Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2007 3:09:03 AM EDT
which breed would be best as far as good temperament,shedding,hyperness etc...plse post pics of your dogs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:13:19 AM EDT
I have a Border Terrier, not at all yappy, an excellent watchdog, brilliant temperament & very affectionate. My boy lets me know if anyone's sneakin' around. all in all a good hardy breed, very tough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:15:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:15:49 AM EDT
Saint Bernard............
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:17:46 AM EDT

Gotta go with a terrier.

They think they're German Shephards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:31:34 AM EDT

We have Marko the Shitzu watchpuppy here.

His cast is off now and, for a duster dog he is a fine companion inside.

likes to chase a laser dot and tennis ball

I was ou t in the garage one day last spring and put ona jacket and hat because it was colder than it looked. Then went to empty the rain gauge.

Marko was at the window with his hakels raised barking and snarling, untill I turned around.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:56:31 AM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:00:09 AM EDT
skipperke(sp?) they are small herding dogs that will bark if anything disturbs the "force". They are very high energy, so you have to be able to handle that with lots of exercise.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:06:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 4:12:15 AM EDT by madmathew]
What made you decide on a small dog? A big dog is about the same amount of work, although they eat more food. The big plus is that they have the horsepower to actually deter criminals. They don't mind being outside either.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:09:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 4:12:49 AM EDT by Johnny_Reno]

The breed, descended from working terriers, has a lot of energy, tenacity, and aggression towards its prey, which was originally the rabbit and other smaller animals, such as squirrels. This history has endowed the Westie with a bold temperament that leads many to call them "big dogs in a little body." They are always alert and consider themselves guard dogs, although their size prevents them from providing any real intimidation. As with any dog, if seriously irritated or provoked they may respond with a growl, though this is rare. If the tail is down and ears are back, care should be taken in approaching them. They may be eating or chewing a favourite toy. They can be possessive of their belongings, master and food.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_Terrier
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:10:05 AM EDT
We have a Mini-dachshund. She is a short hair, so very little shedding. Cute as hell. Always here's people outside and barks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:16:50 AM EDT
I have a Min-Pin

His name is Franklin (Frank) Bones.

He is small dog but he doesnt know it. He has tried to take on the neighbor sherriffs German Shepard Dog on multiple occasions. For a small dog he doesnt act like one. He wont back away from much of anything - and is a GREAT nightime watchdog

He also doesnt have that yappy bark.

One negative though - he is ultra hyper at times.

But the many positives outweigh that.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:20:17 AM EDT
Yes! The Minpin has Bionic hearing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:21:27 AM EDT
Rat Terrier... or Jack Russell...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:26:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 5:32:15 AM EDT by neophyte]
I have a 15 pound mini Schnauzer who lets me know if anything is amiss.

ETA: no noticeable shedding!!!!!!!!!

Temperament can vary but most are protective, playful and loving.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:26:53 AM EDT
Doxie! Hands down the best "I'll shred your ancles if you come any closer" dogs around.

HOWEVER!, selection must be very careful. Do NOT get a back yard breeder Doxie. Get a standard size, well bred, dog from good stock.

My last doxie thought he was a Rottie/Yellow Lab. He'd go fishing and duck hunting with me and would not hesitate to take on ANY dog in his yard.

God I miss that animal sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:42:51 AM EDT
These two Jacks don't like anything in the yard 24/7 as evidenced in the picture.

Just last night they were barking like crazy. Deer were approaching to rob the bird feeders. They chased them out of the yard and stopped. They bark when people come to the house and don't stop till we tell them it's ok.

