Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2007 10:18:05 PM EDT
Ok, this is teh sci-fi what if thread, don't take this thread to seriously.

Why is it that in all these alien movies, they come down in their ships, knowing that we will try and nuke them, thus destroying large amounts of what they came to conquer.

I just got through watching ID4 and I was thinking, if aliens were wanting our planet, and they wanted us all dead why would they come down in ships as a first attack. As they do in 90% of all alien movies.

It seems to me if a guy was to make an alien invasion movie believable, it would happen entirely differently. Lets say the hypothetical alien conquerors really wanted us all to die, why wouldn't they use some form of engineered virus. They could administer it all over the globe thin out the population. And they could do so with out us even knowing what was happening, or who to blame.

You would think if they could master interstellar travel, they could probably make some effective germ warfare agents, and wipe out 2/3 of humanity by planting the virus in several key locations world wide.

Using bio warfare first, then use their war ships against the remainder of the fighting forces, then eventually plan a land invasion/occupation/extermination.  We wouldn't have a chance. Kind of a reverse of the War of the worlds.

Put that in your next movie Spielberg!

Just make the humans over come all odds at the end, and destroy the alien menace.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you say "Invasion of the Body Snatchers?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
"They" would simply fart, and winds would carry out their deadly deed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
or Battlefield Earth?

(ok bio/chem warfare is mentioned in the book, ignored in the movie but still...)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Scifi is just to weird for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
or Battlefield Earth?

(ok bio/chem warfare is mentioned in the book, ignored in the movie but still...)

Really, hmmm.

Interesting, the movie sucked but I hear good things about the book.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or Battlefield Earth?

Really, hmmm.

1100 page book, the movie (barely) covers about 10 chapters (and even that is just skimming through the chapters )
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thank you for your positive contribution to this thread.

Damn post-whore.

The OP has a point.  Realistically speaking, that would be a better way to go about an invasion, but part of the point of an alien invasion flick is entertainment.  If people just started dropping like flies until the human race is largely extinct, then the ships landed, to finish off the rest and plunder the spoils, what would be the fun in that?

Then again, I'm sure someone creative could come up with an interesting story out of the premise...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
They wouldn't know our genetic makeup and what would kill us unless they did a bit of probing first.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They wouldn't know our genetic makeup and what would kill us unless they did a bit of probing first.

Let's say for sake of argument they have studied us.

After all, before you engage the enemy you have to know what his strengths and weaknesses are.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course, you could give it to the Cylons...

Infiltrate your enemy as one of them.  Disable the defense network.  Nuke everything in sight and engage any and all ships that are now disabled.

Pretty effective means of destroying one's enemy.

Of course, another interesting way could be to destroy the ozone layer around the planet.  Might wipe out anything living on the ground...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for your positive contribution to this thread.

Damn post-whore.

The OP has a point.  Realistically speaking, that would be a better way to go about an invasion, but part of the point of an alien invasion flick is entertainment.  If people just started dropping like flies until the human race is largely extinct, then the ships landed, to finish off the rest and plunder the spoils, what would be the fun in that?

Then again, I'm sure someone creative could come up with an interesting story out of the premise...

Post whore? What? lol, it gets boring for me after I get done with the day what else am I supposed to whore
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]

(aids + ebola)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Infiltrate your enemy as one of them.  Disable the defense network.  Nuke everything in sight and engage any and all ships that are now disabled.

Of course, another interesting way could be to destroy the ozone layer around the planet.  Might wipe out anything living on the ground...

They could even muck with the climate to cause global warmi......

OH SHIT!!!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In the movie Arrival, the aliens were using Global Warming to make our planet more like their home planet.

As the alien BG put it, just speeding up the process humans started.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just turn off power permenantly.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good plan.  Those that didn't die from simply not having a clue how to survive would quickly turn on each other.

Yes, my view of humanity is that dim...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good plan.  Those that didn't die from simply not having a clue how to survive would quickly turn on each other.

Yes, my view of humanity is that dim...

What would we do with out ARFCOM!

Those damn alien bastards,

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Read John Ringo's "Legacy of the Aldenata". Humans are pretty much overwhelmed early. Nothing like being outnumbered like a million to one. Power armor rocks (never enough suits) and when BUN-BUN(EAT ANTI-MATTER, POSLEEN BOY!) gets unleashed its nuclear hell on the Posleen.

Still, we pull it out at the end (barely). One of the best Sci-Fi series out there. Time to reread them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What fun would the movie be then?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
What? Alien farts aren't a viable weapon?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What fun would the movie be then?

Humans over coming tremendous odds.

Make the humans learn and use the invaders technology against the aliens.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or Battlefield Earth?

Really, hmmm.

Had I not known going in, I would not have recognized any connection between the movie and the book.

The book was good.

The movie bore no resemblance to the book.

A week long mini series might do so some day.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]

..alien conquerors really wanted us all to die,

See, that's just it.  They don't want us dead, they want to harvest us-- ALIVE!!11!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

..alien conquerors really wanted us all to die,

See, that's just it.  They don't want us dead, they want to harvest us-- ALIVE!!11!!

That was "Signs", and as much as many hated that movie I liked it.

I was kind of thinking along the War of the Worlds or ID4 aliens. Being bent on killing all humans, and using our planet as thier own.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Kinetic energy weapons are cheaper. Just get some large rocks on  a collision course with the planet, might not kill everyone but it would destroy modern civilization which would kill most people plus throwing off the ecosystem would starve pretty much everyone

but they want our resources intact.

But yeah, if they wanted to destroy us, and not worry so much about our resources then yes that would be an excellent idea.

