Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 1:44:03 PM EDT by mhoffman]

Wife just sent me the picture. No article or write up to go with it, unfortunately, but she did get it from a blog she frequently reads. Apparently this girl went around Jerusalem taking pictures on her trip. Here's the blog. Nothing much more interesting than the above image, though.

Not good enough resolution to tell if those are actually automatics or not.

I guess there's some law against carrying loaded unless necessary

Still, show me a McDonalds around here where we can do this and not incur the presence of law enforcement!

_MaH

ETA: Damn... If I held out for just one more post I could have made this my 1800!

ETA 2: No idea why it didn't show up. Grabbed a copy from my cache and hosted it myself -- should work now.

ETA 3: Subject changed so as to not inadvertantly "mislead" people. Seems I've learned a little about Israel today!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:05:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:12:50 AM EDT by shotar]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:06:58 AM EDT
I've always felt the red x was more appropriate than the black x in instances like this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:08:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mhoffman:

Still, show me a McDonalds around here where we can do this and not incur the presence of law enforcement!

Folks in this country aren't big fans of mandatory military service.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:10:00 AM EDT
Amazing how those rifles are not jumping out of their hands and flying toward the nearest school at supersonic speeds.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:10:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
Man that is one gorgeous red X

Considering it is a pictures of a bunch of guys, you might want to change what you said
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:11:27 AM EDT by _DR]

Teenagers?

AS in 18 or 19, maybe. Those boys are in the IDF. And they look older to me, like in their 20s.
Civilian teens don't walk into McDonalds with M16s, not even in Israel.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:10:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:

Exactly, they are IDF, not regular civilians.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:11:57 AM EDT

I wonder what they go for there
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:13:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:

I have heard, but could be wrong, that Israel buys them from the us for about $100 each if not less.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:14:17 AM EDT
As the others have said, they're soldiers, not civilians. It's not much different than a policeman walking in for some lunch with his service weapon on his belt. Civilian ownership of guns is very tightly regulated in Israel, is it not?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:14:38 AM EDT

Hamburgers,fries,apple pies.......
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:15:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

I thought essentially all Israeli young adults were IDF in some capacity.

Pretty sure those are full auto. Suspect there are few semi-only ARs over there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:17:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DonS:

Originally Posted By _DR:

I thought essentially all Israeli young adults were IDF in some capacity.

Pretty sure those are full auto. Suspect there are few semi-only ARs over there.

Military service is obligatory, that does not mean that every young citizen is in the IDF at any given time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:18:10 AM EDT

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:21:00 AM EDT by Texaspyro21]
my question is what the hell are they gonna do with unloaded rifles?

ETA- Foxxz if that is your picture, they look like they wanted to shoot you for taking it
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:20:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Foxxz:
nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/random/Buying_Ice_Cream.jpg

-Foxxz

Im in lust
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:22:15 AM EDT
misleading thread title. Gives the impression any teen can carry an M16 anywhere.

not true
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:22:22 AM EDT
Different society. The Izzies need to be ready at a moments notice to deal with any possible threat.

It is an unusual sight, nevertheless; uniformed is one thing, patrol units...but kids that look like they just got out of the gym with combat rifles slung over their shoulder ordering a Big Mac and fries isn't something you see every day. Someone else said it a few posts back: can you imagine doing that here in the U.S.? There's be SWAT units rappelling from hovering helos before their orders could be served.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:23:48 AM EDT

Big Mac and Fries, maybe a shake.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:23:49 AM EDT

as in the OP's pic. nothing in the mag well so who cares if'ya' did it here every agency within range would be in there Lenco Baers the Feds bought and heading for a shootout protecting the cowering Liberals screaming into there cell phone of armageddon at McChoads
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:25:45 AM EDT

-Foxxz

right click and saved as-Woof!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:26:48 AM EDT
While it does look cool to wander around with the guns, I'm just as glad that we generally don't have to do it for survivals sake. I'd bet they would love to be able to wander around without having to carry them along.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:27:06 AM EDT
This thread is just too cool not to tag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:29:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
While it does look cool to wander around with the guns, I'm just as glad that we generally don't have to do it for survivals sake. I'd bet they would love to be able to wander around without having to carry them along.

