Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/19/2005 1:15:08 PM EDT
Reading this thread ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=391407 ) got me thinking: If you could go back in time and change the outcome of one major event in history (warning Pearl Harbor the Japanese were coming and they actually listen, for instance), what would it be?

Edited to fix link.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Gettysburg.Then we would still be a free nation in the South instead of run from Washington.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gettysburg.Then we would still be a free nation in the South instead of run from Washington.

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people would change history for personal gain (save a friend or relative).

Some would try and avert a disaster like 9-11 unaware that they would likely create a new disaster.

Imagine for a moment all the 9-11 hijackers were taken into custody. The news would treat it much like the first WTC attack as just "another" Muslim plot and most Americans would be further lulled into that false sense of security.

Al Quida would simply gear up for something larger, perhaps nuclear.

By the same token if you prevented Pearl Harbor we wouls have still likely found ourselves involved in that war only at a later date. Perhaps we would be less capable of defeating our enemies at that point.

And finally, you wouldn't change the past. You'd simply be creating an alternate reality where things took a different course. Time, according to the general consensus, is inviolate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I wish that you fockers had won.  After all, you have so many fine politicians in office....  nothing at all like up here.    Maybe you can name a few for us.

Seriously, the Civil war was a collossal waste of American men and money.  What an utter tragedy.

The fact that you guys love it so much is based on pure ignorance.

Unless 600,000 dead men is a good thing in some way I don't understand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Some would try and avert a disaster like 9-11 unaware that they would likely create a new disaster.

Imagine for a moment all the 9-11 hijackers were taken into custody. The news would treat it much like the first WTC attack as just "another" Muslim plot and most Americans would be further lulled into that false sense of security.

By the same token if you prevented Pearl Harbor we wouls have still likely found ourselves involved in that war only at a later date. Perhaps we would be less capable of defeating our enemies at that point.

And finally, you wouldn't change the past. You'd simply be creating an alternate reality where things took a different course. Time, according to the general consensus, is inviolate.

............You didn't answer the question!!................

I would have Kennedy  not get shot...........then Johnson would not have been prez and the "Great Society" would never have been..............................Bu then who knows, maybe SteyrAUG is right
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I would change the moment that the giant asteroid hit the earth and wiped the dinosaurs from the face of the planet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish that you fockers had won.  After all, you have so many fine politicians in office....  nothing at all like up here.    Maybe you can name a few for us.

Seriously, the Civil war was a collossal waste of American men and money.  What an utter tragedy.

Your an utterly fucking ignorant ass moron.  We're talking about the horrid conditions that southern people were forced to live under.  The south was treated as the countries wallet, and supplier of cheap labor.  Southern states were taxed far more than northern states.  No one here wishes the civil war would have happened. No one here loves it.  We just with the outcome had been a tad different.  Open your eyes and read before you open you hole.  You didn't make a comment about what we said.  You inserted your own agenda and made a comment about it.  What are you a fucking democrat?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a thing.

Now way to know the effects of changing the past.
CH
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The main problem IS, that when you go back to change history (ie. kill baby hitler), you yourself would have been born never knowing of anyone named hitler. But then, why did you go back in time in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]

The birth of mohammed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your an utterly fucking ignorant ass moron.  We're talking about the horrid conditions that southern people were forced to live under.  The south was treated as the countries wallet, and supplier of cheap labor.  Southern states were taxed far more than northern states.  No one here wishes the civil war would have happened. No one here loves it.  We just with the outcome had been a tad different.  Open your eyes and read before you open you hole.  You didn't make a comment about what we said.  You inserted your own agenda and made a comment about it.  What are you a fucking democrat?

All the South wanted was Union troops out of their country and then peace. They wanted to be left alone, but Lincoln wanted to 'save the union' and gave them war. The term utter tragedy doesnt even begin to describe what could have been averted if that rotten son of a bitch Lincoln would have just withdrew troops.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The birth of mohammed.

Oh, I'd let him be born.  I'd just pop a cap in his ass before he hit 20.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I thought about this. For instance, altering the timeline at any point before you birth has the real possibility of meaning your parents would never meet, or at the least not conceive you when they did.  I can't think of any event that has no chance of possibly screwing up things beyond all recognition in modern times. I don't think I'd change anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Since I'm currently reading a book about Operation Market-Garden.....I would convince Ike to drop Monty's plan and give over all  resources to Patton, in the south.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the South wanted was Union troops out of their country and then peace. They wanted to be left alone, but Lincoln wanted to 'save the union' and gave them war. The term utter tragedy doesnt even begin to describe what could have been averted if that rotten son of a bitch Lincoln would have just withdrew troops.

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not a thing.

Now way to know the effects of changing the past.
CH

I agree for the most part but if I could change anything, it would be a better husband before I was divorced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
pay Miller's lawyer what ever it took to get him to show up in front of SCOTUS
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
eliminate mohammed before he could develop the ROP.

