Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2014 11:23:00 AM EDT
Are things going to be out of hand in a hurry?

I was looking through Drudge while at work and stumbled across this:

http://www.infowars.com/will-cdc-activate-emergency-measures-after-ebola-confirmed-in-us/

I know, consider the source, however it got me thinking. How are Americans going to react if/when we quarantine an area, potentially under penalty of getting shot? Especially a city the size of the Dallas Ft Worth area?

Especially in Texas?

My line of reasoning is a question: How many items, doorknobs, car handles, etc did Mr. Ebola touch between the moment he became infectious and getting quarantined? How many of those items are still infectious?

Or do you think they'd never quarantine a city in America for fear people would start shooting? Ammo for blanket gun ban?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I pity the organization tasked with quarantining a Texas city.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The common flu kills more people per year still... yet no cities are on lock down.  I wouldn't worry about it... this isn't a zombie outbreak.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://www.infowars.com/will-cdc-activate-emergency-measures-after-ebola-confirmed-in-us/

I know, consider the source, however it got me thinking. How are Americans going to react if/when we quarantine an area, potentially under penalty of getting shot? Especially a city the size of the Dallas Ft Worth area?

Especially in Texas?

My line of reasoning is a question: How many items, doorknobs, car handles, etc did Mr. Ebola touch between the moment he became infectious and getting quarantined? How many of those items are still infectious?

Or do you think they'd never quarantine a city in America for fear people would start shooting? Ammo for blanket gun ban?
View Quote

That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
This would be a hell of a weapon for the muslims.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially in Texas?

This.

People should try to educate themselves before they start yet another ebola panic thread in GD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

So....I should put my pants back on?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
there will be no quarantine

Buy the time they figure out it is spreading it will long be outside of Dallas and Texas.
close 1 million people a day travel by air in the US
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They'd be taking fire from both sides of their lines, right or wrong.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother is in DFW.  Good luck getting him to cooperate with anything.  Most stubborn bastard  on this planet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

At best you could probably shut down the main roads. No way you could keep everyone in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The common flu kills more people per year still... yet no cities are on lock down.  I wouldn't worry about it... this isn't a zombie outbreak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True but consider 1. many folks get their education from a sensationalistic 30-second TV spot or a Yahoo headline and will think stuff like "you can get it if you touch the doorknob next;"  and 2. we are talking about the administration of "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

I really hadn't considered anything like a quarantine and don't consider it high at all on the list of possibilities.  But the Administration has shown ample evidence that it will overreach, ignoring both logic and law, while attempting to whip up panic among the ignorant (even after having the lie exposed, as with F&F) so I can't say the scenario is impossible.  It would have more to do with the political reality, not the medical/technical.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubt we'll see a quarantine of Dallas, and I doubt it would be a text-book definition of 'orderly' if we did.

Quoted:

... this isn't a zombie outbreak.
View Quote
Yet ................................

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, no, it would not. Furthermore, "muslims" are not the problem - it is radicals claiming to act in the name of muslims, just as the radical bible thumpers acting in the name of christianity are a problem here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Air dry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love when people compare this this thing to the flu.

The flu does not have a kill rate over 50%

Not elderly, young or in poor health? Got the flu? Meh. No big deal
Not elderly, young or in poor health? Got ebola? Well. Is your will up to date? Hope you don't need it. Flip a coin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Ebola spreads by ignorance. Eradicate ignorance, the disease stops. Of course, judging by many of the comments on GD, eradicating ignorance is a lost cause.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ebola spreads by ignorance. Eradicate ignorance, the disease stops. Of course, judging by many of the comments on GD, eradicating ignorance is a lost cause.
View Quote

Ebola spreads via the same path as liberalism?

We're fucked.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Actually, no, it would not. Furthermore, "muslims" are not the problem - it is radicals claiming to act in the name of muslims, just as the radical bible thumpers acting in the name of christianity are a problem here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the radicals were muslims.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We're fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We're fucked.

I swapped bodily fluids with some liberal chicks many years ago and I didn't catch the liberalism.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my comment about ignorance above.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially in Texas?

Okay, then how does it work? How does any of it work? I know that if I've got the flu and sneeze on my hand, then go touch the doorknob, and afterwards you touch it and then bite your fingernails, you have a pretty decent chance of catching the flu too.

Last time I checked, Ebola was spread through body fluids including saliva, sweat, blood, tears, urine, etc. In many times, stuff that is already on a large percentage of people's hands.

It is an accepted fact that Hep B can survive an astonishingly long time even in a dried blood drop. As my area of expertise is in the field of electronics and aircraft with a smattering of law enforcement, I guess I'm not edumacated on how long Ebola can remain active outside the body, but for this strain, it seems like a long time with the amount of people catching it.

