Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2014 8:53:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:54:40 AM EDT
I was smart enough to successfully dodge said encounters.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:55:14 AM EDT
Yep, even joined 'em.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:56:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
It seems that those I encountered as teenagers the vast majority I again had dealings with as they became adults.

I have to admit I did not think my nephew would learn his lesson after dad shot him but so far he seems to be keeping his life in order.
View Quote

Uh, some backstory?

It depends, I have friends who were dipshits and straitened out. All in all though shitbirds usually grow into shithawks bobandy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
It seems that those I encountered as teenagers the vast majority I again had dealings with as they became adults.

I have to admit I did not think my nephew would learn his lesson after dad shot him but so far he seems to be keeping his life in order.
View Quote

Commas, bro.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:02 AM EDT
I was quite the outlaw as a teen and young man.. I haven't had even a speeding ticket in the past 10 years
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 8:58:42 AM EDT by Miles_Urbanus]
No I was afraid of my Dad not the law. So never went down that path. Also I was aware at a early age that youthful indiscretions could negatively effect future career options.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:10 AM EDT
Yes. I learned:

A. Our small town cops were fat and ran really slow for about 50 yards before giving up, shaking their porkfist in the air and yelling at the injustice of it all.
B. Never wave your dick at the camera covering the cell, because a female Police Explorer classmate may be on "duty" and get offended.
C. Don't get caught.
D. Being charged with "False Public Alarm" can happen in many different ways.
E. "Disorderly Conduct" is a "catch-all" charge for when they got nothing else.
F. Don't get caught.
G. Don't hang out with slow runners who narc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:58 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Suicideking:

Uh, some backstory?

It depends, I have friends who were dipshits and straitened out. All in all though shitbirds usually grow into shithawks bobandy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Uh, some backstory?

Talk about cliffhanger of the century!!!

Anyway, I've never had a run in with the law other than some asshole cop who followed me all the way to school in order to give me a ticket in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:03:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:04:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 9:05:52 AM EDT by cthulhu]
Oh, hell yeah I learned my lesson. :)

Some of the kids I ran with learned too, some did not. They are the ones who are dead, or in jail, or living pretty jacked up lives.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:05:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Recusance:
Yep, even joined 'em.
View Quote

After several run ins with some good honest cops and some probation, me too.

I don't think expungements work the same anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:05:50 AM EDT
I did. I'm an attorney today, but it still kept me out of the military.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:08:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By p4plenty:
I was quite the outlaw as a teen and young man.. I haven't had even a speeding ticket in the past 10 years
View Quote

This was my case as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:08:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:08:45 AM EDT

Uh, some backstory?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1523966_Well_after_6_months_and_9_days_later__my_dad_was_cleared_in_his_self_defense_shooting_.html&light=dad

Sounds like a rough day. I have no tolerance for putting hands on a woman (with a very select few exceptions obviously).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:09:33 AM EDT
Yep, even joined 'em.
View Quote

Same here. I caused quite a few problems for my hometown police force when I was young and dumb. Nothing major, just general jackassery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:09:47 AM EDT

View Quote

Hey, I know a guy from Alabama that had been shot by both his mother, and his father on separate occasions. He was the son of the owner of a bar I had the misfortune of working in many years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:31 AM EDT
Yep, even joined 'em.
View Quote

Same here. I caused quite a few problems for my hometown police force when I was young and dumb. Nothing major, just general jackassery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:20:59 AM EDT
It depends on how you are. So lets see I'm 60 and grew up in a city environment where the cops drove three wheel motorcycles and carried a 38 caliber 6 shooter they knew our parents and were decent guys they always looked out for us. Times were different people were different. I even belonged to the PAL shooting league which was located right in the basement of the old turn of the century police station. Did I learn anything?I sure did, keep the man out of your life they don't make them like they use to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:23:23 AM EDT
I seldom go in trouble with the law. The few imes I did, were the last times I participated in the offending activity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:23:50 AM EDT
I got in a lot of trouble as a teen. At some point I decided I needed to get the F@@k out of town, so I joined the Air Force.

