Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 1:52:45 AM EDT
Say I have a a few hundred acres out of city limits.  And I have an acetylene tank.  And I shoot it with incendiary rounds till fun happens.  

I'm sure it would make the news, but would I get in trouble for that?  What law would I be breaking?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Just say you did it on accident
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, your probably not going to make the news. It's not as powerful as you might expect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, your probably not going to make the news. It's not as powerful as you might expect.
View Quote

But please record it for our amusement anyways.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If anyone shows up, show them your freedom card.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
it'll only make a fireball assuming the  rounds penetrate the cylinder . now if you incinerate that pressure vessel until it fails....

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought it would be big.  What if I coat the whole tank in an inch deep of tannerite first?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Zip lock bags filled with correct air/fuel ratio would probably work with desired results.

Step out side of air/fuel ratio and you are just wasting it.   Such as shooting the tank.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought it would be big.  What if I coat the whole tank in an inch deep of tannerite first?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well hang on.  How big of an acetylene tank are we talking about here?  Because that makes a difference lol.

And also, how much land are we talking about and what proximity are you to others?  I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing when it went off.  I'm talking at least 100 yards...the damn thing could take off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Mix in some oxygen.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will definitely 'splode, it is just a comparatively inefficient explosive.  Kind of like trying to make a bomb out with propane.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

not HE or a cutting charge

tannerite won't break it open. it might break the valve and you'll get  a fire jet.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
You're just going to get a flame jet out of the holes.

No Oxygen in the tank= No ignition.

If you don't get flame, you will have acetylene gas wafting around looking to combust, and MIGHT get a good whoof on a second shot or two.
Nothing dramatic.

Why ruin a good tank?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#14]
It wouldn't be all that great.

There are cheaper and more impressive alternatives.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
i'd throw down on the gas and o2 if you get the envelope

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Just so you know..I have a good friend who is a plant manager for air liquid here..He makes/handles these gases everyday, including pressure testing the bottles..He advises not shooting a pressurized tank...Just so you know the tanks are made from good chromemoly, they are aprox. 3/8" thick and my 300 RUM blows right thru them at 100 yards..
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I like your style, even if it won't blow up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#18]
To do it properly you need an oxygen tank and a .50 with some API

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Some places won't even allow you to collect rain water on your own property...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To do it properly you need an oxygen tank and a .50 with some API

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

My 300 rum with barnes triple shocks blow right thru  at 100 yards..
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Say I have a a few hundred acres out of city limits.  And I have an acetylene tank.  And I shoot it with incendiary rounds till fun happens.  

I'm sure it would make the news, but would I get in trouble for that?  What law would I be breaking?
View Quote

Probably not, and you'll probably be disappointed.

Shooting 20 oz propane cylinders in the area of some lit highway flares was more amusing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Acet and O2 in that will get you the attention you seek OP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just so you know..I have a good friend who is a plant manager for air liquid here..He makes/handles these gases everyday, including pressure testing the bottles..He advises not shooting a pressurized tank...Just so you know the tanks are made from good chromemoly, they are aprox. 3/8" thick and my 300 RUM blows right thru them at 100 yards..
View Quote

Acetylene tanks aren't all that thick.  Acetylene can't be stored at high pressure.  The tanks are more of a wicking fixture, then they are a pressure cylinder.
The tank is filled with material--they're not hollow.  You won't get the expulsion of all material that you are thinking you'll get.  Tank pressure on a fullish cylinder is around a little over 200 psi--not all that much, when compared to true gas cylinders.

If you're going to do this, OP...just stick a lit road flare in the ground behind the tank.  No problem with ignition.

...not that I've ever done this.  Of course, I never have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
What if a trash bag full of acytelene happened to float by when you shot the small propane tank
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're just going to get a flame jet out of the holes.

No Oxygen in the tank= No ignition.

If you don't get flame, you will have acetylene gas wafting around looking to combust, and MIGHT get a good whoof on a second shot or two.
Nothing dramatic.

Why ruin a good tank?
View Quote

The gas is dissolved in acetone and stabilized with diatomaceous earth. Shooting a propane tank would be better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I blew up a few pounds of tannerite in a corn field on a farm, turned around and three cruisers were bouncing through the field...

Good way to make friends!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I blew up a few pounds of tannerite in a corn field on a farm, turned around and three cruisers were bouncing through the field...

Good way to make friends!
View Quote

Yea, with the war on terror at full swing, neighbors reporting each other all the time, all the state and federal agencies at full tilt trying to find the next unibomber, yea to light one off in your back yard will make lots of friends fast!

OP, do it! Get some arfcom decals and place it on the tank in several places. Place a few on your rear truck windows. Add some on your computer so when they take your computer they will have extra proof.

I want arfcom to make the news....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I shot one with a 12 ga buckhammer slug, it shot up about 4 ft and spun with a jet of gas shooting from the 1in hole.
You need to put holes in them if you want to scrap them
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I would be more impressed if you stand on it and knock the top off with a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#30]
There was a thread not too long ago about people accidently blowing their cars to smithereens by leaving leaking acetylene tanks in them. I don't understand how people are saying it wouldn't be impressive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#31]
It's got a butt load of acetone inside it so you will get a flame thrower effect for a brief period. Try turning it upside down about 45 degrees and opening the valve. When enough acetone runs out that it destabilizes the acetylene is should self ignite at 30 psi with no outside influence.

No, on second thought, don't screw with that tank.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I would stand it up in a shallow post hole and shoot the valve off of it at night.  Tape a flare near the top for illumination and ignition.  You should get an awesome fireball.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you'll probably cost the rest of us our ability to have fun with tannerite.

Seriously.  You are looking for legal advice on Arfcom?   Either call your lawyer and ask him, or just do it and have fun sorting out the mess.

Remember, you might be found innocent of all charges, but it could cost you a pretty penny to get there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd be interested to see if fun actually happens. IIRC, there were a series of tests done following the bombing of Marine barracks in Beirut, regarding the use of various tanks of compressed flammable gases to increase brisance and explosive effect. Results were negligible, IIRC.  Not sure this would explode in the literal sense.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
it'll only make a fireball assuming the  rounds penetrate the cylinder . now if you incinerate that pressure vessel until it fails....

View Quote

The safety plug in the bottom of the tank melts first, and the acetone escapes.  It won't explode.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#36]
The tank is full of acetone and a filler.  Acetelyne is unstable by itself, which is what the acetone is for.  The acetone actually absorbs the gas and stabilises it.  The result will be messier then impressive.  The acetelyne tanks are a rather thinwall tank due to its relatively low pressure in comparison to most compressed gases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top