Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:18:10 AM EDT
into the religion forum, regardless of wether or not they were started with religious intent,  can we shove all threads containing any and all mention of cops into the "brothers of the shield" forum?  It seems only fair.

Or maybe every single thread that mentions a state should be shoved over into that state's "hometown" forum.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Take your logic hocus pocus somewhere else
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think fairness has anything to do with it anymore.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Let shove this one somewhere too.

Quick!  To the air5oft forum!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was thinking of a good place they should put it. You beat me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]

JESUS LOVES YOU!

IBTL

Shok
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
JESUS LOVES YOU!

IBTL

Shok

We have the J word.

I repeat, the J word has been deployed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
That rule only applies to Chrisians and their beliefs.

Make no mistake about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking of a good place they should put it. You beat me.

Well, I *WAS* thinking about throwing in "and why not shove all threads questioning staff into the pit while w'er eat it".
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JESUS LOVES YOU!

IBTL

Shok

We have the J word.

SWARM! SWARM! SWARM!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JESUS LOVES YOU!

IBTL

Shok

We have the J word.

IBTMTTRT (In Before The Move To The Religious Thread)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I know that no one doesn't really care what I think, but I don't really think that the posting of religious threads in GD was the problem.  You can click on a religious thread or not.  I believe the problem was a certain number of posters turning EVERY THREAD into a religious/condascending thread.  Hijacking every thread that had to do with questionable moral values that may conflict with your own values with a sermon is very tiring after the 'n'th time of seeing it.

The way I see it, the actions of a few internet evangelists were directly responsible for the Creation of the Religion Forum and the resulting re-routing of threads to it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed!

Does anyone here realize that there is a 'Politics and Activism' Forum?

When's the last time we saw a 'President Bush lied and men died' thread shunted off to the 'Politics' Forum?

Ain't going to happen. Nor are those 'NRA Keeps Sending Me Trash' Threads going to be sent to the 'Activism' Forum.

Hell. This thread will soon be sent to the 'Religion' Forum!

Eric The(HolierThanNone)Hun

I think there are like 3 posts in there, it's pretty clear no one looks around, they are
too busy bitching.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

if it's so bad here why do you guys continue to post?

Hell, I don't care if stuff gets moved or not.  I just don't see why threads that are started as unrelated to religion, get crapped in by one side or the other as far as religion, and end up over in the religion forum.

Supposedly at one point religious topics were still going to be allowed in GD, but apparently now they're all being moved.  I'm mostly curious which policy is correct.

Allowed in GD, or not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]
You mean we have a religion section?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't mind me.

<---Hitchin' a ride to the religion closet forum......

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know that no one doesn't really care what I think, but I don't really think that the posting of religious threads in GD was the problem.  You can click on a religious thread or not.  I believe the problem was a certain number of posters turning EVERY THREAD into a religious/condascending thread.  Hijacking every thread that had to do with questionable moral values that may conflict with your own values with a sermon is very tiring after the 'n'th time of seeing it.

The way I see it, the actions of a few internet evangelists were directly responsible for the Creation of the Religion Forum and the resulting re-routing of threads to it.

'Condescension' is in the eye of the beholder, I would imagine.

Eric The(SeldomCondescending)Hun

I believe that.  But I also think that if someone wants to talk about their pre-marital experience during a date or whatever, and they aren't looking for spiritual guidance, they shouldn't be preached to.

My ex-wife went to a fundamentalist church.  I was bad because I was a Catholic with tattoos.  They started to talk down about Amy Grant... because she stopped singing the God-this and God-that songs like she used to.  Instead she started with the "Every Heartbeat" top-40 type songs.  The people of the church thought she sold out and turned her back on God.  I don't think so.  Read the lyrics to that song... and see if she might not be singing about her relationship with God, without blatently singing it outright and possibly turning off the audience that needs it the most.  The only people who bought her albums before were the ones who didn't really need preached to all that much.  When she went mainstream, and sang more mainstream songs (with underlying religious meaning), she reached a much larger audience.  All she had to do was become popular and be seen leading a good life and I guarantee that it would have a much bigger impact on those who really need it than if she kept with the Gospel songs.

