Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2008 1:35:17 AM EDT
Would it be kosher to wear it outside the house? Say it said Navy SEALs on it and my buddy from the SEALS gave it to me, is it all right? Of course I wont go around saying I am SEAL but I dont to come off as a poser.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
i see no problem with it so long as you clarify that it was a gift if someone asks.

showing support for that unit is great...but yeah...poser = bad
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a t-shirt, not a uniform.  Wear it.  If anyone gives you shit tell them to FOAD
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:04:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's a t-shirt, not a uniform.  Wear it.  If anyone gives you shit tell them to FOAD
This

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I find it amussing that people ask the internet if it's okay for them to wear a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I find it amussing that people ask the internet if it's okay for them to wear a t-shirt.

He is just wondering if people with like interest find it appropriate, jeez dude.

And knock your socks off OP.  I have a friend that has some health problems and wasn't able to join the military, but he sports a USMC decor plate on his camaro and he always sports a hat my brother and I bought at Parris Island (We're both Marines).  

It's no problem to show your support for the troops and your friends.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:16:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Internet is many people's primary source of information.  I don't see a problem with it.  
Yes, it's just a t-shirt.  But, it is really a question about showing courtesy and respect to service members.

BTW...  It is your actions that make you a poser, not a t-shirt.  Wear it with pride.

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is just wondering if people with like interest find it appropriate, jeez dude.

And knock your socks off OP.  I have a friend that has some health problems and wasn't able to join the military, but he sports a USMC decor plate on his camaro and he always sports a hat my brother and I bought at Parris Island (We're both Marines).  

It's no problem to show your support for the troops and your friends.

Thanks, I assume this applies to  underwear too?

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Edit

[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:32:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for answering you information Nazi

okay heres my answer. Your friend gave you that shirt to wear, not to put in your dresser drawer as a keepsake, why because you are men not chicks. Even if every member here told you not to wear it because you would be a poser, fuck em' wear it anyway because you want to and it's a cool fucking shirt.

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have bought a few t-shirts from the local fire department for different fund raisers but I don't go around saying I am with the fire department.  

I don't see a problem wearing one as long as you don't say you are Seal, Ranger, Teacher, or what ever.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a story for your review and comment.

I was attending a LE firearms instructor course with a friend of mine. Let call him John.

John was wearing a t-shirt from a particular SEAL team. The shirt was a gift from a member of that team, let's call him Luke.

One of the other students at the class, let's call him Matthew, asked John if he was on that team. To which John replied in the negative and said it was a gift.

It turned out that Matthew was a SEAL and was none too pleased that John was wearing the shirt. Matthew indicated that it was in poor taste and might lead to physical conflict in some locations with certain members.

So John calls Luke and tells him the story. Luke says John is full of shit and its cool to wear a team shirt as a show of support.

End of story.

Not quite sure what to make of all of this, but you may find it useful.

-Z

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a story for your review and comment.

I was attending a LE firearms instructor course with a friend of mine. Let call him John.

John was wearing a t-shirt from a particular SEAL team. The shirt was a gift from a member of that team, let's call him Luke.

One of the other students at the class, let's call him Matthew, asked John if he was on that team. To which John replied in the negative and said it was a gift.

It turned out that Matthew was a SEAL and was none too pleased that John was wearing the shirt. Matthew indicated that it was in poor taste and might lead to physical conflict in some locations with certain members.

So John calls Luke and tells him the story. Luke says John is full of shit and its cool to wear a team shirt as a show of support.

End of story.

Not quite sure what to make of all of this, but you may find it useful.

-Z

This is why I am asking, I dont want to offend people who can run 10k in 30 min, do 200 continous pushups, run 24 k in fours with a 100lb pack, swim 7k openwater in 4 hours and circumsize a fly with an m16.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay heres my answer. Your friend gave you that shirt to wear, not to put in your dresser drawer as a keepsake, why because you are men not chicks. Even if every member here told you not to wear it because you would be a poser, fuck em' wear it anyway because you want to and it's a cool fucking shirt.

I am not asking if I will offend non serving people, I am asking if it will disrepect those who put themsevles in harms way so that I can sleep at night.

edit
for spelling and COC
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not asking if I will offend armchair commandos like you, I am asking if it will disrepect those who put themsevles in arms way so that I can sleep at night.

It's "harm's" way
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Wear it.  

As long as it was a gift, and you're not claiming to be something you're not, I don't see the problem.

I've got two drawers full of T-shirts from SWAT teams I've trained with, military units I deployed with, and so forth.  I've worn them for years, and nobody's ever given me the stink-eye.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Wear it with pride.
Just be honest when someone asks and take the opportunity to praise your friend and their efforts on behalf of the U.S.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i guess someone missed the thread i had tacked on showing a little comoon respect and coutrtesy to your fellow forum members.

Sorry boss, I slipped. I will try to keep it in line.

Anything but the pineapple again please
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not asking if I will offend armchair commandos like you, I am asking if it will disrepect those who put themsevles in arms way so that I can sleep at night.

