Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:44:28 PM EDT
My honors government class is collecting a bunch of clothing and then trucking it down to the Goodwill in Houston, TX. If any of you guys would like to donate some used clothing, you can mail it to my house and I'll take it to school. You can IM me for my address. I don't know if it would be worth it to ship the clothes to me, but I'll make sure they get to Goodwill (which is giving them out to both refugees and agencies working for the recovery effort). I hope this post sounds legit, there are many members on the site that can vouch for me. I apologize for the poor writing in this post, I only got a few hours of sleep last night.

Mods, please tack.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn!!! longtime no see! Someone please post the pic of him dressed as a female hooker!!!!(from Arfcom Fear Factor)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
So we should send you some old worn out underwear with shit stains in them?  Because I just want to make sure it doesn't have to have the tags on it like was reported on this site earlier.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I live very close to the dome and as I understand they aren't looking for anymore clothes.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I live very close to the dome and as I understand they aren't looking for anymore clothes.

This isn't really for Astrodome refugees, this is for the Goodwill there in Houston. From my communication with them, they seem to want clothes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So we should send you some old worn out underwear with shit stains in them?  Because I just want to make sure it doesn't have to have the tags on it like was reported on this site earlier.  

Not sure I understand this post, but no, tags are not required. We are looking for used clothing. Obviously we want it to be clean, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm donating 52 BILLION Fucking dollars.  I'm going to Strap YOU and your KIDS with paying back  that debt.  Your taxes are going to rise.   YOUR (and my) paycheck is going to buy much less due to inflation.  That's the Senates gift to you for your generosity to N/O.    A spineless Senate afraid of being labeled 'racist'  immediately gives away BILLIONS we don't have.  The city will be built  BETTER  than it ever was with plenty of Graft, overcharges and corruption equal to the reputation of LA.  

Katria is going to be remembered by the people of N/O as the single most valuable and wonderful thing every to happen to N/O.  Go ahead, flame away sonny boy, I'm OLD enough to know how these things work.   Pork on a MASSIVE unbelieveable scale.   Lot's of folks in N/O are going to clean up on this one at the Nations expense.    

The slush fund of BILLIONS will be distributed by the local politicals like drunken sailors 6 hours into shore leave with port whores.   YOU and ME are going to see BAD inflatation in the next 12 months - real serious inflation.   A stupid war and a Senate that got carried away with emotion, not common sense.

The 52 Billion is FAR more than should be spent and sadly the local politicos will ask for and probably get more.

Oh BOY, let's rebuild a city BELOW SEA LEVEL that abuts the gulf!    Some ugly times are coming and they are coming sooner, not later.    Help the people with some cloths, what the heck, it's more thoughtful than the 52 Billion the Senate is sending.    
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My honors government class is bla bla bla....t I'll make sure they get to Goodwill (which is giving them out to both refugees and agencies working for the recovery effort) bla bla bla.. I hope this post sounds legit, there are many members on the site that can vouch for me.

Kiddie, get the heck out of your "Government class" and learn something worthwhile.  Get a f'ing job while you're at it.  Try studying engineering, medicine, truck driving or something Productive that actually contributes to society.    Excuse me now as I need to puke.  Sorry for being such a jerk kiddo, i just don't have a lot of patience for innocent and dumb people right at the moment.   I'm be nicer next time.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My honors government class is bla bla bla....t I'll make sure they get to Goodwill (which is giving them out to both refugees and agencies working for the recovery effort) bla bla bla.. I hope this post sounds legit, there are many members on the site that can vouch for me.

Kiddie, get the heck out of your "Government class" and learn something worthwhile.  Get a f'ing job while you're at it.  Try studying engineering, medicine, truck driving or something Productive that actually contributes to society.    Excuse me now as I need to puke.  Sorry for being such a jerk kiddo, i just don't have a lot of patience for innocent and dumb people right at the moment.   I'm be nicer next time.  

A little harsh man, but I kinda know what you mean
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, I'd say that "Government" is a pretty worthy field of study, considering how much government we've got nowadays.  

