Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:58:52 PM EST
If a person was willing to serve the U.S military honorably for four years would you say he earned his or her right to be counted amongst U.S citizens.

There are a bunch of fuckbags who dishonor the title U.S citizen why not let a person who would give his time to serve this great nation the title.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:00:02 PM EST
I wouldnt have a problem with it
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:01:13 PM EST
I believe that is the way it works now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:01:52 PM EST
I believe it should surely help them.

I had two very close friends in the Marines serve with me who were not Americans but did everything they could to get their citizenship. One was Ukrainian and one was Canadian. Very stand up Marines.

P
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:02:06 PM EST
It is a legal path to citizenship and I'm alright with that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:02:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By RRD3:
I believe that is the way it works now.

yes it is. i knew a couple that were working on their citizenship
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:04:22 PM EST
Yes but he/she still needs to pass the test.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:04:38 PM EST
There are many more ways to citizenship then just serving in the military. If someone want to serve, I think that earns citizenship, but illegal immigrants should not be alowed to serve.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:04:53 PM EST
Yes
The laws shloud be changed to automatic citizenship at a certain point in his'her service. Not at the beginning and not waiting to the end of his her career either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:05:04 PM EST
Yeah, that is a practice that has been around for a long time already. And I served with a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:05:20 PM EST
I met several who were serving and one on this board was granted citizenship while stationed in Iraq.

Each one of them has done more than most "citizens" of the US who have done nothing more than have the good fortune to be shot out of a vagina on US soil.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:05:40 PM EST
Military service as a pathway to citizenship has merit. However it should not apply to illegals, who by their very nature are criminals. We dont need more criminals in the military.

But if some 18 year old in Mexico wants to enlist in the USMC for the promise of citizenship in 4-years, let him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:06:00 PM EST
I think that is more American than many Americans currently are.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:08:21 PM EST
The individual must be a citizen first and then serve in the military. They need to know what and who they are serving or willing to die for. Not for what they wish to become.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:08:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By Redguard:
If a person was willing to serve the U.S military honorably for four years would you say he earned his or her right to be counted amongst U.S citizens.

There are a bunch of fuckbags who dishonor the title U.S citizen why not let a person who would give his time to serve this great nation the title.

Four years? Green card holders on active duty can apply to naturalize after one year. LINK
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:09:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Raven101:
The individual must be a citizen first and then serve in the military. They need to know what and who they are serving or willing to die for. Not for what they wish to become.

wrong
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:10:08 PM EST
My wife was an immigrant and served, is now a US citizen.

do you mean an ILLEGAL immigrant?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:10:45 PM EST
It's too bad the military even needs to take that road to get numbers up. But I guess it is ok as a route towards being a citizen
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:12:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 1:14:15 PM EST by ziebart]
Right now their applications go through the same process as everyone else's, but they get put on a fast track. I think it is a good program.

ETA if you meant illegal immanent then no. You have already broken the laws. Though we let plenty of people in that break the laws. Anything is waiver-able.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:12:42 PM EST
My former boss joined the USAF from Athens, Greece. Shipped off to Lackland for basic when he could only speak about five words of English. He spent three and a half years in Biloxi, MS (learning English there, he's got an interesting accent now ) before becoming a citizen and going to OTS. 25 years later he's now the squadron commander of an intercontinental ballistic missile squadron.

Is this a great country, or what?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:12:44 PM EST
absolutely.
nothing ingrains the pride of a country or people like serving.
almost all indian tribes allowed citizenry for fighting alongside them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:12:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cyclic240B:
Yeah, that is a practice that has been around for a long time already. And I served with a bunch of them.

Same.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:13:29 PM EST
Hell yes.

However, this shouldnt apply to illegal immigrants, as they have demonstrated a lack of respect for our laws.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:16:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:16:37 PM EST
Fine by me. Most illegal aliens come here to work and are willing to do so, which is more than I can say for many of our welfare-sucking native sons and daughters (too bad we can't deport them and keep the aliens). Oh well, that keeps all the "community organizers" employed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:18:06 PM EST
My grandfather immigrated from Scotland and served as a cook in WWI to get his citizenship. He had a glass eye so he never saw combat but served honorably to his ability.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:22:59 PM EST
I said no, buy it's not an emphatic no. For an immigrant to become a citizen, I believe the most important thing for them to do is 1) master the languate and 2) demonstrate knowledge of American history and civics. Serving in the military means you've probably accomplished the first item, but I still think you need to understand the US before you can vote for its leaders.