15 years latter I was commissioned as a 2LT, and retired a couple years ago.

So my troubled teen years stopped when I joined the AF.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:25:56 AM EDT
I straightened out after a felony fleeing charge got plea bargained down to a misdemeanor. A gun to the back of the head and a face full of cement makes you rethink some things...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:29:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:30:24 AM EDT
I was a damn boyscout so zero record...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:34:13 AM EDT
Yes I learned, It took a DUI and about 9K of my savings at 22 years old. Never have gotten behind the wheel of a car under the influence again. GD can now proceed to wish death upon me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:38:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 9:39:32 AM EDT by testify4]
A minor incident, but law enforcement was involved, and I did learn my lesson.

- Shut up. Stay shut up.
- If one of your accomplices is the son of a Marine, he's going to eventually talk, no matter how much you trust him.
- Once all of the cards were on the table, that feeling in the pit of my stomach is something I don't care to experience again.
- A public defender can explain how you are boned and how boned you are, but may not have interest in getting you un-boned.
- Your parents don't enjoy taking time off of work to bring you to a hearing.
- During your community service, just work off your time.

Fortunately it was all before I was 18, but that little taste was all I needed to stay clean until my stupid frontal lobe finished maturing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:41:37 AM EDT
The police department where I come from was riddled with thieves, thugs, drunks, and predators. Fortunately we had a real good sheriff's office.

The lesson I learned as a teenager was to avoid law enforcement.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:42:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sefus:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sefus:
Originally Posted By p4plenty:

+1
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
Had a few dealings with them. There was very little in the way lessons I could learn from them. So, no.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:49:17 AM EDT
A friend of mine was arrested a few times as a teenager and spent a little time in juvie. Ended up going to college and making about 100k a year. No one who knows him now would ever think he was once written off by his parents and everyone thought he would end up in prison.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
I had lots of encounters with LEO's when I was young and doing stupid shit. The one time I was arrested as a juvi, was enough for me. Kept my nose clean since
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 9:59:47 AM EDT by danpass]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:23 AM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:40 AM EDT
I don't speed now...and I avoid situations where I could be mistaken for kidnapping my friends...so yes I learned.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:54:25 AM EDT
I graduated HS from a little two horse town with a huge local PD that had nothing better to do than harass the shit out of HS kids. Therefore I had dozens of citations and written warnings for all kinds of traffic violations, and the usual HS shenanigans like criminal trespass (walking through a ghost town, not doing anything but looking around it), minor in possession, etc. I had to do a shitload of work to get a moral waiver to even join the .mil. My record as an adult has been spotless though, so I guess I really learned my lesson.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:55:07 AM EDT
Yep.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:59:28 AM EDT
We never got caught for much , and the few dealings were , for the most part , quite dull and just SOP .

One of us does gunsmith machining on the side and did some work for a cop that we had more than one run in with

I'm friends with one on FB and shoot the bull all the time a heluva nice guy and very down-to-earth-practical...always was.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:00:12 AM EDT
The lesson I learned is that small town cops are crooked as hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:01:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By esa17:
View Quote

And next time, don't get caught.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:02:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By R_Fury:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_Fury:
Originally Posted By esa17:

I was charged with 11 felony counts for playing hockey on a basketball court.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:58 AM EDT
I lucked up and avoided a couple of minor scrapes as a teenage yoot. Of course that was back when the local cops knew my dad and decided he could make a bigger impression on me than they could.

Had one cousin who decided he "liked to fight" and was arrested a couple of times after beating the hell out of someone. Cops didn't turn his life around, though. He decided to beat one of them a second time and ended up with a .45 round through the cheek and jaw. That settled him down a good bit, then I told him he was lucky the guy didn't empty the whole mag into the side of his head like I would have done. After thinking about that, he decided fighting wasn't fun any more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 10:18:59 AM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]
Never had any trouble with the law as a teen. I didn't necessarily follow the law particularly close; but I loved my parents and would have rather gone to jail than disappoint them by having them find out what a little shit I'd been. So I mostly limited myself to childish hijinks that I judged I had a low probability of getting caught in. Naturally, there were a couple of times where my judgment wasn't the best but I managed to get unbelievably lucky.