Kind of like when the bugs from Star ship troopers lauched that meteor into that south American city.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Kinetic energy weapons are cheaper. Just get some large rocks on  a collision course with the planet, might not kill everyone but it would destroy modern civilization which would kill most people plus throwing off the ecosystem would starve pretty much everyone

Lucifer's Hammer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Farts are cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Farts are cheaper.

True, but are said farts only dangerous to humans?

Or would those noxious farts also kill all plant and animal life?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#30]
wasn't Battlefield Earth an L Ron Hubbard book?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Damn sure is!

I was thinking surely not, but I will Google first to see.

I won't be reading that one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn sure is!

I was thinking surely not, but I will Google first to see.

I won't be reading that one.

give it a shot and try to ignore the cultist name on the front cover.

Theres no mention of midichlorians or vulcans flying DC-10s, or whatever the hell scientologists believe in in the book.

its "Battlefield Earth"  not "Dianetics 2"  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't care about the prospect of invading-blood thirsty, human harvesting E.T.s. As long as they feast on democrats.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I thought Battlefield Earth was a series of like 10 books.

My college roomate had 'em, and I made it through like 3.

Damn good.

I was initially freaked by the L Ron, part too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:14:16 AM EDT
[#36]
The aliens could sneak across the border and out breed us.

Cheap and effective way to destroy our civiliztion and and enslave us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#37]
If they kill us all out who will do the slave labor?
Don't blame me, I voted for Kudos.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, I suppose we could ask Hillery what she intends to do.

Wait, is she an alien or a demon?  I can never keep it straight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#39]
What resources?

Iron, aluminum, copper, and other metals? There are thousands, if not millions, of cubic miles of metals floating around in the asteroid belts. It’s easier to get at than the metals on Earth and you don’t have to fool around with our gravity well.

Fossil Fuels? I don’t know what powers a Zortian Death Cruiser but I’m pretty sure it’s not coal. Aliens wouldn’t need our energy resources.

Food? I doubt that aliens would be able to eat terrestrial foods. The chemistry would be wrong.

Water? There are hundreds of millions of cubic miles of water floating around in the Oort cloud. And there’s Europa, a moon of Jupiter, which has far more water than Earth does.

Wood? Wood actually might be a luxury item that space aliens would want. But it would be far easier for them to buy a few trees from us than it would to invade us and risk destroying the trees.

But if aliens wanted to wipe us out they could just redirect a few asteroids so they cross Earth’s orbit. Nothing we could do to stop it and a sufficiently large asteroid would wipe us out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What resources?

Iron, aluminum, copper, and other metals? There are thousands, if not millions, of cubic miles of metals floating around in the asteroid belts. It’s easier to get at than the metals on Earth and you don’t have to fool around with our gravity well.

Fossil Fuels? I don’t know what powers a Zortian Death Cruiser but I’m pretty sure it’s not coal. Aliens wouldn’t need our energy resources.

Food? I doubt that aliens would be able to eat terrestrial foods. The chemistry would be wrong.

Water? There are hundreds of millions of cubic miles of water floating around in the Oort cloud. And there’s Europa, a moon of Jupiter, which has far more water than Earth does.

Wood? Wood actually might be a luxury item that space aliens would want. But it would be far easier for them to buy a few trees from us than it would to invade us and risk destroying the trees.

But if aliens wanted to wipe us out they could just redirect a few asteroids so they cross Earth’s orbit. Nothing we could do to stop it and a sufficiently large asteroid would wipe us out.

Jeez, I never thought of it that way.

I guess we're safe until "Mars Needs Women"
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Funny, I just started reading this:
An Introduction to Planetary Defense
Pretty good so far, and written by SDI folks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Instead of landing in plain sight and blasting the hell out of the livestock (including humans), smart aliens would instead monitor our our broadcasts slowly to discover and exploit our weaknesses.  Once they discovered our motivations (food/sex/fame/sex/love/power/sex), they would then infiltrate our society's power structures from within until they control us by pandering to our baser desires.  Possible targets could include Hollywood, the newsmedia, politics (all parties), and... wait a minute, I'll be right back, there's a knock at the do  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

HELLO????

ANAL PROBES?????

GEEEZZZZ,, they been studying us for a long time.

They're coming.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#44]
To use a virus, they would have to study us pretty closely for a while, and perhaps our main food sources such as cattle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I thought Battlefield Earth was a series of like 10 books.

My college roomate had 'em, and I made it through like 3.

Damn good.

I was initially freaked by the L Ron, part too.

No, that was invasion, or invasion from mars, something like that, 10 books, pretty goo reads.

Battlefield earth was one book.  One of the best scifi books I have read.

Do not let the name of the author scare you away, it was a fantastic book.

And remember, he knows scientology is a crock.  Not to mention, look at all the people who follow it are, idiotic actors.  Who spend alot of money to learn what a simple google search will show you.

He's the new pt barnum for morons.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, this was already thought up in Star Trek the Next Generation.

The Carassians (sp?) were buidling a metagenic weapon-a bomb with engineered virus that would kill all the people on the planet. Then in a few weeks, the virus would die off, leaving all the planets resources and equipment intact.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or Battlefield Earth?

Really, hmmm.

Don't believe any good things you hear about the book. I just finished it, and it is total crap. How that hack got so many people sucked up in his "religion" is beyond me.

ETA I did read this book after reading three by Heinlein, so my expectations may have been too high.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#48]
One more point to ponder-What if they are a warrior class, like Predators, who find honor in battle?  Then they WOULD attack head on for the glory associated with it.

Then they would polish our skulls and hum softly to themselves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#49]
The aliens would still fail because Chuck Norris, Master Chiefm, and Jack Bauer would survive the initial attack(s) and take out the alien force when they arrive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Our bacteria will kill them. Think "War Of The Worlds".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top