Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 3:42:18 PM EDT
They keep letting it run loose & it chases kids on foot & bike

How much warning should I give them before taking action?

All my kids are under 8 & can't outrun/defend themselves.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]

By that point, they should find out when they notice the dog hasn't been home in a couple of days.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Suppressed 10/22

I don't like people who let their dog's run loose.  If they're on my property they are tresspassing and fair game.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If the dog has proven to be dangerous to others, once it's on my property, it's fair game.

Don't go out of your way to kill some neighbors dog just because you don't like how it looks though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot,Shovel,Shut Up
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking biting as in aggressive biting drawing blood needing bandaides and stitches  or Play biting / mouthing / nipping ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooting dogs is animal abuse in my state. That's a FELONY! Get some money ready for bail and set aside several thousand dollars for a lawyer, if you deceide to shoot.
Best to talk to the owners or call animal control and stay on their ass until they do their job!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Animal control. Unless you shoot it in immediate defense of your family, you're screwed, and you may be even then.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember I went outside for some fresh air and all of a sudden a huge Boxer comes running at me!
in my own driveway... so I ran inside and went to my room grabbed my Sig p220 went back outside but it was gone back 2 houses down from where I live. Next day we called the cops and when we were talking to the officer outside the dog was in the street barking at some lady and her kid walking so we didnt have to explain much to him, he called the pound and that was the end of that. The officer said if it tried to attack him he would shoot it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Its really sad when it comes down to killing a pet but sometimes its unavoidable.  Personaly I would give him 2-3 warnings, and if it comes down to it, then kill the dog.

BUT don't shoot him there's only 1 way to do this without being blamed for the dogs death. Listen up as hardly anyone knows this. I was told this by an older good friend of mine

Go buy a large sponge and cut it down as you see fit for the size of the dog. Soak the sponge in some beef gravy and throw in a place you know the problem dog will get the dog will be dead in about 3-4 days.

How does this kill the dog? The dog will swallow the sponge whole without a second thought and the sponge will effectly stop up the dog and will die.

Yes I know its a horrible way to die but if it comes down to the choice between your childs safty there is no choice period.

ETA: There is no chance in being caught in this unless you are seen giveing the dog the sponge.  Even if the owner finds out that a sponge stopped him up you can easly blame it on the dog digging though trash
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They keep letting it run loose & it chases kids on foot & bike

How much warning should I give them before taking action?

All my kids are under 8 & can't outrun/defend themselves.

If it's already bitten a kid why is it still alive.

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok home boy, but what gives with the deep throat doc in the avatar
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Animal Control

You don't owe anyone a warning. They know their dog is running around loose.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#14]
There is always the bowl of antifreeze trick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Its really sad when it comes down to killing a pet but sometimes its unavoidable.  Personaly I would give him 2-3 warnings, and if it comes down to it, then kill the dog.

BUT don't shoot him there's only 1 way to do this without being blamed for the dogs death. Listen up as hardly anyone knows this. I was told this by an older good friend of mine

Go buy a large sponge and cut it down as you see fit for the size of the dog. Soak the sponge in some beef gravy and throw in a place you know the problem dog will get the dog will be dead in about 3-4 days.

How does this kill the dog? The dog will swallow the sponge whole without a second thought and the sponge will effectly stop up the dog and will die.

Yes I know its a horrible way to die but if it comes down to the choice between your childs safty there is no choice period.

ETA: There is no chance in being caught in this unless you are seen giveing the dog the sponge.  Even if the owner finds out that a sponge stopped him up you can easly blame it on the dog digging though trash

And there is NO WAY this will target the offending animal. Any other animal could come by and eat it. If you can not, or do not want to take direct action against it, leave it alone and call  Animal Control. Thats as bad as putting out a bowl of Antifreeze.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Call animal control and write a letter to the mayor/city attorney or whatever in your town saying that there is a dangerous kid biting dog running loose.That way they know that if there is another bite you will be all over the newspapers going on about how the town lets man eating dogs run loose.

