Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 8:14:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:36:47 AM EDT
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT
I have an idea.

If you have a computer with sensitive data, don't link it to the internet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:37:34 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:38:47 AM EDT
Not surprising, but very upsetting. Every time I try to understand the trade relations between China and the US, I get a headache. What a mess. Our economies seem to be co dependant. Chinese "businesses" are operated by their government. They use the profit to fund their military.

If the Chinese were to flood the market with the US T bills that they have purchased, our currency wouldnt be worth much. The computer I am typing on and the desk on which it sits were made in China.

I wish we had a way to boycott. Unlike the boycott of the French, I cant seem to completely avoid Chinese products.

As for now, no Norinco firearms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 8:49:14 AM EDT by TodaysTomSawyer]
Yeah, I caught this on the shortwave from Radio Beijing

"Shyo kugo America ka tanada joi..."*

loosely translated, it means,

"Attention America, we will bury you..."

*note - this is not an actual transmission, if it was, you would have been instructed to go to D.C. and put personal pursuasion on all the money sucking congress critters to think of the U.S. first instead of themselves and the elite...

We now return to our regularly scheduled arfcom conversations about who went where and why...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:50:49 AM EDT
I have a history professor that rants on a daily basis about how China will be the next world super power;taking the place of the United States. Some of his key points include the buying of oil producing rights in Africa, South America, and other locations that are equally important to the US. Also he likes to point out the fact that they own so very much of our tremendous national debt. I argued that political power flows from the barrel of a gun(to quote chairman Mao), and he said the country's economy was more important, and I think I agree. I don't think the Chinese will destroy us militarily, but they are not bound by as many scruples as we are in the business world, and will eventually overtake us. Sad to say. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I hope this isn't a hijack. It's not intended to be.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:51:54 AM EDT
I am more worried about the current invasion from mexico actually.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:56:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 9:11:46 AM EDT by MissouriBob]
So what would happen if we just defaulted on our loans? Their economy would collapse. They would have to try and come and take it.

Of course it wouldn't do our economy much good either, but just look around you. How much of what you see can you live without?

ETA: Just finished the article. If the United States does not stop it's passive stance on a lot of issues we are truly doomed. The oceans no longer protect us.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
they need us to keep their economy going...simple FACT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:15:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:

Sorry, I say it is the other way around...Sad but tru....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:16:29 AM EDT
How unlike the Chinese government....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:31:09 AM EDT
One only neds to read SunTzu to understand what is going on here. The last chapter is devoted to the use of espionage and double agents.

I do not think that the Chinese will ever confront the US on the battlefield. They will simply render us irrelevant, by other means.

"To defeat one's enemy without battle, is the highest art of war."

Indeed.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:31:17 AM EDT
God forbid we should do anything to protect our own country
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:41:34 AM EDT
At least our congressman knows whats up with China. This was in our local paper today.

www.amnews.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=15782&format=html
Sunday August 28, 2005

Chandler concerned about China economic power

By LIZ MAPLES
Staff Writer

Congressman Ben Chandler wants Americans to direct their attention to what he believes is an emerging threat - China.

"China's growing economic power is the greatest challenge to prosperity in America," he told Danville Rotarians during a speech at their meeting Friday.

Here's Chandler's hypothesis: The United States must reduce the national deficit, so that it can prepare to deal with China's economic threat and a potential military threat over Taiwan.

"China appears to be intent to rob us ... of our high standard of living. The steps we take in the coming years will be crucial."

Chandler has recently returned from a trip to the country. One of his stops was at Intel, the world's largest computer chip maker. He said engineers there earn $9,600 a month, and some lower-level employees take home $125 a month.

"Imagine the pressure that puts on anyone who wants to compete," Chandler said.

The United States has suffered a major loss of manufacturing jobs to China in the last decade.

"China wants to be the world's leading producer of advanced technology," he said. "They know that the country that does will also have the world's best technology and military."