Since you happen to have the knowledge, how's about posting it instead of just saying, "That's not how it works?" That way, perhaps I can join you when you're dispelling the next GD panic thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I swapped bodily fluids with some liberal chicks many years ago and I didn't catch the liberalism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're fucked.

Shooting liquid republican in their mouths isn't the same.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell they can't even secure the border much less pissed-off Texans.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're a got dang sympathizer aren't ya! Quick boys get yer pitchforks!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I really hadn't considered anything like a quarantine and don't consider it high at all on the list of possibilities.  But the Administration has shown ample evidence that it will overreach, ignoring both logic and law, while attempting to whip up panic among the ignorant (even after having the lie exposed, as with F&F) so I can't say the scenario is impossible.  It would have more to do with the political reality, not the medical/technical.
View Quote

Suppose it did spread, and say Houston was quarantined. Deadline around the city.

And then say a Cat5 hurricane headed for Houston......................

It'd make for a hell of a blockbuster
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Dallas isn't an island. 3 major interstates and several smaller, yet major highways run through it, plus all the side roads. There's a river that runs across the SW corner from NW to SE, that might contain some, but there's a shitload of area around it and it's not deep or wide enough to stop people from just wading over. Probably with a truckload of used tires, you could make a wet crossing and go across in a jeep in spots.

You'd have better luck trying to contain NE Dallas where the hospital is, inside the LBJ/635 loop, north of I30 and west of I75, but that encompasses TWO major hospitals and a shitload of all kinds of people, lower working class minorities, to some of the uber-rich country club types.

So even if you could muster enough manpower to block it, there's already a shit ton of guns on the street in the hands of folks who don't respect the law to start with. Then there's everybody else.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd bet if wouldn't be too hard to find enough people who think dying from ebola is much worse than attacking a roadblock to break out. Is this just another GD "when is it ok to shoot at gubment troops" scenario?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#30]
It is too late for quarantine IMHO.

Incubation period virtually guarantees this out in the wild.

If they do I expect massive panic and the city to burn actually
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#31]
You know what would be hilarious? For some comedy guys in Dallas to makeup up like they have Ebola and wander around downtown.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.  Adding "radical" is just a way of trying to not offend those who want to kill us.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Götterdämmerung.............
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Too late for that, but you may want to set something aside in your Fall budget for barricading your residential redoubt

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#35]

LOL. They can't even contain small sections of the southern borders in this country. If a major metropolitan city went off the rails there would be nothing or no one to stop it. Not even Costa and his beard .

Reminds me of the line by Bane from the recent Batman movie " Do you feel in charge?"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My brother is in DFW.  Good luck getting him to cooperate with anything.  Most stubborn bastard  on this planet.
View Quote

Sounds like my brother.  That sumbitch wont listen to anyone.  You could have everyone at the table tell him the exact same story and event that he was at and he would tell it back completely different and then fight to the bitter end that hes right and everyone else is wrong.   Boy he pisses me off.  That's why I love the 2200 miles between us.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag for tagging
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They are.  Adding "radical" is just a way of trying to not offend those who want to kill us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Will be like the movie 28 Days Later by the time we finally go back in
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but how many radical Christians are still living like its the 7th century and cutting peoples heads off that don't agree or convert?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Infowars is notorious for overblowing things like this. There is usually a kernel or two of truth in their articles, but they bake a pretty big loaf of nonsense around it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, but how many radical Christians are still living like its the 7th century and cutting peoples heads off that don't agree or convert?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is only because of our legal system. It it weren't for the rule of secular law in this country, the radical bible thumpers would behave exactly like ISIS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SNIP

That is only because of our legal system. It it weren't for the rule of secular law in this country, the radical bible thumpers would behave exactly like ISIS.
View Quote

I suppose.  Radicals of any religion would be quite fanatical regarding their views.  However Christianity preaches peace and love for your fellow man, for example the Golden Rule "Love thy neighbor as thy self".  Where Islam preaches death to all non-believers regardless if moderate or not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Dallas will be fine...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
there will be no quarantine

Buy the time they figure out it is spreading it will long be outside of Dallas and Texas.
close 1 million people a day travel by air in the US
View Quote

This.   I have run this scenario many times on Plague Inc.   we (humanity) always lose.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#46]
PANIC!!!!!!111!!!one!!!111
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
[conduct code violation removed - Paul]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Que the "it's happening" GIF

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I suppose.  Radicals of any religion would be quite fanatical regarding their views.  However Christianity preaches peace and love for your fellow man, for example the Golden Rule "Love thy neighbor as thy self".  Where Islam preaches death to all non-believers regardless if moderate or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

You are incorrect, and your comment only contributes to the already overly large body of ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
[conduct code violation removed - Paul]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top