+1  Let them handle so your nose stays clean AND the problem gets solved.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on state or local law. In MA there are NO free bites. The victim can have the dog put down after first incident. Most don't deserve this radical resolution but several do.
The owners should also be penalized monetarily to make the point perfectly clear that irresponsible training(or complete lack thereof) and proper control methods for dogs with questionable behavior will not be tolerated by the general public.  An improperly trained or untrained dog is far more dangerous than a firearm in any case.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And if you get caught doing this, or someone can prove it was you, you're going to jail.  There are no two ways about it, this is premeditated animal cruelty.  This is no different than skinning an animal alive or setting it on fire.  It's intentionally cruel and never justified.

If you can't  justify shooting the dog on the spot, you have no right to kill it.  I have three dogs and get along with most dogs I run across.  I also won't hesitate to kill any dog that threatens me or my family, including my own dogs.  I'm not some PETA supporting freak, but I do believe in treating animals with respect.

Posting tips on how to commit crimes against animals is in extremely poor taste.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#20]
If it bites, it's feral and it's dead meat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if you get caught doing this, or someone can prove it was you, you're going to jail.  There are no two ways about it, this is premeditated animal cruelty.  This is no different than skinning an animal alive or setting it on fire.  It's intentionally cruel and never justified.

If you can't  justify shooting the dog on the spot, you have no right to kill it.  I have three dogs and get along with most dogs I run across.  I also won't hesitate to kill any dog that threatens me or my family, including my own dogs.  I'm not some PETA supporting freak, but I do believe in treating animals with respect.

Posting tips on how to commit crimes against animals is in extremely poor taste.

Thankfully I have never used this.  I plan to exaust every other option beforehand(I didn' think of animal control in my first post), but if it comes right down to it and theres no other option then I'll do it without any kind of hesitation if anybody I love is in danger. Which I'm sure you any everyone else out there would do the same.

You make it sound like I enjoy killing pets maybe you need to reread my first sentance of my first post.  How is my tip any different than the others who are suggesting Shoot Shovel and Shut up, isn't that a crime? I don't hear you flaming them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#22]
[

BIG +1 from another dog owner.

This is what animal control is meant for.

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Video TAPE the whole thing.... Call animal control, and pepper spray the animal. If it actual attacks shoot the pooch, just get everything on tape.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#24]
At my old home in a rural area, well not really rural, real busy but in a rural area. 2 dogs one morning chased my GF to her car as she was leaving for work, I heard her scream, jumped off the couch and saw what was happening. she got in her car but barely, I saw the damndogs pawing at her car window. I went to get PT140 40cal and by that time they had gone. I spoke to her and she was okay, she left and I went back inside. those stray dogs did belong to someone in neighborhood but I did not know who......................... A few days later as I were driving onto my street I saw them both barking at a few other dogs incaged in a fence. they ran from my vehicle since it has a loud exhaust, I chased them to the next undeveloped (no housing) street, I pulled out my PT140 and shoot them both a few times apiece and went back home. A week later the dogs were still there, these were dogs not just my family talked about but other neighbors also. Dogs that chase down people or bite them(and they did bite somebody but the damn animal control people were never there at the right time) in a aggressive way in my book will be shot on site, thats if I can do it immediatly. sorry for those who see it as animal cruelty, these were very aggressive and dangerous animals.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
" How is my tip any different than the others who are suggesting Shoot Shovel and Shut up, isn't that a crime? I don't hear you flaming them."

Probably because the 3 S's don't include a slow death by torture, and also don't allow for any other animals to be harmed... I'm no PETA freak by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I would never resort to dispatching an animal in such a cruel, inhumane method as you described....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shooting dogs is animal abuse in my state. That's a FELONY! Get some money ready for bail and set aside several thousand dollars for a lawyer, if you deceide to shoot.
Best to talk to the owners or call animal control and stay on their ass until they do their job!