Then God would have chosen another to be his prophet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have Kennedy  not get shot...........then Johnson would not have been prez and the "Great Society" would never have been..............................Bu then who knows, maybe SteyrAUG is right

I didn't see the point of creating another parallel existence.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]
What if you could trip back and get, say, 20 well prepared guys on each of the 9-11 flights.  Wait until they made the slightest move, then go to town.

Then, after you landed, the news would break that they were GOING to blow up our buildings with planes, that might get some attention.

Maybe it's just the special I just watched, but I'd really like to help those poor Americans on Flight 93.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Don't take this personal, but just as black Americans need to get OVER slavery southern Americans need to get OVER the civil war. It didn't happen to you. We understand both things were tragedies that harmed many innocents and all but DAMN it was over 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
the begining of mankind!

seriously: whoever invented taxes
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Something else would have filled the vacuum. Could have been something worse.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't take this personal, but just as black Americans need to get OVER slavery southern Americans need to get OVER the civil war. It didn't happen to you. We understand both things were tragedies that harmed many innocents and all but DAMN it was over 100 years ago.

Read my mind. Some folks are way too damn emotional to be involved in something that happened before their time.

Also notice the ranter asked if the guy was a Democrat? The Slavers were Dems and still are.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You offended me making me realize I have to re-evaluate my beliefs!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Stop the spread of middle eastern religion(s) among the european peoples...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could have been something better as well.  Nestorian Christianity would be a likely candidate and it was quite civilized.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Stop the spread of middle eastern religion(s) among the european peoples...

Like Dracula!! Woot!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read my mind. Some folks are way too damn emotional to be involved in something that happened before their time.

Also notice the ranter asked if the guy was a Democrat? The Slavers were Dems and still are.

You know, this whole Civil War and it's seeming recency got me thinking.

I’ve never toured Europe, but I understand they REMEMBER WWII, I mean like it was yesterday.  Sure, it’s more recent than the Civil War, but it was sixty years ago, right?  To me, that seems like a long time.  I’ve read volumes on that war, but it feels like a long time ago to me.

I have come to realize that that war was fought in their backyard.  They didn’t learn of it from history books, they learned it from walks with their grandparents and parents.  Over there was where X happened.

I think the Civil war is the same for southernors.  There are still Sherman’s Bowties around trees down there.  The show at Stone Mountain plays to packed audiences.

It’s NOT ancient history to them, that’s all I’m saying.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I would prevent you from posting this thread...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see the point of creating another parallel existence.

..................But just think of the fun we could have!!!!.....getting drunk in two places at once!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
This isn't my "one item", but it sure would have been nice had it gone down differently.

I wish Jim Brady had never been shot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno ... I look at it as a "State's Rights" issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I would prevent the INTERNET from coming to fruition. Maybe something would get done that way. What kind of productive thing would the millions of keyboard commando's be undertaking? We'll never know...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The main problem IS, that when you go back to change history (ie. kill baby hitler), you yourself would have been born never knowing of anyone named hitler. But then, why did you go back in time in the first place?

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought about this. For instance, altering the timeline at any point before you birth has the real possibility of meaning your parents would never meet, or at the least not conceive you when they did.  I can't think of any event that has no chance of possibly screwing up things beyond all recognition in modern times. I don't think I'd change anything.

[Austin Powers] I've gone cross-eyed. [/Austin Powers]

I would hate to screw with history.  Bad ju-ju.  I would buy a bunch of machine guns prior to 1986.  Maybe even buy some good stocks at the most opportune times.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#37]
After WW II ,  kept  Russia within it's own border, which would have allowed those countries that  stalin occupied to be independant from communist rule.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I would change my time of birth by 12 minutes and 33 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#39]

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]

I wish that you fockers had won. After all, you have so many fine politicians in office.... nothing at all like up here.  Maybe you can name a few for us.

Seriously, the Civil war was a collossal waste of American men and money. What an utter tragedy.

Shut up you damned yankee and take a history lesson.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Carpet bagging bitches.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could have been something better as well.  Nestorian Christianity would be a likely candidate and it was quite civilized.  

Holy Crap, I thought "I" was the only one who knew about Nestorians.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd kill whoever thought that alcohol prohibition was a good idea.

Then I'd buy a bunch of machineguns over the counter at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'd kill whoever thought that alcohol prohibition was a good idea.

Then I'd buy a bunch of machineguns over the counter at the hardware store.

And gone back and paid the NFA tax for them with 1986 dollars?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I would not have married my wife ....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The birth of mohammed.

I'd stop the assasination of Abraham Lincoln - the country would have been much better off if he had lived.
He wanted to rejoin the country "with malice towards none."
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I would kill that ugly ass pinko commie whore Elanor Roosevelt and prevent the UN from ever coming about!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The birth of mohammed.

Oh, I'd let him be born.  I'd just pop a cap in his ass before he hit 20.  hr

Nah, I would pop a cap in his ass when he is two weeks old!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top