Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:09:34 PM EDT
And yes, it's a stupid, improbable scenario, but so are most that are posted here.

So here's the skinny.  You've just completed your newest AR build.  It's nice.  16" M4 type of build.  Maybe it's a LaRue Stealth on a billet POF lower, or a LMT Monolithic on a Colt lower you sold the upper off.  These details are irrelevant, save that it's a quality build.  You've lubed and dry fired it, but it's not been test fired.  Admiring your handiwork you slap a full magazine in it and chamber a round.  It fed the round, no problem.  So you engage the safety and set it back on your stand, or lean it against your desk.  It's in immediate reach.  Now, sitting on your desk or workbench, or in your CCW holster is your favorite 9mm.  Glock 19, High Power, doesn't matter.  You've put a few thousand rounds through this little workhorse and have extreme confidence in it.  You've practiced your draw, you know every micrometer of the trigger pull.

As you sit, contemplating bean vs no bean, your front door is forcibly opened.  Not a knock, not a jiggle, it's kicked in and there are multiple attackers entering your castle.  Maybe it's 2, maybe it's 4, but no more than 4.  You can't really see from your position.  So now you have a choice.  These men aren't selling cookies.  They're looking to make you dead and take your stuff.  

Do you pick up the unproven rifle?  The high quality build you "know" will run, but hasn't been tested?  5.56 at 30 feet is certainly greater than 9mm.  Or do you pick up old trusty and fight like you've trained with it?

Stupid but this is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

I'd use my High Power, btw.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd pick the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If I have the time, rifle-always.

HH
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle... having the uncontrollable circumstance of doing the handgun when the bad-guy had a rifle twice... I strongly suggest that if given a choice... pick "rifle".
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Rifle, and pray to every god man has ever worshipped that it'll work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
rifle if I just get one round out of it that is one guy out of the fight then Ill transition to my pistol.  If the rifle clicks immediate transition to pistol.  The rifle not workinig is a very slim chance and the pay off if does is worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I grab a sock full of oranges I keep hidden under the shitter for just such purposes...its game on mofo's
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer a rifle over a pistol nearly at all times. However, if you can't hit a man with a pistol from 30 feet, you need more range time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
That's really interesting.  You'd pick a rifle that hasn't been sighted in, or even test fired, over the handgun you entrust your life to every day?  Don't get me wrong, I am firmly in the rifle > handgun camp, under normal circumstances.  I've just had too many ARs, STGs, AKs, you name it, not run right out of the box.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
handgun. Stick with what I trust.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I prefer a rifle over a pistol nearly at all times. However, if you can't hit a man with a pistol from 30 feet, you need more range time.

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If I'm forced into a fight with 4 armed men and have a chance to take a rifle, I'd be a dumbass not to take a rifle.

Might be 4.  Might be 2.  You can't tell.  It's >2 and <4.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
In the words of ARFCOM - get both.  I'd probably grab the pistol and fight my way to the rifle if need be.

A round on target on the first perp will probably buy you a few seconds to get both within reach.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Grab the rifle and run it til it quits.

Transition.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Pistol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I would tuck my CCW in my belt and grad the rifle. if it goes tits up then transition to sidearm... It the arfcom answer get both..
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
If I don't think, I'd grab the handgun because that's probably what my habit will be. That's not the best choice, but you asked what I'd do, not what I should do. If a guy kicked in the door I'd be thinking about my family, not what gun to grab. If I'm so used to this handgun and have used it so much, I will naturally take that first out of instinct.

The better choice is the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
With a rifle that hasnt been fired, it hasnt been sighted in,  I'd be a fool to not pick my 1911, a bullet is a bullet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Only four attackers?

I'd take them on with my bare hands to keep it sporting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

In the words of ARFCOM - get both.  I'd probably grab the pistol and fight my way to the rifle if need be.

A round on target on the first perp will probably buy you a few seconds to get both within reach.

Both are within reach.  That's why it's a choice.  An unproven rifle that "should" run and be a force equalizer for you, or a handgun you know will run, and you are very adept at driving.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#22]
i'd pick the known over the unknown.  of course in that situation i have an ak handy that i know shoots
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Handgun
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I would grab my shotgun
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd grab the pistol first.  The rifle is backup and for cleaning up.  Guess I'm a dumbass.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Proven>Unproven

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd invite them to the kitchen for coffee and teach them its impolite to kick in someones door while making lunch for them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's really interesting.  You'd pick a rifle that hasn't been sighted in, or even test fired, over the handgun you entrust your life to every day?  Don't get me wrong, I am firmly in the rifle > handgun camp, under normal circumstances.  I've just had too many ARs, STGs, AKs, you name it, not run right out of the box.  

