Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2005 12:56:13 PM EDT
If you had a fifty thousand dollar a year job in US dollars (40 hour work week) , which in that foreign country would be the equivalent of a $200,000 year job in the US, and prices were roughly the same as here in the US, and you could buy full auto firearms for semi auto prices....

....would you do it?

One other person could go with you.

Other than above, usual third world country rules apply.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No, thats not living like a king. Not if I was king now thats another story.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
my father-in-law does. He lives in Guatemala and lives like a king down there. But hell, you can buy beachfront property for 5000 bucks. But I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as I was ruler of it.

I like the sound of "Goonbossia"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, thats not living like a king. Not if I was king now thats another story.

Title edited.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's good to be the King.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I had friends who lived like that in Zimbabwe before it went down the drain, and I know a few ex-pats in Mexico and northern Thailand who live pretty well on modest pensions.

I'll probably do the same thing, but I'll maintain a house here as well.

Medical care is the thing that gives me pause. Third-worlders tend to drive like maniacs, and it'd be a nightmare to wake up in some of those hospitals...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If I could hunt African big game anytime I wanted and had access to quality medical care and drinking water then I would consider it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
South Afrika's cool and all.... but the 30-40% of the native population is HIV positine.

Balkan real estate is cheap... but the land mines are still there.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Jamaica, here I come
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'd use my new wealth to hire a bunch of people to walk across my property in a line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd use my new wealth to hire a bunch of people to walk across my property in a line.

I thought about using cattle.... but they cost $500 a head (in the U.S.), maybe goats would be better???
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I suppose I could take Costa Rica for that deal.  My wife's from there, so I've been there a bit.  It's not too bad, there's just more annoying type crime.   And a lot of people.  

I hate people.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
hmmm.. Costa Rica or Belieze might be on the short list.

How many soldiers does Mugabee have????
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've considered it.....

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought about using cattle.... but they cost $500 a head (in the U.S.), maybe goats would be better???

Livestock wont set off the mines in Bosnia, but they work great on kids!  Bosnian houses bring new meaning to home words like "skylight" and "breezeway".
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
To live and not be a citizen?
New Zealand.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think ARFcom could take over his country.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally, Im thinking about Switzerland, although Israel is an option.  Switzerland gives you a Sig 550 and ammo to keep at home if you join the military, with option to buy if you retire from the military service.  Switzerland knows no such thing as NFA or class III, all firearms are created equal, and supressors can be bought over the counter like a pack of smokes.  I just need to find a  good aviation or LEO job there and Im set, I'll use my VA benefits to finance a home and the wife can work as a nurse; I just gotta ride out my current enlistment which expires in 09'.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Honduras is where I plan to hang my hat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
If I could multiply my current income by 4 (and not have ridiculous taxes), I would do it for a few years, build up enough savings to live off the interest stream, then come back here and retire.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]
No
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow....I'm kinda surprised.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ARFcom could take over his country.

I agree.
( not that I'm implying an overt willingness to invade a soverign foreign power in violation of any U.S. nutrality laws)
<<<<<<
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ARFcom should take over his country.

Me too, lets do it!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Im just got out of a craphole and you're asking me to move AGAIN!!!

Thing is, I didnt realize what a craphole Canada was until I lived here. What you suggest is moving to a place you KNOW is a craphole.

I've been to Honduras and if the place you're thinking of is anything like that, no fucking way.

This country has a few warts, but I can live with them. I like it here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I suppose I could take Costa Rica for that deal.  My wife's from there, so I've been there a bit.  It's not too bad, there's just more annoying type crime.   And a lot of people.  

I hate people.  

+1 on the people hating...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Personally, Im thinking about Switzerland, although Israel is an option.  Switzerland gives you a Sig 550 and ammo to keep at home if you join the military, with option to buy if you retire from the military service.  Switzerland knows no such thing as NFA or class III, all firearms are created equal, and supressors can be bought over the counter like a pack of smokes.  I just need to find a  good aviation or LEO job there and Im set, I'll use my VA benefits to finance a home and the wife can work as a nurse; I just gotta ride out my current enlistment which expires in 09'.

They were on the list- until they joined the U.N.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cant be worse than the US, we let the UN HQ on our soil...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

perhaps, but- they lost any advantage trhey had prior to being 'UN'ed'.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They still allow purchase by law abiding citizens to own ANY firearm they can afford without regulation or a $200 tax per purchase like we have with our NFA.  The US will never become gun friendly again without revolution.  As of now, only Switzerland and Israel are truly friendly to shooters, and they both have low crime to boot.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Balkans, maybe New Zealand or the habitable parts of Jordan and upon research thier might be some livable places in S.America though I generally hate humid climate.

Basicly looking at laws, Government, stable economy, privacy, and prices as well as will it hold value.

It would be nice to have a solar powered fortress in some of these countries but you still have to look at your surroundings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I gave a lot to this country during my military time.  I gave willingly, and would be honored to do so again.

Some of my friends gave more.

During stressful times, I envisioned myself stepping off the acft at JFK, wearing a big grin and saying, “I’m home.”  There really is no place like home.

I was born and raised in this country, and it means everything to me.

There is no fortune vast enough able to entice me to live elsewhere.

When I die, my remains will be buried in the soil of this great nation.  

My friends will be there, and will listen to bagpipes play Amazing Grace, and the Bugler blow Taps.  They’ll remember me as friends do.