It's "harm's" way

Whoops, anyways... enemy guns are connected to hands and hands are connected to arms so its still correct!

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a T shirt that my friend's unit in Iraq had custom made for themselves and he sent me one.  I've worn it...if anyone asks, I tell them the truth, that it was from my best friend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Would it be kosher to wear it outside the house? Say it said Navy SEALs on it and my buddy from the SEALS gave it to me, is it all right? Of course I wont go around saying I am SEAL but I dont to come off as a poser.

This exact thing has happened to me and I wont wear it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#22]
i have lots of shirts I've collected from friends in the military/FD/PD, I wear them with pride, if people ask I always tell them how I came to get it.  i don't see the problem, I don't claim that I was ever a part of whatever unit/dept is on the shirt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a guy at the gym insinuate I shouldn't be wearing my unit t-shirt! He got the FOAD.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd wear it.
On occasion I wear a t-shirt that has my dad's squadron on it. I don't care what people think.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#25]
i have a tshirt from  Nightstalkers spec ops.  it was a gift from one of the crews who came with my friend on my boat on a fishing trip.  i wear it and when asked, i tell where i got it.

they showed up in an unmarked van with and they were all packing. they blended into a crowd real easy and were not real big guys. one guy was like 150 soakin wet.  it was a fun day.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I often wear team jerseys for collegiate and pro football/baseball teams on game days. No one seems to think I am implying that I played for them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I often wear team jerseys for collegiate and pro football/baseball teams on game days. No one seems to think I am implying that I played for them.

Teams of your school? If not from your school, then I find that wierd
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Believe me, you're not the only one.

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#30]
It's not the same as a Unit insignia shirt, but I've given friends coffee mugs, shirts, and hats marked with Police Department logos that I've worked for, they think it's cool, and when asked about it just say "Oh my friend works for that department and gave me the shirt'

Like everyone else has already said, it's a t-shirt, not a uniform.  If your buddy didn't want you wearing it, he wouldn't have given it to you.

Now if you "accidentally" picked it up off his floor after you got out of his bed that morning, it's not the same thing...  
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Wear it with pride.

If someone asks if your a SEAL, or whatever, tell them "No, my friend who is, gave me this shirt is, and I support him and what he does."

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't wear it.  We didn't earn it.

My uncle was in the 504th PIR "Devils in Baggy Pants" of the 82nd Airborne in WWII and made every combat drop they participated in.  When he died, he left everything to me, including ball caps, etc.  I refuse to wear it.  I display his burial flag in my office but the rest I just keep.  I didn't earn it, he did.  

But heck, I don't wear my own medals either.  My.02.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wouldn't wear it.  We didn't earn it.

My uncle was in the 504th PIR "Devils in Baggy Pants" of the 82nd Airborne in WWII and made every combat drop they participated in.  When he died, he left everything to me, including ball caps, etc.  I refuse to wear it.  I display his burial flag in my office but the rest I just keep.  I didn't earn it, he did.  

But heck, I don't wear my own medals either.  My.02.

But that's a little different.  You inherited his stuff.  Had he given you a t-shirt with the insignia I would assume he would have wanted to you wear it.

As long as you don't go around trying to pretend you're something you're not then I don't see any problem.
If someone gives you a hard time tell them to take it up with the SEAL that gave you the shirt.

(I am a screen printer and t-shirts are my business.  I've done a few shirts for my friends who went through the police academy for their graduating classes.  Extra shirts were made for family and friends to wear and show their support.  Another friend of mine is a Captain for Atlanta Fire, I've done a shirts for a few of the different stations, once again they're being sold and given to friends, family members and supporters)
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an 82ABN coffee cup on my desk RIGHT NOW that I use with pride, as well as a really cool USMC hat I sport on a regular basis. Both were given to me by close friends who were PROUD to have served.

I haven't, but I wear and use the items as a show of my unwavering support for those who have served and continue to do so.

BTW, my 82ABN buddy also gave me a commerative coffee cup from the British paras. He got it while attending Brit jump school, and it's in honor of all the jumps-WWII to present-that the paras have participated in.

Both friends know one another, and it's funny to hear them spar:
Frank(82ABN): "Hey, how do you kill a Marine? Throw a handful of sand in the highway and tell him to take the beach".
Skip(USMC) "Fuck you. You're just a dirt dart anyway".
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I often buy relatives ballcaps from the ship. I intend for them to wear them. Otherwise, i wouldn't have wasted my money on their gift.