In my case, I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't put thought into it in a situation like that. If the attackers were spotted outside first, or if my dog was barking beforehand, I'd have time to think and grab the rifle and look around. But if they kick in the door with no warning, I am going to do what's natural for me to do. If I have had this handgun for so long and am so used to its feel, I will subconsciously grab that while my mind is racing ahead at 400 mph.

I would be far better off with a rifle in that scenario, but I do not think I would take it if it is brand new and I am not used to it being there within reach.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd invite them to the kitchen for coffee and teach them its impolite to kick in someones door while making lunch for them.

[Cue Glenn Beck w/pipe] Yes.... this.... or possibly tea.   Something delightful to sip on while I try to sophisticate the lower class for their own good [Elitist Glenn]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny you mention that since it is my predicament tonight.

At close in, I trust my rifle to fire accurately enough to hit a man size target.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I grab a sock full of oranges I keep hidden under the shitter for just such purposes...its game on mofo's

Hmmmm thought I was the only one who did that
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At room distance its going to be on enough to give me toros hits on a bad guy.  Immediate transition if it doesnt work  or stop working.  I have never had a gun not fail to fire out of the box. I had one AR that had problems ejecting.  For me the risk is worth it. Even if I get one round out of the AR chances are that is one guy out of the fight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]
handgun first with rifle slung, fight may only last seconds so I would go withk the one I know will go bang first. If pistol runs dry then shift to rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Funny you mention that since it is my predicament tonight.

At close in, I trust my rifle to fire accurately enough to hit a man size target.

Same here.  Just got my first 20" together.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Stick the handgun in the pants, and use the rifle till it quits.  Transition.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stick the handgun in the pants, and use the rifle till it quits.  Transition.

Yeah, rifle but have the handgun on me. I'd rather have a long gun for SD, but a proven gun would give me much more peace of mind.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Start with the rifle.  If it runs, you'll be in a better position to defend yourself.  If your rifle malfunctions...  well, that's why we practice the transition drill
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
handgun. Stick with what I trust.

In the OPs scenario, the pistol is the logical choice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Get both.  At 30 feet, even not sighted in you're probably going to hit the targets.  And I've put together enough ARs to trust that it would function.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#40]
i've never built an ar im about to build one but im sure ill put somthing on wrong, so...

handgun
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
handgun first with rifle slung, fight may only last seconds so I would go withk the one I know will go bang first. If pistol runs dry then shift to rifle.

This is a first for me....... pistol with a rifle back up..
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#42]
The correct anwser is both. Use the rifle but have the CCW ready to be drawn. If the rifle fails, it won't take you long to get back in the fight. Or handgun first, with rifle slung. Either way, bring both.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#43]
The only time I'd grab a pistol first is if I was in a 6x6' room with no room to extend a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Rifle. Especially since you said I've assembled it. I know good parts, and I've dry fired it multiple times through out the build. It works. If the ammo is good, my rifle will always fire.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I have to think you guys that assume because you bought quality parts and did the assembly yourself, that you've never worked in manufacturing.  Short of 100% inspection, which practically no one does, and those that do still have to deal with human error, there's only probability that your rifle is going to run.  It may be 99%, but it's not a guarantee.  

On the other note, maybe the handgun you put thousands of rounds through is just waiting to break an ejector or something.  

I don't think either answer is wrong, FWIW.  Just wanted to see the different opinions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I have to think you guys that assume because you bought quality parts and did the assembly yourself, that you've never worked in manufacturing.  Short of 100% inspection, which practically no one does, and those that do still have to deal with human error, there's only probability that your rifle is going to run.  It may be 99%, but it's not a guarantee.  

It hand cycled, it fed. The only thing that could go wrong is if they forgot to drill the gas port hole, or the gas key was loose (but I check this), or they forgot to put in gas rings or firing pin (I check this, too). I'd pick rifle. If it was an AK kit build I just finished, I'd pick pistol.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Go with what you know, a potential firefight is no time for a test.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#48]
How about I just grab my .45 instead?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd grab the rifle.

Even If it is a POS and shits on you, you might get a few rounds off and mess up their OODA loop, if it goes T.U., throw it at the assholes to give them something to think about while you grab the trusty pistol.

Now get some sleep.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd get both. Light them up with the AR, any pause/malfunction, don't even think about diagnosing it, just drop the damn thing and grab my Hi Power, resume shooting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top