This is also a high school class and he should be lauded for taking the more difficult "honors" section.  Most high school graduates can't find their ass with both hands when it comes to the way this country governs itself and they're all going to be voting here before too long.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Um, I'd say that "Government" is a pretty worthy field of study, considering how much government we've got nowadays.  

This is also a high school class and he should be lauded for taking the more difficult "honors" section.  Most high school graduates can't find their ass with both hands when it comes to the way this country governs itself and they're all going to be voting here before too long.

Yes, my error.  I really didn't equate him with H.S.  My response was framed for a college kid that wants to save the world, not an innocent H.S. kid.   My error, my apology for the slap, but NO apology for my opinion.   Sorry kiddo, didn't mean to be so harse on YOU.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, my error.  I really didn't equate him with H.S.  My response was framed for a college kid that wants to save the world, not an innocent H.S. kid.   My error, my apology for the slap, but NO apology for my opinion.   Sorry kiddo, didn't mean to be so harse on YOU.

Well, I'm working towards a BA in Foreign Affairs from the Department of Politics at my school, but I'm no wide-eyed innocent that wants to save the world.  I just need a piece of paper to get further in my career field and figured a degree in Foreign Affairs would make me more efficient at killing foreigners.  We're not all a bunch of broke-dick commie pinko fags, ya know.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm in high school, have a job, take ALL honors classes, I'm first in my class, got a 1490 on the SAT, and plan on studying mechanical engineering. But it isn't exactly horrible that I want to help people that were dumb enough to live below sea level, is it? If you made the mistake of hitting a phone pole while you were driving, and it was entirely your fault, you'd still want an ambulance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
^

for 24 hour tack

Are all tacked threads like this
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm working towards a BA in Foreign Affairs from the Department of Politics at my school, but I'm no wide-eyed innocent that wants to save the world.  I just need a piece of paper to get further in my career field and figured a degree in Foreign Affairs would make me more efficient at killing foreigners.  We're not all a bunch of broke-dick commie pinko fags, ya know.  

Sounds like you should work for the CIA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You win the award for dumbest post of the month
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm in high school, have a job, take ALL honors classes, I'm first in my class, got a 1490 on the SAT, and plan on studying mechanical engineering. But it isn't exactly horrible that I want to help people that were dumb enough to live below sea level, is it? If you made the mistake of hitting a phone pole while you were driving, and it was entirely your fault, you'd still want an ambulance.

Don't bother.

This is the same person promoting the notion that the average "common folk" of NO are gonna clean up with all that relief money. He can't even figure out that USED CLOTHES are not being funded by his tax dollars.

Goodwill is just that, "good will." Some people here have it, some apparantly don't.

I don't mind that he doesn't seem to have it but I think it is the mark of a complete jackass to jump your shit because you do have it. And that is MY OPINION and I will make "NO apology for my opinion."

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Goodwill clothes is a very nice gesture, but honestly those victims should send me their old castoffs.  I am probably already contributing $1200 to this effort, and their $2000. debit card is more than my clothes budget for the decade.

I hope I don't sound like some of the other cheap and mean bastards, but I think that the .gov throwing good money after bad is making many people feel like they "gave at the office"  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#21]
<--------Political Science major.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF!!!

As SteyrAUG stated, "USED CLOTHES are not being funded by <> tax dollars"!!!

How can anyone gripe about their tax dollars getting wasted and, in the same breath, also refuse any personal assistance as a private individual?  If you want to prove that the Gov must be the one to help (right - an oxymoron), then just refuse to offer any help yourself (a self-fulling prophecy).

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Sniper_Wolfe
We have donated the clothes local. We expect to have an influx of 1400 people from Miss and LA  into FT Picket.

Dont let some whiney bastard pissing on your efforts bother you.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#27]
they don't need anymore clothes.  They have more than they can handle in Houston.  I have seen the stacks at Reliant Hall, the dome and George R. Brown.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they don't need anymore clothes.  They have more than they can handle in Houston.  I have seen the stacks at Reliant Hall, the dome and George R. Brown.

We read your same post on page one.  We also read the response to it.  Now, if you don't mind, let this young man continue with his charity drive.  OK?    