As far a shedding goes, yeah the shed some, but not like our lab that we had. Over all Jacks aren't bad dogs. Just a FYI, the black and white one is 14 years old and still thinks he's a young Great Dane!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:43:35 AM EDT
Where are you in Texas. I've got pups for give away now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRegulator:
haha - They do dont they. COmeing home late at night all I have to do is insert my key into the door and BOOM - I got this little doberman lookalike ROARING down on me like I killed his mother.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:54:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 5:55:28 AM EDT by BillSouthCarolina]
+1 Schipperke, it is what they were bread to do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:12:08 AM EDT by Possum-Sandwich]
Affenpinscher:

Temperament
The Affenpinscher has a terrier-like personality. Unlike most terriers, they tend to get along with other dogs and pets especially when they are raised with them. They are busy, bold, inquisitive and stubborn, but they also love to monkey around, being playful and mischievous. A lively sharp-witted, little dog that is courageous and confident. A fearless defender, the Affenpinscher is an authoritarian. It is very affectionate and amusing. This friendly little dog enjoys being with its family.

The Affenpinscher is generally quiet but can become vehemently excited when threatened or attacked and is fearless toward any aggressor. It may unwisely challenge large dogs and other large animals. They tend to bark and even climb.

My dog:

Internet pictures:

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:09:23 AM EDT
Min Pin +1, best dog ever!

Danny
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:14:08 AM EDT
I have a Chug. 1/2 Chihuahua 1/2 Pug. Bad ass little sob.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:17:46 AM EDT
I've always said that Yorkshire terriers are one of the only midget hounds I'd ever entertain having. I'm more of a retreiver or Aussie sheepdog guy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:18:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:20:49 AM EDT
Yorkie.

I haven't seen a Yorkie that doesn't go ballistic everything there's a knock on the door. I had to walk into a neighbor's house yelling for my kids (everyone was upstairs) the other day and their mini pinscher didn't know I was there until they did.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:29:06 AM EDT by todd4417]

Originally Posted By postpostban:
We have a Mini-dachshund. She is a short hair, so very little shedding. Cute as hell. Always here's people outside and barks.

+1 but we got two of them. They are the toughest little dogs I've ever seen (big dog trapped in a little dog's body) they where breed to chase Badger's out of there holes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:23:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:29:15 AM EDT by Noname]
Another vote for a Min Pin or Rat Terrier.

JRT's can be a real problem for the inexperienced or "casual" dog owner...

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:25:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By postpostban:

+1 for the mini-weiner dogs!

My parents have one, great little dogs.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:27:58 AM EDT
Here's our trio of yappers. ShihTzus, the one in the middle might be a mix, we're not sure.
Tzus don't shed much, but their coats will get matted if you don't keep them trimmed or brushed.
They bark anytime they hear something that might be someone coming in. Doorbell, knock on door, garage door opening.
Personality wise, they are all different. To generalize, very friendly with members of the household, suspicious of anyone else. Can get cranky sometimes, probably not good around small kids.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:30:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JimTh:
Here's our trio of yappers. ShihTzus, the one in the middle might be a mix, we're not sure.
Tzus don't shed much, but their coats will get matted if you don't keep them trimmed or brushed.
They bark anytime they hear something that might be someone coming in. Doorbell, knock on door, garage door opening.
Personality wise, they are all different. To generalize, very friendly with members of the household, suspicious of anyone else. Can get cranky sometimes, probably not good around small kids.

home.insightbb.com/~jim-vicky/tzus.jpg

Ha Ha...They look like Ewoks...cute!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:33:27 AM EDT by G-lock]

Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Yorkie.

I haven't seen a Yorkie that doesn't go ballistic everything there's a knock on the door. I had to walk into a neighbor's house yelling for my kids (everyone was upstairs) the other day and their mini pinscher didn't know I was there until they did.

Second vote for the Yorkie, much like most terriers they don't know they are small, fantastic watch dogs and they don't shed. Jeff
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:33:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By madmathew:
What made you decide on a small dog? A big dog is about the same amount of work, although they eat more food. The big plus is that they have the horsepower to actually deter criminals. They don't mind being outside either.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/madmathew/IMG_1955Medium.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/madmathew/IMG_1948Medium.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/madmathew/IMG_1931Medium.jpg

Don't underestimate the devotion and aggression of a smaller dog. The wife and I have a 24lb. cockapoo that "thinks" she is a dog 5 times her size. If I want to get some "pie" action, I have to lock the dog in a different room. She goes apeshit if she sees me "touch" her momma! I can't even hug or kiss my woman in front of the dog without getting attacked.

