Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 3:31:27 PM EDT
Little twist on another topic.....So if you went to see SawBones, and his tests and revieled you only had 30 more days......Would you rather he say "Looks good, see you in a few months". or "Mr Jones, we need to talk.".... I think I'd rather not know myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
How could you not know something's seriously wrong with you? It's not like terminal cancer patients feel just great until the moment they keel over.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How could you not know something's seriously wrong with you? It's not like terminal cancer patients feel just great until the moment they keel over.

Fortunately, i would not know. Don't dig too deep....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd want to know. Then i can make arrangements with family and hookers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This happens very frequently.

The shortest time between diagnosis and death for one of my patients was 3 days.  She had an unusual lung tumor that secreted ACTH (hormone).  She had a nice tan in the middle of the winter.  She wasn't feeling well but never would have guessed cancer.  I was an intern and admitted her with chest pain.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd definitely NOT want to know. I want as many of my last days to be happy ones-If I could choose 20 good days and maybe another 15 of declining health or 3 years of treatment I'd take the first. At least that way I have a chance of dying happy. The problem with we as humans knowing about our mortality is that almost invariably, knowing "when" and given the option we choose to fight it, only to die anyway.
I know I'm going to die at some point, I'd rather not know when it's coming.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The shortest time between diagnosis and death for one of my patients was 3 days.  She had an unusual lung tumor that secreted ACTH (hormone).  She had a nice tan in the middle of the winter.  She wasn't feeling well but never would have guessed cancer.  I was an intern and admitted her with chest pain.  

That is very unfortunate.... And goes along with my opinion of, I'd rather just not wake up one morning, than spend days, weeks, months waiting for something to happen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=735096

Little twist on another topic.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]

There's an old saying,  "You better pray that I don't come down with a terminal disease."  that somehow seems appropriate here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea that happened with my Grandmother.  She had a CT scan and then about a week later she was gone.  But she was declining quite fast before the CT scan.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I would want to know, I have some shit I want to get done before I die
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Tough call, I don't know if I would want to know or not. Advantages to both. A couple things I am sure of though.  1. I want it to be quick, 2. I want it to happen before I lose my faculties such as mobility, memories, etc. 3. I am not into the whole suffering scenario.

ETA: spelling change
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I would want to know. That way I could go spend all the money I had and do whatever the hell I wanted to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want them to tell me. My goal would be to live only 29 days and be found in bed with a couple of hookers and some blow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I would want to know.  I would quit work and do things I've always wanted to do.  Not spend them working oblivious to the fact I'm a dead man walking.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I would. Hopefully I could enjoy my last days here instead of just being depressed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I would want to know so I could go piss on the boss's desk then live my last 30 days doing whatever I damned well please.
Of course with my luck, on day 31, the doctor would call and tell me about the chart mixup
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would want to know so I could go piss on the boss's desk then live my last 30 days doing whatever I damned well please.
Of course with my luck, on day 31, the doctor would call and tell me about the chart mixup

there ya go that would be my luck too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd want to know.

I've got a list of things to do and people to see before it's all over. I'd kinda like some sort of advanced warning so I can do as much of it as possible and be able to die satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#22]
absolutely I would want to know.  I could better prepare my family.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd hate to think I'd spend my last 30 days at work when I didn't have to . . .

Hell yes, I'd want to know. There's a lot to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]
It would probably be better for some people if I didn't know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd want to know.

Things to do, and all that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Me too.  Few people I want to visit with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1

It sounds like a pretty sweet deal, you know your going to die soon, your know your death is going to be fast (watched too many family members waste away ) and the best part is, basically the normal consequences of your actions for the next 30 days or so no longer apply Well, actually the best part is getting a fairly easy death but having time to tie up loose ends is nice
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I try to live my life with as few regrets and missed oportununities as possible.  There isn't much important stuff I could do in 30 days that I wouldn't have already done over the course of my life.  Knowing I was gonna die would pretty much ruin my last days.

I'd like to die like my great uncle; he was DRT from an aneurism after his horse won the race.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd want to know so I could get my affairs in order.  I wouldn't to leave my family with a bunch of stuff they wouldn't know how to deal with on top of my death.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes I would want to know so  I couldm spend my last days with my wife on a grand vacation (courtesy of the "pay off in event of death" protection on credit cards)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I would want to know.
I would video tape things I would have needed to tell my kids for when they get older. I would want to make sure all the financial stuff for the family was done and at the end have a  going away party with all my friends.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'd want to know so I could get my affairs in order.  I wouldn't to leave my family with a bunch of stuff they wouldn't know how to deal with on top of my death.

These are things that should be taken care of anyway.  People die every day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I would want to know why my mother turned against me and completely disowned me and my children.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These are things that should be taken care of anyway.  People die every day.

my point is, my family/girlfriend would have no idea what to do with the paperwork, business stuff.  if I had a regular 9-5 job and meant they wouldn't know what insurance company to contact, you'd be right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell yes i want to know, you can spend neeed time with family and friends, get your affairs in order, etc. etc.

There are a few people who need to leave this world before me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By "keel over", I meant, "cough, fall over dead".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd want to know.  I don't want to waste my final days in the office or mowing the lawn.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Little revenge, lots of loving (the horizontal kind), lots of coming to terms with self/spirit/beliefs, making peace with those I've wronged, little of writing my final thoughts down, say good bye and tune out....

Oh yes, and I want a viking funeral.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#41]
how the hell would you not want to know? i would quit work, then do whatever i wanted. spend some money. nail some chicks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a bucket list so I would want to know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew a guy who died while walking.  

He was older, and had some health problems - liver was weak, diabetes, had had a heart attack some time previously...  Walking down a street in Mexicali with his wife, leaned up against a pole or something, said he didn't feel right, then fell over dead.

Just like that.

Wife's uncle was older, actually in pretty decent shape ( or so everyone thought ).  Had gone to bed but couldn't sleep, so he got up and went into the living room to watch some TV.  Died right there in his chair after walking in and sitting down.  

It happens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell Yeah!

But I hope I make it to 2027 when Apophis hit the earth
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#45]
It would be nice and peaceful to go like my grandad and my father did. Both of masive heart failures. No signs no warning just fall over.
I would like to know got some accounts to settle and some preps to do for the family.

The kicker that no one has thought of what if a mis-diagnois is made and you are healthy or will live much much longer.

You go settle a few accounts thinking you will get away with it and then find out your not dealthly il. OPPPPS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#46]
nope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck yeah I would want to know...

A week with family and freinds , 2 weeks travelling seeing everything I always wanted to ,  6 days doing "stuff", and killed in a hail of gunfire on day 7......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd like to know right away, but i'd prefer the doctor be dressed like a ninja when he tells me. It would make the news more exciting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top