I wanted to clarify that I have seen and sorted through the clothes myself volunteering there.  And have seen them turn away clothes.

Why do you have to get so pissy?

There are things they actually need desperatly why not send that stuff?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#31]
free bump for Sniper Wolfe
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#32]
We have these "clothe the globe" recpetacles or whatever they're calling themselves. They're all over the place in MD and I can only assume they are cleaning them out and sending them to the refugees. I usually drop clothes in them once or twice a year... and I save on shipping.

Most cities also have Goodwill dumpsters in them and I'm pretty sure they don't take everything out of those and put them on the Goodwill store clothing racks.

Churches also do a lot of collections like this.. in addition to food drives and such.

I know you're trustworthy and your heart (or your professor's heart) is in the right place, but given the situation I think each city's Goodwill center is capable of handling it without jamming up the mail system.

Salivation Army

Salvation Army Serving Storm Survivors

The Salvation Army is currently providing services to storm survivors and first responders in the Gulf Coast states.

A $100 donation to The Salvation Army will feed a family of four for two days, provide two cases of drinking water and one household clean-up kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets, and cleaning supplies

Goodwill

In addition, Goodwill Industries International is accepting online donations to help meet the immediate needs of Goodwill employees and program participants in the affected areas.  After these needs are met, the funds will be used to help them resume their jobs, or find new ones, as well as to rebuild the employment and career programs provided by Goodwill agencies in the Gulf region.  

Goodwill Manager: "Hey everyone, we're getting a huge payraise this month... and we're also making a donation of $3.62 to the Katrina Storm Relief."
Goodwill Employees: "YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!"

All thes eplaces seem to think handing out cash is the best way to help these people. If they don't realize that's the worse thing they can do for them they'll figure it out real soon...

If you just want some dirty skivvies though I'll see what I can do for you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't agree with you pathfinder74 but it's nice to read a courteously stated opinion even when it's different from mine.

Around here anyway, Salvation Army and Goodwill won't accept clothes but do want cash.  I can't help but think some folks, even folks here on ARFCOM, can't give cash but can give good usable clothes.  Therefore, I think Sniper_Wolfe is on a reasonable quest and I think we agree he's a stand-up guy to even give it a try.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't agree with you pathfinder74 but it's nice to read a courteously stated opinion even when it's different from mine.

Around here anyway, Salvation Army and Goodwill won't accept clothes but do want cash.  I can't help but think some folks, even folks here on ARFCOM, can't give cash but can give good usable clothes.  Therefore, I think Sniper_Wolfe is on a reasonable quest and I think we agree he's a stand-up guy to even give it a try.

Steve

Yeah, I'm not shitting on his idea... but I suspect there are ways to get the clothes there in larger volumes by way of clothing charities.

Salvation Army Pick-Up of Donations

Odds are if you put flyers around your school and cities and got a rental UHaul truck and put on the flyers that you'll be driving through neighborhoods on a certain day and for people to leave a bag of clothes by the curb or door or maybe at a church that you can coordinate with you'll probably get good results. Make sur eyou put on it that it's being organized by students... otherwise they'll think it;s a scam and put a PR number to someone at the school who knows you're doing this for people check the validity of the flyers.

ETA: If you want even better results, tell them this guy will be picking up the clothes personally.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I've talked to the manager at Goodwill. They said that demand from individuals is subsiding to an extent, but that they work with other agencies through which clothes can be distributed.

We're not jamming up the mail system, either. A local moving company (my girlfriend's mom) is donating their services.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Shit I would have donated a bunch of stuff for you.. wish I read this earlier.
My company has a drive going and that is where all of our stuff went.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Here are the pics of what we got on Day 1:

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here are the pics of what we got on Day 1:

www.tenringhosting.com/ViewImage.aspx?PID=7830fab4-a8dd-4c2e-a14d-3a4884a420f4

Man, I can't believe somebody donated a perfectly good white boy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Good thread there Sniper....if you still need stuff IM me and I'll start shipping.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, if you have any building supplies that you wish to donate, contact you local high schools FFA (Future Farmer of America) club, they should be sending a shipment down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top