The best way to bring people over to religion is NOT with in-your-face tactics and preaching.  Subtlety works much better.

In other words, give advice when asked, and lead by quiet example, and stop the preaching to those who don't want it or you will turn many more away than you will save.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]
general
1gen·er·al
Pronunciation: 'jen-r&l, 'je-n&-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin generalis, from gener-, genus kind, class -- more at KIN
1 : involving, applicable to, or affecting the whole
2 : involving, relating to, or applicable to every member of a class, kind, or group <the general equation of a straight line>
3 : not confined by specialization or careful limitation
4 : belonging to the common nature of a group of like individuals : GENERIC
5 a : applicable to or characteristic of the majority of individuals involved : PREVALENT b : concerned or dealing with universal rather than particular aspects
6 : relating to, determined by, or concerned with main elements rather than limited details <bearing a general resemblance to the original>
7 : holding superior rank or taking precedence over others similarly titled <the general manager>
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]
FOTBR, I see you didn't renew your membership. Why?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I agree with Old_Painless, AROWNERagain, and ErictheHun....all at the same time.

You will probably never hear me say that again.

I hope that means something.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

yes Christians who number more than 3/4 of the population are under severe persecution not only on this board, but in this country.

I'm sure we'll be lining you up for gas showers soon enough

*yawn*

You might want to consider thats it hard for a majority, who hold the majority of positions in government,  who also hold the majority of weapons (both private and military) to claim they are being persecuted

get over yourself

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes Christians who number more than 3/4 of the population are under severe persecution not only on this board, but in this country.

3/4 of the population yet the topics are not allowed on the most popular forum of the board.

Meanwhile rifle, pistol, movie, political, legal, LEO, women issues, hometown issues, and so on do NOT get moved.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#28]
It gives the mods a sense of power and something to do. Just wait, this thread will get moved or locked of something stupid.

Jesus loves you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Threads are getting moved a lot now because I asked the mods to do that.
My reason is..and the reason I hounded GB to add the moved tag is..to move threads to forums dedicated to that topic. Hopefully this will generate more traffic in the other forums and maybe cut down on the traffic in the GD forum. That way when you post a thread in GD it won't be bumped to the bottom of page 30 in 5 minutes flat.
That's it..no other reason.
No secret plot against Christians,Mormons,Presbyterians,etc,etc.
I haven't been watching to see what threads are getting moved more then others but I didn't suggest and I highly doubt religious threads are being singled out.

It is working, on me at least. I am visiting more forums than ever.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Creating the religion forum was just a brilliant move on the part of the Staff, it really was.  It works so well on every other board I frequent that I’m surprised it took so long to give our Christian friends here a place to call their own.

I think people that complain about having a religion forum should start getting banned – that just might shut them up a little bit.  Banning them would also fulfill their persecution complex completely.  It’d be like doing them a favor when you think about it.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Creating the religion forum was just a brilliant move on the part of the Staff, it really was.  

I think it evolved, really.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#34]
At the rate this is going, you might as well move all religious topics to the bear pit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#36]
In Before The Religion Forum
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure we'll be lining you up for gas showers soon enough

*yawn*

You might want to consider thats it hard for a majority, who hold the majority of positions in government,  who also hold the majority of weapons (both private and military) to claim they are being persecuted

get over yourself

OP is and has always been one of the kindest and most decent members of this board. "Get over yourself" is by no means an appropriate way to adress him.

My experience has been that he rarely complains about anything.

Thus when he does, I am inclined to listen.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with Old_Painless, AROWNERagain, and ErictheHun....all at the same time.

I have a serious question......which someone has probably already asked since I seldom read these threads.

Why are y'all upset that ARFCOM has a dedicated religious forum?

Do you want to argue with trolls who will show up in GD?

If a person has a question that needs answering....do you believe they won't ask in the religion forum?

I am way more likely to read threads about religion in the Religion forum than try to wade through the shit that gets slinged in GD.
I assume I am typical........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Condescension' is in the eye of the beholder, I would imagine.

Eric The(SeldomCondescending)Hun

I believe that.  But I also think that if someone wants to talk about their pre-marital experience during a date or whatever, and they aren't looking for spiritual guidance, they shouldn't be preached to.