Good advice.  If you shoot a dog the burden of proof is on you to show they were a threat.  If you just blast this mutt you'll have to face the family and all their witnesses who show up to court with a story about how poor Fluffy was a lovable dog and never hurt anyone.  And you'll be the psycho gun nut neighbor who gets his thrills by killing helpless family pets.  Even if you beat the rap, you're in for several thousand$ in legal fees.  Plus you still might be found guilty of a felony and lose all your guns.

The best thing you can do is get a paper trail going on this dog.  File complaints with the police and animal control every time this dog gets out.  Talk to neighbors into doing the same, and give them a nice list of all the phone numbers and the info they need to make it easier.  This way when you do shoot this dog, you'll have a stack of evidence to show the court/DA that these dogs were a problem and you had no choice.  This is the only thing that will save your ass.

I've got two problem Pits in my neighborhood that are friendly as can be when their owner is standing right there.  But when the dogs get out they bark, growl, bare their teeth, and chase people into their houses.  They deserved to be shot long ago, but I can't afford the legal bills, so I hope they don't kill any kids.  I've been filing complaints with Animal Control to document the situation in case I ever do have to blast these dogs.  Recently one of them went after the mailman and I came to his rescue by distracting the dog so he could make it back to his truck.  Weeks later the mailcarrier still refuses to deliver to that house, and he's filed complaints with USPS.  If I ever do have to shoot these dogs, all that paperwork is going to keep me out of jail.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#27]
If my dogs managed to get out and actually bit somebody, you wouldn't get a chance to shoot them. I would do it immediately. I won't have a dog that bites unprovoked. Ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If my dogs managed to get out and actually bit somebody, you wouldn't get a chance to shoot them. I would do it immediately. I won't have a dog that bites unprovoked. Ever.

We need more responsible thinking dog owners like you. My daughter has feared dogs since she was two because someone not very thoughtful let their dog run around without a leash at a park (posted signs everywhere about dogs needing to be leashed) and said dog ran up to her barking. She cowers every time she sees a dog now.

Your dog may be your "baby" but you must be responsible for it. I myself like dogs and other animals but  dogs that bites or attacks unprovoked will be taken care appropriately of if my loved one's involved.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We need more responsible thinking dog owners like you. My daughter has feared dogs since she was two because someone not very thoughtful let their dog run around without a leash at a park (posted signs everywhere about dogs needing to be leashed). She cowers every time she sees a dog.

Your dog may be your "baby" but you must be responsible for it. I myself like dogs and other animals but  dogs that bites or attacks unprovoked will be taken care appropriately of if my loved one's involved.

I have a large Pit Bull and a small Pit Bull. They love people, but they are dogs, and can do strange things when confronted by strange people in strange circumstances.

I have 6 foot block walls and locked gates. The only time my dogs have ever gotten out was when a 15 foot section of my wall blew down. My neighbor called me at work to let me know the dogs were running around. He opened the tailgate of his truck and they jumped right in.

He said the dogs were more interested in getting into his truck than anything else, but it could have been bad. And then I would have had to shoot my dogs.

Jump that fence though, and your ass belongs to them.

GT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Reminds me of the time when there were three large dobies in the neighborhood lose I'd never seen before.  I called for them and they came running over slobering, but were very freindly and behaved well with little tails wagging.    I could tell some one had spent a lot of time working with them.  Called the number on the tag and the owner was over in 10 minutes.  I hated to see them go.  Should have made the owner reimburse me for the pack of hotdogs they eat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Man, I can't imagine having to shoot my own pets. Hope your pups behave themselves.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
SSS
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Man, I can't imagine having to shoot my own pets. Hope your pups behave themselves.

They're good puppies. They pretend that they don't understand a word coming out of your mouth, but they know what they are and are not supposed to do.

I hope I never have to shoot one of them either, but that's part of the responsibility.

I also make sure that there is no cause for someone to throw a gravy soaked sponge over my wall. If my dogs start barking at night, they get locked in. I don't want to listen to the neighbor's dog barking, and I sure as hell don't want to listen to my own dog barking.

I don't even let them shit in the neighbor's yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top