She is very protective of my wife and I have no doubt she would give her life trying to protect my wife. She sleeps with us every night and goes on the road with us everywhere. I drive a truck, so I am out the door every morning by 2 a.m. and I know that dog stands guard the second I close the door.

She would "attack" the intruder while giving my wife time to aquire the necessary gun/guns to ward off an attack. Also, small dogs eat less and SHIT LESS! Just my .02.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:40:32 AM EDT by sel366]

Originally Posted By dropbass:
I have a Min-Pin

His name is Franklin (Frank) Bones.

He is small dog but he doesnt know it. He has tried to take on the neighbor sherriffs German Shepard Dog on multiple occasions. For a small dog he doesnt act like one. He wont back away from much of anything - and is a GREAT nightime watchdog

He also doesnt have that yappy bark.

One negative though - he is ultra hyper at times.

But the many positives outweigh that.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/dropbass/franky_posing_outside3.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/dropbass/frank_lazyboy.jpg

The little fella has quite the "package" showing in those pics, should make the dad proud.

OOPS! I did this wrong.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:37:48 AM EDT
We have the yappiest, most irritating Rat Terrier ever spawned. If you catch me on the right day, I may even box it up, and send it UPS to your door.

Seriously though, he is very vocal, and very observant to what is going on, but sometimes he is a little short tempered with kids, especially very young ones that like to chase him (2-4 year olds). Not sure if they are all like that or not. Some days, the yaps get annoying, and he is a bit hyper, but overall temperment, and lack of shedding are nice features he has. I don't think have any digital pictures around of him, I may have to scan one and post it later.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:45:46 AM EDT
what type of dog do you want?
Chesapeake Bay Retriver
German shorthaired pointer
German Wirehaired Pointer
Weimaraner
Dachshund
Belgian Sheapdog
Belgian tervuren
Bouvier Des Flanres
Boxer
Briard
bullmastiff
­collie
Doberman Pincher
German Shepherd
Great Dane
Great Pyreness
Kuvasz
Newfoundland
Rottwei­ler
Saint Bernard
Standard Schnauzer
Airedale
Bull Terrier
Kerry Blue
Staffordshine Terrier
Chow Chow - Great dog but is a One owner type dog
Dalmatian

Small Toy Breads are good just for Alarm Dogs and not much else Wont have the muscle power to stop an intruder and protect its home if need be.

If you want a true guard dog find someone who breeds dogs for the purpose you have a much higher chance to get a natural guard dog this way. A good Guard dog take alot of training especially if you want him to be a man stopper, you need complete control over the dog.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:55:08 AM EDT by GOBLIN1]

Originally Posted By MaddMan:
what type of dog do you want?
Chesapeake Bay Retriver
German shorthaired pointer
German Wirehaired Pointer
Weimaraner
Dachshund
Belgian Sheapdog
Belgian tervuren
Bouvier Des Flanres
Boxer
Briard
bullmastiff
­collie
Doberman Pincher
German Shepherd
Great Dane
Great Pyreness
Kuvasz
Newfoundland
Rottwei­ler
Saint Bernard
Standard Schnauzer
Airedale
Bull Terrier
Kerry Blue
Staffordshine Terrier
Chow Chow - Great dog but is a One owner type dog
Dalmatian

Small Toy Breads are good just for Alarm Dogs and not much else Wont have the muscle power to stop an intruder and protect its home if need be.

If you want a true guard dog find someone who breeds dogs for the purpose you have a much higher chance to get a natural guard dog this way. A good Guard dog take alot of training especially if you want him to be a man stopper, you need complete control over the dog.

Alarm dog will be enough.....45 cal. thumper will handle the heavy work!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:52:53 AM EDT
In laws have a Sheltie (looks like a minature Collie).

Damn dog is smart as all hell, can do tricks, barks and fetches the owners anytime somebody rolls up the driveway or if someone is hunting anywhere near the property.

