Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/2/2006 11:58:21 AM EST
I went to Connecticut yesterday to pick up a Motorcycle I bought.
I knew the right front ball joint was going bad so I told the mechanic to do both sides, I put new tires on the Dakota too.
I also replaced the break pads while it was disassembled.

I'm going down interstate 84 from Pa. to NYS and then into conn.
Half way there I stated hearing a little noise form the front end, I hit the breaks and it goes away.
I get to conn. pick up my bike and am half way home when the front end starts vibrating like crazy when I turn or change lanes.

I couldn't get over fast enough to stop and when I did I pulled into a fuel stop.
I couldn't fucking believe what I saw.
There was one lug snapped off and one lug nut missing and the other 4 lug nuts were almost at the end of the threads.
This fucking dip shit mechanic never tightened the lugs on the front drivers side.

When I say it was a close call I'm not exaggerating at all.

WTF is wrong with people today?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:34:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 12:35:01 PM EST by Deej86]
Complain with the manager, if that doesn't get you anywhere, try the BBB. Shit like that gets people into accidents or killed.

An identical thing happened to my dad when he went to National Tire and Battery. They overtightened the lugs on his service truck and wound up in a similar fashion. He almost lost his tire.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:36:34 PM EST
....So what kind of motorcycle is it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:38:08 PM EST
Glad you are Ok... I just hope the shop makes it right. You should post the shop here if they do not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:45:41 PM EST
Could also be they didn't balance the tires. Had the same thing happen. I personally tighted the lugs after getting tires, and because it was out of balance, it started backing the lugs off as I drove. Snapped two off which made a ping noise that I heard over the radio. Enough time to pull over and stop my 71 GTO from plowing in the dirt.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:48:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By jrzy:
I knew the right front ball joint was going bad so I told the mechanic to do both sides, I put new tires on the Dakota too.

Half way there I stated hearing a little noise form the front end, I hit the breaks and it goes away.
I get to conn. pick up my bike and am half way home when the front end starts vibrating like crazy when I turn or change lanes.

I couldn't get over fast enough to stop and when I did I pulled into a fuel stop.
There was one lug snapped off and one lug nut missing and the other 4 lug nuts were almost at the end of the threads.
This fucking dip shit mechanic never tightened the lugs on the front drivers side.

That is one of those learning experiences you will NEVER forget.

If you ever hear/feel that again, you will know instantly what the problem is.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:48:20 PM EST
You can party with Ron White at his new Big 'Ole GD Building.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:54:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Originally Posted By jrzy:

That is one of those learning experiences you will NEVER forget.

If you ever hear/feel that again, you will know instantly what the problem is.

+10000
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:05:02 PM EST
The place where I get my tires done actually makes you watch as they tighten the lugs. After that, they tell you to recheck the lugs after 40 miles. Then they have you sign off on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:56:32 PM EST
That happened to me once . . . except the front driver's side wheel actually came off, the Bronco dipped, the wheel continued across two lanes of traffic and down the road on its own and the Bronco ground a halt on the flat spot it made on the disc rotor. Fun times.
Top Top