U.S. edge is slipping

Chandler said the U.S. edge is slipping as the country fails to invest in education and research.

In the meantime, China is investing in a cutting-edge military, Chandler said, to prepare for a possible conflict over Taiwan.

When the Communist party took over rule of China in 1949 more than 2 million people fled to Taiwan. Since 2000, the country has been ruled by the Democratic Progressive Party. China wants Taiwan to reunite with the mainland.

"China continues to view Taiwan ... as a renegade province. They believe they will get it back, by force if necessary," Chandler said.

Chandler also said that the United States agreed to support Taiwan.

When Chandler was asked whether he will support a war over Taiwan, he said, "I'd rather us not have any wars." He later added that he believes "we do have an obligation to uphold democracies," but would like to avoid a war.

Chandler did say, during his speech, the United States should prepare for the economic and military threat that China poses by reducing the national debt.

Second largest creditor

China is the United State's second largest creditor. If conflict arises between the United States and China, Chandler said he believes that they could send our economy into a recession.

The national debt is $7.9 trillion. Chandler said to understand the magnitude of the number that it was as if every man, woman and child in the United States had a $26,000 bill. He said that if the country keeps spending at its current rate then the debt will double by 2010. "I don't know about you all, but I was brought up to believe that if you spent more than you took in you were going to go broke."

Asked how he would reduce the debt, Chandler said the war in Iraq has already cost the United States $300 billion. "That's more money than we'll invest in roads for the entire nation in six years," he said. "I'm not sure there is an end in sight."

He also suggested that the country stop the tax breaks that President George W. Bush gave out to "stimulate the economy."

Chandler quoted former New York Times columnist Anthony Lewis as saying that "The 20th Century will be America's Century," and then Chandler said, "Well, folks, the Chinese have their eye on the 21st."

Copyright The Advocate-Messenger 2005
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT by jkstexas2001]
We sure left that Carpenter fellow out to dry, didn't we? That's a real shame. We shot ourselves in the foot on that one. The FBI center for coordinating our efforts in this matter is located in West Virginia. They will not hesistate to use the assistance of talented civilians -- but they really need to take care of them when they get into trouble, or their talent pool will dry up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:49:26 AM EDT
China's biggest problem is China's fast ecomomic growth. The majority of the Chinese people are not being included in the urbanization and growth. Rural imigration is all ready restricted to major urban areas and this augers poorly for social stablity. Like it or not the Chinese are very dependent on the US trade to keep their country afloat and free from revolution. You should also know many major businesses are owned by the Peoples Liberation Army. Generals are getting very rich through their Joint Ventures with their non Chinese Partners and want to continue enjoying the good things in life.. We should not fear the PLA . We should watch them carefully and be prepared for any issues that arise, however the Chinese Government wants to keep their power in China through social stablity than rather than igniting outside conflict. Internal termoil is all that destroy CPC's grip on power.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:51:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:

People will argue this ad nauseum. It's hard to get a single answer to why our debt is so popular!!!!

One thing's for sure, the fat lady hasn't even started singing yet.

You could make the same case that China's authoritative system will crumble in the face of freedom. Reality TV takes China by storm....

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SUPER_GIRLS?SITE=NJASB&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:57:19 AM EDT
However you forget the shutdown of our economy by the next 24 hours in New Orleans.......due to Katrina.

We'll be at a very weak level.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:10:14 AM EDT
Just off the top of my head, one thing we could do is lift the prohibition against hacking into computer systems in certain foreign countries. If you want to play hob with China's military and industrial capabilities, just tell all of the hackers and script kiddies that China is free game.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:52:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:
Just off the top of my head, one thing we could do is lift the prohibition against hacking into computer systems in certain foreign countries. If you want to play hob with China's military and industrial capabilities, just tell all of the hackers and script kiddies that China is free game.

or put rewards on getting certain things "done". Make it like the DEFCON game, just a list of targets and what they need done and turn loose all our hackers on their asses. W00t!
Top Top