My ex-wife went to a fundamentalist church.  I was bad because I was a Catholic with tattoos.  They started to talk down about Amy Grant... because she stopped singing the God-this and God-that songs like she used to.  Instead she started with the "Every Heartbeat" top-40 type songs.  The people of the church thought she sold out and turned her back on God.  I don't think so.  Read the lyrics to that song... and see if she might not be singing about her relationship with God, without blatently singing it outright and possibly turning off the audience that needs it the most.  The only people who bought her albums before were the ones who didn't really need preached to all that much.  When she went mainstream, and sang more mainstream songs (with underlying religious meaning), she reached a much larger audience.  All she had to do was become popular and be seen leading a good life and I guarantee that it would have a much bigger impact on those who really need it than if she kept with the Gospel songs.

The best way to bring people over to religion is NOT with in-your-face tactics and preaching.  Subtlety works much better.

In other words, give advice when asked, and lead by quiet example, and stop the preaching to those who don't want it or you will turn many more away than you will save.

Now YOU are the one preaching.  Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think people that complain about having a religion forum should start getting banned – that just might shut them up a little bit.  Banning them would also fulfill their persecution complex completely.  It’d be like doing them a favor when you think about it.  

So Dolomite, my friend, do you really think I ought to be "banned"?

Just because of my opinion?

Do you really think that I have a "persecution complex"?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Creating the religion forum was just a brilliant move on the part of the Staff, it really was.  It works so well on every other board I frequent that I’m surprised it took so long to give our Christian friends here a place to call their own.

It was a brilliant move if - and only if - staff has a problem with Christianity.

Otherwise, it was a very unwise move.

If staff has a problem with Cristianity, I can respect that - if and only if they will admit it, and move on.

To work so hard to push 'religion' into a corner, all the while claiming to be neutral on religious issues, is intellectually dishonest, at best.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I have a serious question......which someone has probably already asked since I seldom read these threads.

If a person has a question that needs answering....do you believe they won't ask in the religion forum?

I am way more likely to read threads about religion in the Religion forum than try to wade through the shit that gets slinged in GD.

The answer is simple: Because they lose their ability to preach the 'virtues' of their religion to the masses in GD. By restricting their religious banter to the Religious Forum, they can do nothing more than preach to the already converted......Relegating religious subjects to the Religious forum is the single best thing GB has done since I've been on arfcom....Kudos to GB.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I think you will find that the people who wanted the religious forum were not the people who have faith on this board. But a constant drumbeat of "We need a religious forum!" was indeed heard from the very people who showed up to troll the threads with religious content.

That ought to tell you something.

The trolls resented any mention of anything religious in GD, because they didn't want to look at it. Why, then, they were hell bent on not only reading the threads and posting in them is beyond me, but I have given up expecting reasonable behavior from them.

Hopefully they will.

I am as religious as a person can get.

I didn't know about the forum until WELL after it had been started.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My reason is..and the reason I hounded GB to add the moved tag is..to move threads to forums dedicated to that topic. Hopefully this will generate more traffic in the other forums and maybe cut down on the traffic in the GD forum. That way when you post a thread in GD it won't be bumped to the bottom of page 30 in 5 minutes flat.
I haven't been watching to see what threads are getting moved more then others but I didn't suggest and I highly doubt religious threads are being singled out.

Striker,

the problem is that it is NOT being apllied evenly.

Not even close !

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The answer is simple: Because they lose their ability to preach the 'virtues' of their religion to the masses in GD. By restricting their religious banter to the Religious Forum, they can do nothing more than preach to the already converted......Relegating religious subjects to the Religious forum is the single best thing GB has done since I've been on arfcom....Kudos to GB.....

And that, my friend, is why we object.

Whether you like it, or believe it, has no bearing on Biblical truth.

While the masses celebrate its relegation to a dark corner, the truth does not change.

The only thing that changes is the ability to disseminate it.

It was a cowardly decision on the part of staff; an answer to a problem that didn't even exist.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Striker,

the problem is that it is NOT being apllied evenly.

Not even close !

Sgat1r5

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Heaven forbid you should be exposed to ideas you don't like. That would be so.....Un-American, wouldn't it?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You, sir, need to resume the taking of your medication.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top