That said, I do think that military service should make becoming a citizen much easier than it is. Perhaps if the military offered citizenship courses and service members demonstrated that they had mastered the course, citizenship would be just about automatic at the end of their first enlistment.

Off the top of my head, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:24:27 PM EST
I have no problem with that as long as it doesn't include all of his extended family members.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:26:59 PM EST
They already can get citizenship through military service. I'm all for it. 99% of the American born don't do anything but fall out of their mothers snatch. I have a lot of respect for foreigners willing to fight for their freedom.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:27:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 1:29:45 PM EST by TheCanuck]

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Military service as a pathway to citizenship has merit. However it should not apply to illegals, who by their very nature are criminals. We dont need more criminals in the military.

But if some 18 year old in Mexico wants to enlist in the USMC for the promise of citizenship in 4-years, let him.

Can't enlist in the USMC as a foreigner unless you have family in the US I believe. I have no idea how the Corps describes "family"
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:28:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Military service as a pathway to citizenship has merit. However it should not apply to illegals, who by their very nature are criminals.

THIS. Most people forget that ILLEGALS ARE CRIMINALS, not the poor souls looking for a better life that people would have you believe.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:29:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Renegade13B:

wrong

Not by law I said "must be a citizen first" but my opinion he or she should be. Do they serve to get something in return? Or do they serve for the betterment of others?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:29:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
They already can get citizenship through military service. I'm all for it. 99% of the American born don't do anything but fall out of their mothers snatch. I have a lot of respect for foreigners willing to fight for their freedom.

+1

I don't have any issues with it...

At least they are willing to EARN something....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:31:29 PM EST
yup
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:33:45 PM EST
6 months in a combat zone does it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:34:38 PM EST

Several folks have mentioned this. How does that work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:35:22 PM EST

wrong

Not by law I said "must be a citizen first" but my opinion he or she should be. Do they serve to get something in return? Or do they serve for the betterment of others?

What branch of the military did you serve in?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:36:37 PM EST
Army
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:36:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By bluefalcon:
It is a legal path to citizenship and I'm alright with that.

Roger that!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:38:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mastadon:

I'm not sure I think they just apply for it. We had two panamanian combat engineers attached to our platoon who got their citizenship when we were in afghan.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:40:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:40:49 PM EST
yes....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:41:05 PM EST

That said, I do think that military service should make becoming a citizen much easier than it is. Perhaps if the military offered citizenship courses and service members demonstrated that they had mastered the course, citizenship would be just about automatic at the end of their first enlistment.

It already is easier for those who serve. Easier in the sense that they don't have to wait as long before being eligible for naturalization. And no "citizenship courses" are really needed. The history/civics test is very easy. I'm a naturalized citizen (not via military service) and I certainly didn't need a course. A couple of evenings reviewing the test guide was sufficient.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:42:39 PM EST

LINK
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:42:40 PM EST

wrong

Dosen't matter why they do it, only that they do it. Unless you're the thought police The U.S. is not an exclusive club. Those who want in, and jump through the hoops, should, and do get in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:43:39 PM EST
No branch allows illegal aliens to enlist.

We are not against immigration, we are against ILLEGAL immigration.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:45:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

It already is easier for those who serve. Easier in the sense that they don't have to wait as long before being eligible for naturalization. And no "citizenship courses" are really needed. The history/civics test is very easy. I'm a naturalized citizen (not via military service) and I certainly didn't need a course. A couple of evenings reviewing the test guide was sufficient.

Gotcha. From what I know from speaking with friends who have become citizens, it is truly a hassle of astronomical proportions. I'm glad to hear that immigrants who serve have an easier time of it. They certainly do more than most to earn it. As to the citizenship test, I'm sure that, as easy as it might be, there are plenty of Americans who couldn't pass it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:46:20 PM EST
In Basic there was this Chap from England. I can't for the life of me remember his name.
But if a Lawful Immigrant wan't to join the military, and they pass the Security Background Checks, I have no problem with them gaining Citizenship.

Footnote: One of the Grads from my Basic Class had the same MOS I was going to have. But he flunked his background check. Whatever happened to him is something I never knew. And it wasn't the bloke from England.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:47:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

LINK

Awesome. Thanks for the link. I think that's exactly as it should be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:47:47 PM EST
I'm cool with it, as long as they weren't here illegally first.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:49:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Fine by me. Most illegal aliens come here to work and are willing to do so, which is more than I can say for many of our welfare-sucking native sons and daughters (too bad we can't deport them and keep the aliens). Oh well, that keeps all the "community organizers" employed.

My thoughts exactly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top