Just as I have done for others.

To friends gone, but not forgotten.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My friends will be there, and will listen to bagpipes play Amazing Grace, and the Bugler blow Taps.  

Im gonna steal that idea for myself...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If you had a fifty thousand dollar a year job in US dollars (40 hour work week) , which in that foreign country would be the equivalent of a $200,000 year job in the US, and prices were roughly the same as here in the US, and you could buy full auto firearms for semi auto prices....

....would you do it?

One other person could go with you.

Other than above, usual third world country rules apply.

A 200K job in the US doesn’t buy much.  Why would I want to live abroad for that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They still allow purchase by law abiding citizens to own ANY firearm they can afford without regulation or a $200 tax per purchase like we have with our NFA.  The US will never become gun friendly again without revolution.  As of now, only Switzerland and Israel are truly friendly to shooters, and they both have low crime to boot.  

Don’t think Israel is as "gun-friendly" as you think.  In Israel proper on soldiers have guns.  Private citizens can't own guns at all.  Settlers, on the other hand, are issues m-16s for obvious reasons.  At least this is the way some of my Israeli IDF friends explained it to me.  Like Switzerland, soldiers do take their guns home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I gave a lot to this country during my military time.  I gave willingly, and would be honored to do so again.

During stressful times, I envisioned myself stepping off the acft at JFK, wearing a big grin and saying, “I’m home.”  There really is no place like home.

My friends will be there, and will listen to bagpipes play Amazing Grace, and the Bugler blow Taps.  They’ll remember me as friends do.

then why use the American flag as a backdrop??????
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I sure would! 200K is a hell of a lot of money.
Australia is a better place than the US in many respects and I'm sure I'd have a great time.
If not, Germany (Beiren) and Switzerland are nice and stable enough, same thing for Canada.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

one problem: the Swiss won't let you move there.

They're picky like that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

A 200K job in the US doesn’t buy much.  Why would I want to live abroad for that.

It does if you don't live in the crapper (commonly referred to as Caifornia)

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm with ya dude.

I can't envision any price that could get me to live elsewhere.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with ya dude.

I can't envision any price that could get me to live elsewhere.

If the saudi's pull the normal,"Hey, you a doctor, want to work for 3/4 of a million USD tax free a year", with me, I am moving :).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#43]
The Phillipines is nice. They like Americans and I don't think they care about how many guns you have. If you kill a terrorist who is trying to take you hostage, they'll probably throw a party and the cops will show up for the beer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The Phillipines is nice. They like Americans and I don't think they care about how many guns you have. If you kill a terrorist who is trying to take you hostage, they'll probably throw a party and the cops will show up for the beer.

I thought they were a little heavy on the muslim side.......

and perhaps not the world's largest supporter of personal freedom(s).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Israel would be cool- I've run across a few Israelis over the years and they are good people.

Switzerland- I dunno about that one.......initially I would have said yes, but I recall something I read a while ago (don't remember where, I think I will have to hunt down the link) that said something about the Swiss having some really strict immigration policies and being hyper-paranoid about foreign residents.

Philippines would be a the third option.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I had friends who lived like that in Zimbabwe before it went down the drain, and I know a few ex-pats in Mexico and northern Thailand who live pretty well on modest pensions.

I'll probably do the same thing, but I'll maintain a house here as well.

Medical care is the thing that gives me pause. Third-worlders tend to drive like maniacs, and it'd be a nightmare to wake up in some of those hospitals...

Thailand has Bumrungrad International Hospital.  The standard of care is better than any physician I've seen in the U.S. in the last twenty years, and the physicians are pretty up to date on the latest information.

It is NOT research-level care -- although it *might* be where Don Ho got treated, the articles didn't say but I think it's likely -- but it is top of the line for ordinary care.  If you were to develop some really nasty cancer, or needed transplant surgery, you would probably want to go home.  For broken bones, precancerous spots on your skin, vaccinations, and other relatively routine care, it's fantastic.

And it's cheap.  I saw six physicians over a period of three days, got an MRI and treatment for a bunch of small things, and the whole thing cost me just under US$500 -- less than my BCBS deductible on the insurance I've kept in the U.S.  I'm not sure I'd recommend the dentist I saw there (the filling he put in feels rough, might need to replace it soon) but the others were fine.

Plus, the hot little nurses there in their white skirts and caps have triggered a major nurse fetish in me.

ETA: <Stewie>"Nurse!  It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis!"</Stewie>
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ARFcom should take over his country.

Me too, lets do it!!!

I know a Lt Colonel who was a Grays Scout in the Rhodesian Army.  He might know some people who would help...and technically, you CAN incorporate a nation under international law without having a territory.  I WOULD advocate invading Zimbabwe and deposing Mugabe.  Wasn't he listed in the top 5 worst dictators ever by time magazine or something like that recently?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#48]
No.

HH
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybes:
Republic of Ireland - hope they stay relatively freedom conscious
Eastern Europe - afraid they may slip towards EU-style social democracy
Switzerland - don't really like immigrants, for good reason
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted: I thought they were a little heavy on the muslim side....... and perhaps not the world's largest supporter of personal freedom(s).
Muslims are an oppressed minority who live in the southern islands close to Indonesia, that's their excuse for bombing their neighbors. If you get hassled, just call the embassy and tell them to send some Marines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top