Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/7/2001 7:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2001 7:24:01 AM EDT by BURN]
Cant they be wrong about LEO's this isnt Leathal Weapon, or Rush Hour This is the real deal. I am in Comanche County I work For the Sheriff's Dept..... lets see Ft. Sill, OK. largest artillery base and Artillery training center in the "WORLD" Lawton, OK plus a bunch of small towns....... total about 200,000 people averge number of deputies on shift 3 1 supervisor 2 deputies averge number of officers in the Jail 3 (houses 200 inmates)we need about 800 more beds and th ejail capacity is 104(its an old jail) they are currently building a new one to house 265) but the old one will shut down we will still need about 735 more beds. plus 1 and only 1 dispatcher. we have to by our own gear. we have to buy our own vests. our own weapon and ammo plus anything else you could imagine that a LEO needs starting pay of... Jail Officer $1000.00 Deputy $1250.00 now support a family make a car and house payment plus bills where in that is there money to get all that High-Speed-Low-Drag stuff? This isnt holiwood this isnt big City USA..This is reality and if we didnt make the sacrifice and work there, who would?......so yes we look for better paying jobs and yes we strive to better ourselves. but somebodys got to do it...and the media always seems to twist the truth. so to people like QuietSHoter and Rabbit thanks for your support. Rant off....and Nomex I dont need no stinkin NOMEX!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:26:44 AM EDT
In the TV series Miami Vice, the years production budget was greater than that of Miami itself.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:31:05 AM EDT
I wanted to ad..im not looking for your sorrow or your pitty for working for such an underbudget department. I started the lowpaying thankless juob with both eyes open...I learned in my first week that you cant pleas eeverybody...so I do my best to go home to my FAMILY at night..Im sorry if that means more to me than it does to you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:33:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:45:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BURN: I wanted to ad..im not looking for your sorrow or your pitty for working for such an underbudget department. I started the lowpaying thankless juob with both eyes open...I learned in my first week that you cant pleas eeverybody...so I do my best to go home to my FAMILY at night..Im sorry if that means more to me than it does to you.
View Quote
You get paid the money,wear the uniform and take your chances. If you going home to your family at night is a bigger concern than the people you should be attempting to help, then I suggest you find another line of work. This is the kind of attitude that has weakend our military and our country as a whole. Whatever happened to service before self, mission first etc. For those military and ex military guys, remember the HumRel in the 60s & 70's,and the TQM of the 90's? This is what you get.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:49:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By warlord: In the TV series Miami Vice, the years production budget was greater than that of Miami itself.
View Quote
And the movie Pearl Harbor spent more money on creating the movie than the Japanese did on the original attack... Back to the original topic though...wasn't there a story recently about some small-town police station that happened along a large drug bust and ended up with a windfall of money?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:00:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rabbit:
Originally Posted By BURN: I wanted to ad..im not looking for your sorrow or your pitty for working for such an underbudget department. I started the lowpaying thankless job with both eyes open...I learned in my first week that you cant please everybody...so I do my best to go home to my FAMILY at night..Im sorry if that means more to me than it does to you.
View Quote
You get paid the money,wear the uniform and take your chances. If you going home to your family at night is a bigger concern than the people you should be attempting to help, then I suggest you find another line of work. This is the kind of attitude that has weakend our military and our country as a whole. Whatever happened to service before self, mission first etc. For those military and ex military guys, remember the HumRel in the 60s & 70's,and the TQM of the 90's? This is what you get.
View Quote
I didnt say it was a bigger concern I was implying that I was SAFE and all ym action are by the Books and Saftey in mind..I do what I need to do...but no matter what I do out there or what I type here your going to have something negative to say about it.... when Im going to a call with out my overheads on Ibet your the kind of guy to say hey look that a$$holes speeding damn cops always doing what they want..but if im going to a call to help you its F*&k what the hell taking them so long...Id never win
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:02:30 AM EDT
"rabbit" is right...
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:03:47 AM EDT
Actually, when I see a cop speeding with no lights, I follow him. Everybody moves for him and I get to work a lot faster. Thanks for the help UHP! And if you don't think you can win, you don't try? My point exactly...
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:06:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rabbit: Actually, when I see a cop speeding with no lights, I follow him. Everybody moves for him and I get to work a lot faster. Thanks for the help UHP! And if you don't think you can win, you don't try? My point exactly...
View Quote
You have no point..my point is I do what I do and Im happy with my choices I DONT NEED TO PLEASE YOU.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:14:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rabbit:
Originally Posted By BURN: I wanted to ad..im not looking for your sorrow or your pitty for working for such an underbudget department. I started the lowpaying thankless juob with both eyes open...I learned in my first week that you cant pleas eeverybody...so I do my best to go home to my FAMILY at night..Im sorry if that means more to me than it does to you.
View Quote
View Quote
Wasn't it Patton that said "no one has ever won a war by dying for his country, you win by making the other dumb son of a bitch die for his country". Or words to that effect. getting killed as a cop does nothing to complete the mission if anything it diverts resources from the person(s) that originally needed help. Getting cops killed or injured hurts YOU the taxpayer. More injured/killed cops means more cops on the payroll that aren't available for duty, more workers comp claims, higher training costs to replace the injured/killed cops, and more money to pay out to the widow(er) and children. Police Officers do get payed to take risks, but the don't get paid to act in a reckless manner.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:15:48 AM EDT
Well, if you're happy, then I'm happy. And when I'm lying on a concrete floor bleeding to death and some idiot with a shotgun is prancing around, I will certainly pray that all the responding officers do their job safely and don't get injured.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:56:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rabbit: Well, if you're happy, then I'm happy. And when I'm lying on a concrete floor bleeding to death and some idiot with a shotgun is prancing around, I will certainly pray that all the responding officers do their job safely and don't get injured.
View Quote
Well, that sure is a reasonable train of thought. [rolleyes] I would never be so arrgoant as to think that my life was more important than the life of a LE. I don't feel that they are obligated to die for me. If he/she is a chicken shiat, that's one thing ,but if the officer is trying to save the day without dying, I can't ask for more. I expect every one, le included, to do their jobs, but I would be a dick to expect 'em to die for me. I'll do my best to take care of myself, but a little help may be needed on some rare occasion.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:14:40 AM EDT
I never said anything about cops dying for me. I never mentioned that my life was worth more than a cops. To put it simply, in the unlikely event that someone shoots a few people where I work, I would hope that an attempt to stop the action and aid the wounded would begin in a timely fashion. The courts say you have no obligation to do this. But maybe, just maybe you could do it out of concern for your fellow man. Or a sense of obligation you get when you wear the uniform. It's sad that an attempt to help others would be considered reckless, and that an "Active Shooter" is now somebody who is walking around gunning people down, not the guy who visits the range weekly and hits all the matches. And as far as you, Oly, I have read your other posts on different threads and agreed on many issues, but why is the cost of a cop more than the cost of Joe Snuffy?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:31:42 AM EDT
There a difference between taking an aceptable risk to try and help another person and getting involved in cowboy antics. The cowboy antics sometimes suceed, but when they fail they fail wildly, sometime hrting the people they were intended to help. No I'm not more valuable than tommy tent peg or mikey mess kit. But I'm not less valuable either. Nor do I want to get involved in antics that might make their situation worse.
Top Top