kansas from Missouri and went to buy a gun. Apparently my Mo DL wasnt good enough, they wanted a Ks one. So I went and got an ID card and bought my gun.

Now, I have a Mo DL and a Ks ID card.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:04:49 AM EST
In Florida he should be OK. There shouldn't be a warrant out but his license has probably gotten suspended.

Worst case scenario he needs to get s FL ID Card and surender his DL but he should be good to go
Top Top