Hell, I used to wear a T-shirt from the Marine Security Company GITMO. I'm not a Marine, nor do I care to be one, but I figure if they didn't want me to wear it they wouldn't have sold it to me. I also get to talk about the good work those guys are doing down there when questioned about it, so I see it as a win-win.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#36]
My nephew sends me tshirts from all over the place. he is in the ARMY. Crew Chief on a Chinook. I wear them because I am proud of my nephew and I love the military and support it wwhole heartdly. If people ask if I am in I say no my nephw is serving and sends them to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a khaki cap with the Special Forces crest that was given to me by some buddies who are snipers in 5th Group. They sent it to me in appreciation for care packages I sent them when they were in Iraq. I would hate for them to find out if someone ever told me I shouldn't wear it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I got a unit shirt from a friend that serves in a anti-terrorist unit in Isreal..  I wear it with pride.  But with all seriousness 99% of the people that see the shirt have no idea what it means..  On another note the people that do recognize the shirt will generally spark up some small talk...no harm no foul..
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Try wearing a shirt with a AFSOC unit on it. People will look at you differently.

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't sweat the bullshit, OP.

Show your support, and if somebody gets a case of the ass over it, that's their tough shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

A friend of mine gave me a navy hat when he last left. I wear it proudly as a gift from a soldier. No big deal. If someone asks about it I tell them the truth. If the have a problem I will tell them when the navy seal comes back for his hat he is gonna kick your ass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#44]
my dad used to send me t-shirts from deployments when I was a kid. I stopped wearing them when I became of age to go myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have a problem w/ other people doing it, but I won't wear something like that because I didn't earn it and don't want someone to think I'm a poser.  I've seen too many of them and I don't have any respect for them, so I try to avoid looking like them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

A friend of mine gave me a navy hat when he last left. I wear it proudly as a gift from a soldier. No big deal. If someone asks about it I tell them the truth. If the have a problem I will tell them when the navy seal comes back for his hat he is gonna kick your ass.

You had some Army guy give you a Navy hat????
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you see someone wearing a Dallas Cowboy's shirt, do you assume they are a football player?

Seriously, the poser calling for wearing stuff is way out of hand.  Wearing a SEAL shirt and claiming to be a SEAL is a big difference.  If someone asks "Are you a SEAL?" a firm "nope" is all that's required.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#48]
My nephew presented me with a couple of them on his return from Afghanistan and I wear them with pride.

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem w/ other people doing it, but I won't wear something like that because I didn't earn it and don't want someone to think I'm a poser.  I've seen too many of them and I don't have any respect for them, so I try to avoid looking like them.

Same here.  Not so much worrying about how other people would see me, but how I feel about myself.  But I don't have any close friends/family members serving anymore either.  Maybe I would think differently then.  

A guy that I went to high school with (hadn't seen for years) was killed by an IED in Iraq last year.  Even not seeing him for years I had a hard time with it.  My wife gave me this shirt that says "Honor the Fallen" and has a graphic of a folded flag.  I'm really uncomfortable wearing it in public.  I bet I've worn it 2 times out, and maybe 2 times when I knew I was going to be spending the day around the house.  It's a really neat shirt but I can't do it.  I don't like drawing attention to myself when I go places.  I've seen a couple people look at it and read it, and I just always try to keep going because it's not something I want to talk about.  I don't like being rude to people, but I don't feel I owe explanations to strangers either.  And if some guy like in the SEAL story above got confrontational about me wearing it, like I don't have a right to because I didn't serve...not saying it's right or I'm proud of it, but I really think it would trigger something in me that I'd beat their ass, or make one hell of an effort at it.

I agree with the post about it being more how you present yourself.  If your brother or friend gave you a shirt, and you want to wear it, by all means do so.  I don't think that's being a poser.  But the guys that didn't serve and order dogtags, and run around in Marpat/ACU pants bloused into desert boots, that to me is being a poser.    

Link Posted: 12/20/2008 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#50]
My unwritten rule is

I will not "buy" a t-shirt, cap, etc with a Mil or Law Enforcement Logo out of respect, but if it is "given" to me by someone in that unit, I will wear "on occasion"
(I have friends serving with Local, State, and Fed LE, 5th and 7th SF, Marine Recon, etc- and have sent many care packages over the last few years to those serving in the Mil)

Several years ago, I became friends with a Marine Corps Officer
Almost every Saturday AM would include a 6-8 mile run with him, and then a trip to Starbucks to drink coffee and discuss history

He received orders to take a new command, I was invited to see him turn over his old command to the new CO (stood with his wife and kids).
We stayed in contact, and I made sure he and his family received supplies not available in his new location.

A few months after he took his new command, I received a package from him with two items included, a t-shirt and a challenge coin from his new unit.

Several weeks later, (4th of July I think) I was going to the Y for a workout and decided to wear the t-shirt with his unit's logo.  

While I was working out, a guy came up to me and asked "who are you and where did you get that shirt"

I told him my name, and the shirt was given to me by a good buddy that is the CO.

The guy looked at me and said "I have a t-shirt just like it at home, and you must know (CO's Name)" I explained how I came to know the Marine officer,

Turns out the guy at the Y is a retired Marine Lt Col, and very active in the Marine community in our area.

He has now entered into my circle of friends, and has been a part of several "welcome home" gatherings as others (from my group of friends) come home from deployments.

I was not sure where things were going when he first asked the question, but seems I had the "right" answers.
"No I am not a Marine. It was given to me by a Marine, and I wanted to show my support to our Mil today"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top