We do, you just dont see them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:39:00 AM EDT
I was in Israel many years ago. The first thing I noticed was the M-16s everywhere I went. I took a cab from Haifa to Tel Aviv. There was a lot of barbed wire and the cab driver was really getting it. He was driving a MB. I thought that was pretty cool, a mercedes cab. Tel Aviv was really neat. I only wish that I had taken a holy land tour, but I was too busy getting trashed in the clubs. Saw some uzi's, too. I would like to go back to Israel soon. It is a cool place to see.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:41:17 AM EDT by Subconscious]
I bet they're trying the new bacon cheeseburger!

ETA: Page 2 belongs to bacon in Israel!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:42:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:47:11 AM EDT by chapperjoe]
they're all auto's and L-rd help you if there's a round in there when its not allowed to be...

also, lots of civilians (no such thing really since everyone who carries one was active and is a permanent reserve like Switzerland) get issue M16's.... mainly those that live in the west bank or gaza (well not gaza anymore since they retreated to a secure border )

In the hesder yeshivas in the west bank (hesder = combine service and study), every one of them has an armory with hundreds of M16's (Nam era the ones I've seen) and a few negevs and LOTS of grenades.

wish I would've been a bigger gun nut when I was in Israel!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:46:59 AM EDT
Thats the way it should be in the USA. No-body afraid of a simple object.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:03:28 PM EDT
tag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 12:13:01 PM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By Subconscious:

Not unless they came up with a kosher form of bacon - I don't think pork can be kosher.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:15:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Subconscious:

Bacon & other pork products aren't uncommon in Israel. Not all Israeli Jews follow the Kosher laws. Some of the more conservative sects of Judiasm do want to ban non-kosher products in Israel.

What a cool country, full auto toys & pork products!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:41:28 PM EDT
The interesting part is that in Israel, private firearm ownership is not something you can talk happily about. IIRC, pistols are really tough to get and you can only have certain amount of ammunition at a time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:46:12 PM EDT
I'm sure that rape and sexual mollestation must be low with chicks packing like that. Pretty cool and a turn on if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:48:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ricky_45:
I was in Israel many years ago. The first thing I noticed was the M-16s everywhere I went. I took a cab from Haifa to Tel Aviv. There was a lot of barbed wire and the cab driver was really getting it. He was driving a MB. I thought that was pretty cool, a mercedes cab.

When Mercedes imports really went up (70's-80's) my dad was like BFD . When he'd been in europe (courtesy of Uncle Sam)in the 50's he'd seen Mercedes as cabs. He thought it funny that the preppies (pre-yup era) were driving cabs with their noses in the air.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:49:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
misleading thread title. Gives the impression any teen can carry an M16 anywhere.

not true

+1

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:53:57 PM EDT
Whats so cool to be in a country that is surrounded by neighbors that want to kill you and the ony thing you can do is make it mandatory for every citizen (male and female) to serve. I'd rather live somewhere save.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:56:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

They're not carrying them for protection. They're carrying them to keep them from being stolen. Members of the IDF keep their guns with them pretty much all of the time because it is a serious crime to lose one, even if someone breaks into their home and takes it.

They are all young because they are doing their mandatory military service which is done when they reach 18 if I remember correctly.

I was in Israel a few years ago for a couple of weeks and it is funny how quickly you get used to seeing everyone carrying AR's and other weapons. Regular citizens do need a permit to carry a gun, but apparently it is not that hard to get.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:59:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stefan040271:
Whats so cool to be in a country that is surrounded by neighbors that want to kill you and the ony thing you can do is make it mandatory for every citizen (male and female) to serve. I'd rather live somewhere save.

Those guns won't do much good with no magazines. I might be wrong but aren't they prohibited from carrying ammunition with them too? I believe they carry the rifles for discipline and, as the above posted said, to prevent them from being stolen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:02:42 PM EDT
most McDonalds are regular ones. There are one or two kosher ones.

Ruomr has it the guy who franchises them in Israel is a huge anti-religious figure and he made the one in downtown Jerusalm non-kosher on purpose.... Not sure if I can back that up though.

It was cool to eat at mickey d's for two years when I was there (the kosher one of course!)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:05:29 PM EDT

-Foxxz

OMG! Is it just me or is that ice cream cone checkin that chick out, and making the cunnilingus sign.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:09:02 PM EDT
seems like carrying a slung unloaded m-16 would make you a easy target for theft. Mr terrorist gets close with a blade and then he upgrades himself to a Rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:16:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WoodDevil:
Different society. The Izzies need to be ready at a moments notice to deal with any possible threat.