But, all it can do is alert you. Can't really defend you whatsoever. Plus its kinda ghey to have a little dog like that.....jk to each his own fools
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:54:26 AM EDT
Mini Pincher

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:24 AM EDT

haha - They do dont they. COmeing home late at night all I have to do is insert my key into the door and BOOM - I got this little doberman lookalike ROARING down on me like I killed his mother.

Not to mention, they're really affecionate to their owners and hate being away from you.

They do like to sleep under the covers and may need a dog coat if you're in a really cold area.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:06:12 AM EDT
Grandpa lived his jack russel terriers.

I like Corgi dogs. If I were to get a small one, Id look at that - then again - i dont know how yappy they are -but they are cute!

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:20:31 AM EDT
JRT's,a Pit Bull and a 3 yo,wrapped up in a small dog,more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:21:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 7:23:18 AM EDT by TxAggieA-Batt]
Our dog is a red heeler mix. She's about 5 years old now, and she is the best watchdog I've ever seen. She growls everytime our neighbors across the street get in their cars.
She is incredibly smart, a little too smart for her own good. She needs alot of exercise though. You can tell she was born to be a herding dog.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:30:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 7:39:05 AM EDT by fxntime]
Sometimes large dogs are easier then smaller breeds to care for. Most of the large breeds are more then content to chill lying about most of the day whereas smaller hyper breeds have to bounce from wall to wall. Something like a Bull Mastiff spends about 22 hours a day sleeping or lying around and very few people with half a brain are going to see if they are friendly or not.

I have just a lab mix and a husky/shepherd mix right now. Gratuitous pic. Both shed.

If you try to steal this couch, they will eat you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:39:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TxAggieA-Batt:
Our dog is a red heeler mix. She's about 5 years old now, and she is the best watchdog I've ever seen. She growls everytime our neighbors across the street get in their cars.
She is incredibly smart, a little too smart for her own good. She needs alot of exercise though. You can tell she was born to be a herding dog.

thumb9.webshots.net/t/24/565/0/42/70/2415042700063330989tLWJxY_th.jpg

Blue Heelers are great natural guard dogs Mine just passed on a month and a half ago, will miss that dog. But it is a dog that sheds year round it seemed. Had tons of energy, it was great when ever little guest came around she would use her body to block the hallway to they could not get down. She know they did not belong their.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:40:14 AM EDT
If you want a small dog, go with an actual working breed:

Cairn Terrier

My dad was almost deaf, and kept a Cairn for just your purpose - an alarm/doorbell. Great dog. Intelligent, trainable & dedicated.

Lem
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:47:13 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:08:09 AM EDT
Jack Russel.

Best $50 my wife ever spent (pound)

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:05:51 AM EDT
Pembroke Welsh Corgi

* Very Intelligent
* Great WATCH Dogs
* Males max out at about 35-40lbs
* Loyal
* Very Intelligent (Have to reiterate this)
* Very Easy to Train
* Obedient

- They do shed, but if you brush them at least once a week, it will cut down.
- They will chew anything when they are puppies. I had a Timberland boot chewed to pieces
- Being very smart can work against you at times.
- Never let them get fat, as it will cause back problems due to their body construction.

A Corgi is still considered a "Medium" sized dog, but they are one of the smallest medium breeds. Our Corgi has been a great dog, and it won't be too much of a problem with your time as long as you spend your free time with the Corgi. Just be sure to get one from a reputable breeder.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:02:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKTackDriver:

Not to mention, they're really affecionate to their owners and hate being away from you.

They do like to sleep under the covers and may need a dog coat if you're in a really cold area.
yeah, be forewarned. I picked mine up in South FLorida and we drove home. He was a pup. The dog will not stop following me everywhere I go. I mean he just follows. The do have character unlike any other breed I have owned.

If you ever read about min pins you will find they are highly intelligent.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:06:57 PM EDT
most dog breeds are highly intelligent........Hounds are the exception to the rule.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top