Once we were riding around in a friend's pick-up truck in Oklahoma City. My friend looked like a cast member from "Vikings." The other guy and me were both brown/black hair eyes and vaguely swarthy We were about 17 and had 3-4 bottles of liquor with us to get ready for the weekend. It was about 5pm on a Friday when this cop starts following us - so we turn off into a side street. He continues to follow. We turn into another side street and pull into a strange driveway and he drives on down the main road through this residential area. After he passes, we congratulate ourselves on our cleverness and complain why the cops are always giving us a hard time when we haven't done anything (yet). We drive to the the main residential road and turn back the way we came to get back to our original direction of travel.

All of a sudden, from behind us, a car comes flying up. Yup, it's the cop. He pulls us over. The guy to my right ducks down and starts stuffing liquor under the bench seat. Cop asks us what we are doing, blah, blah, blah. Is there anything in the car I should know about? "Of course not, officer!" Unfortunately, this guy isn't an idiot and he knows what the "duck and cover" routine means because he reaches under the seat and pulls out a bottle of liquor. He orders us out of the car. He goes back to run the plates on the truck. The plates are taking forever to come back (I later learn this was because the driver didn't want to pay the renewal fee and swapped either his plates or his tag with another truck of a similar make but different color). Before the cop can discover this important piece of the story though, he gets a call from dispatch that pulls him away to a serious crime in progress. So other than the one bottle of liquor we had to pour out, we get off scot free (and fortunately for us, he never found the other three bottles, so our weekend plans remained intact).

Let's see of the group I knew in high school...

1. "Tough guy/bad guy" rep -> now convicted felon in federal prison in AZ
2. "Petty thief/convicted shoplifter" -> Corrections Officer then small business owner
3. "Petty thief/convicted shoplifter" ->military, gov't job, married an heiress and is now a respectable family man

As for me, pretty much the only law I regularly break* (at least with intent/awareness) is speeding. I desperately hope my karma has evened out and I never have to deal with the young version of me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 10:56:43 AM EDT by Ibn_Huq]
N/A
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:28:11 AM EDT
My experiences with the law as a teenager only taught me to be better about not getting caught in the future.

My changing my ways had nothing to do with the law, but with other factors.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:30:05 AM EDT
yeah for the most part i learned my lessons.

took a while
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2014 10:33:49 AM EDT by GlutealCleft]
Originally Posted By testify4:
- If one of your accomplices is the son of a Marine, he's going to eventually talk, no matter how much you trust him.
View Quote

I would have said:

- Any of your accomplices may rat you out at any time, especially if it's beneficial to them. Even if they've been loyal in the past.

I learned that well before I even left grade school. Then I would have added:

- Even if you're on the straight and narrow, police are not always on your side, and may be against you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:34:12 AM EDT
Mostly, still have an intense disrespect for speed limits though, if I'm in the car and not in town, I'm speeding.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:35:04 AM EDT
Learned to get better at not getting caught

Learned to get better at talking my way out of it

Learned to get better at knowing when to shut the fuck up

Learned that good lawyers cost real money, but can be quite effective (this assumes I have properly first shut the fuck up)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:09:54 AM EDT
"Being a teenager" is not a valid excuse for breakling the law. I never got in trouble with the law and neither did any of my friends.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:16:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fiver:
Learned to get better at not getting caught

Learned to get better at talking my way out of it

Learned to get better at knowing when to shut the fuck up

Learned that good lawyers cost real money, but can be quite effective (this assumes I have properly first shut the fuck up)
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself. Do a much better job of keeping myself out of situations where the above lessons learned would be needed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top