It is an unusual sight, nevertheless; uniformed is one thing, patrol units...but kids that look like they just got out of the gym with combat rifles slung over their shoulder ordering a Big Mac and fries isn't something you see every day. Someone else said it a few posts back: can you imagine doing that here in the U.S.? There's be SWAT units rappelling from hovering helos before their orders could be served.

Talk about ready! How quick could you muster 500 soldiers to put fire down on a target! Even after 9-11-01 I lamented the response time of the domestic military here. Not their fault just wish we could jump into action.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:18:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
seems like carrying a slung unloaded m-16 would make you a easy target for theft. Mr terrorist gets close with a blade and then he upgrades himself to a Rifle.

I imagine that area of the world, FA rifles are much cheaper and easier to come by than over here. They probably do not need to snatch them from military personnel on the street. That and they would not get very far.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:26:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 1:27:18 PM EDT by DragoMuseveni]

Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:
my question is what the hell are they gonna do with unloaded rifles?

ETA- Foxxz if that is your picture, they look like they wanted to shoot you for taking it

Good question.

By the time they are loaded and charged Johnny Jihad blew up.

EDIT:

Unless they have a consealed handgun somewhere and are just carrying to unloaded M16 to let the Jihadist think they are defenceless.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:26:21 PM EDT
A few thoughts.

1) I have walked into a Mcdonalds with an unloaded M-16, no one wanted to stay in the humvee to guard the weapons of course I was in uniform though.

2) WTF good would an unloaded rifle do if the shtf? At least have a loaded mag in the magwell with an empty chamber.

3) Why does the US have such an imbalance of hot chicks with Israel? Dont we send them aid or something, why cant they send some hot chick aid back this way

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:28:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colklink:
A few thoughts.

1) I have walked into a Mcdonalds with an unloaded M-16, no one wanted to stay in the humvee to guard the weapons of course I was in uniform though.

2) WTF good would an unloaded rifle do if the shtf? At least have a loaded mag in the magwell with an empty chamber.

3) Why does the US have such an imbalance of hot chicks with Israel? Dont we send them aid or something, why cant they send some hot chick aid back this way

I hope that this McDs was on post. A military vehicle at a restaurant? Some SGM will have your arse
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:42:30 PM EDT
Apologies for my ignorance about the IDF, the mandatory draft, etc. etc.

Thread title corrected so y'all who are harping about it will be appeased

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 1:54:28 PM EDT by CBR900]

Originally Posted By BIRDS_ARE_DYING:

-Foxxz

OMG! Is it just me or is that ice cream cone checkin that chick out, and making the cunnilingus sign.

That ice cream cone DOES seem overly interested in the girl's, er, buttstock.

On another note: there are MANY Israelis who are not Jews. There are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Samaritan and athiest citizens (and others I am certain) - including those of the aformentioned faith who eat pork.

Israel is incredibly tolerant and diverse; did you know there are even members of their Knesset (congress) who are palestinian? - try asking the same question about diversity and tolerance in the PA controlled parts of the West Bank or in the Gaza Strip.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 2:04:34 PM EDT by junker46]

Originally Posted By ricky_45:
I was in Israel many years ago. The first thing I noticed was the M-16s everywhere I went. I took a cab from Haifa to Tel Aviv. There was a lot of barbed wire and the cab driver was really getting it. He was driving a MB. I thought that was pretty cool, a mercedes cab. Tel Aviv was really neat. I only wish that I had taken a holy land tour, but I was too busy getting trashed in the clubs. Saw some uzi's, too. I would like to go back to Israel soon. It is a cool place to see.

i've been there several times. one time driving a rental suzuki we (some buds and i) went to the far side of some lake on a poor map we were following. after a bit i noticed there wasn't any traffic and we seem to be in front of some security posts and guard towers. for me it was an 'oh, shit!' moment.

Israel has a strong military presence in the way of direct observance; like a bomb demolition robot workin' the far side of a parking lot while getting on a tour bus during a different visit. and, yes, to the plethora of Mercedes there, more common than a Toyota.

Originally Posted By colklink:
A few thoughts.

done that too, and it was off base. we had M151's so nowhere to lock them. of course, someone sat with them during the Gooney Golf set. ah, the ignorance of youth...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:10:05 PM EDT
I was in Israel when Iraq invaded Kuwait. Prior to the invasion it was common to see school teachers with UZI's instructing a class on a field trip. The military was everywhere. I enjoyed it a lot. They take US money, and you can even write a check to purchase things. A bunch of the citizens were US jews that moved to live in Israel.

After the invasion the country took on a whole different attitude and tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top