Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 6:57:08 PM EDT
does it make a sound? [:D]

If I sell a rifle do I have to get a copy of a signed FFL before shipping it? What carrier must I use to ship? Would it be easier to have my FFL ship for me and if so does he need an inked signed copy of the other guys FFL?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You can ship with any common carrier, Fed-Ex, UPS etc.

If you have your dealer ship the rifle, he WILL need a signed copy of the receiving dealers FFL.

If you ship yourself I believe all you need to know is that you ARE shipping to a FFL holder, that is, his word is good enough...you don't need a copy of his license.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not so sure about that, I have only "bought" 1 rifle from out of state. I was required to send a signed FFL licnese to the seller before he would ship.

He's a guy who regularly sells in EE, I think he knows what he is doing. My FFL didn't bat an eye whne asked to provide an FFL. So I think it is required, there may also be state laws that you have to comply with.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  If you are shipping it interstate you will need a copy of the receiving FFL.

Serbs' heavy weapons pound Sarajevo (Jan. 5–6). Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan attacked (Jan. 6); three arrested in attack (Jan. 13). Major earthquake jolts Los Angeles; 51 dead (Jan. 17 et seq.). Clinton ends trade embargo on Vietnam (Feb. 9). Aldrich Ames, high C.I.A. official, charged with spying for Soviets (Feb. 22). Four convicted in World Trade Center bombing (March 4). Mexican presidential candidate assassinated (March 23). Rwandan genocide of Tutsis by Hutus begins; estimated 800,000 slaughtered in c. 100 days (April 6). South Africa holds first interracial national election (April 29); Nelson Mandela elected president. Israel and Palestinians sign accord (May 4). Clinton accused of sexual harassment while governor of Arkansas (May 6). Congress votes protection for women's health clinics (May 12). O. J. Simpson arrested in killings of wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and friend, Ronald Goldman (June 18). Supreme Court approves limit on abortion protests (June 30). Senate confirms Stephen G. Breyer for Supreme Court (July 29). Women's health clinic doctor shot dead outside Florida clinic (July 29). Major league baseball players strike (Aug. 13). “Carlos the Jackal,” international terrorist, captured (Aug. 15). IRA declares cease-fire in Northern Ireland (Aug. 31). Small plane crashes into White House (Sept. 12). Baseball owners end season and cancel World Series (Sept. 14). Powerful earthquake strikes Japan (Oct. 4). Aristide returns to joyous Haiti (Oct. 4). U.S. sends forces to Persian Gulf (Oct. 7). Ulster Protestants declare cease-fire (Oct. 13). Israel and Jordan sign peace treaty (Oct. 17). Reagan, 83, reveals he has Alzheimer's disease (Nov. 6). G.O.P. wins control of House and Senate (Nov. 8). Aristide forms Haitian government with prime minister and full cabinet (Nov. 9). Clinton orders Bosnian arms embargo ended (Nov. 10). Newt Gingrich named House Speaker (Dec. 5). Bentsen resigns as Treasury Secretary (Dec. 6). Russians attack secessionist Republic of Chechnya (Dec. 11 et seq.). John Salvi kills two at Massachusetts Planned Parenthood clinic (Dec. 30).
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I read the FAQ at the ATF's site and it says that I can ship via USPS to a licensee in another state. I'll ask for a faxed copy of FFL just to be safe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Legally, all that is required is that you know with some certainty you are shipping to an actual dealer, but unless you've dealt with the shop personally, a signed copy of the FFL is usually de rigeur.
The best bet for shipping is the post office. Ship it priority mail, insured and delivery confirmation.  DO NOT tell them what it is...it is NOT required by law or by postal regulation that you tell them what you're shipping even if they ask, and there is no place on the insurance form to ask it.  I've seen the letter of the law on this and had it confirmed via the horse's mouth.
It is perfectly legal to ship a long gun through the mail (and you do NOT have to fill out any special forms to do so) but you are likely to find some mail clerk who doesn't know the law and go through some hassle if you let them know what it is....and you run the risk of someone stealing it if you let them know it is a gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read the FAQ at the ATF's site and it says that I can ship via USPS to a licensee in another state. I'll ask for a faxed copy of FFL just to be safe.
View Quote

Just so you know, a faxed copy is not a "legal" copy.  In order to be legal it is a copy of the original, with a signature applied to the copy, in a different colored ink.  I would insist on this, for my protection.  You are the only one who has anything to lose, so CYA.

If the firearm is [i]ever[/i] used in a crime and traced to you, you will be very glad you can prove who you shipped it to.  Write the date shipped on the license copy, along with a description of the firearm, including the serial number.  I would also attach the receipt from the shipping co.  You can't have too much documentation, and keep it forever, as firearms last that long.  
View Quote

The above advice is correct down to the ink.
Copiers are so good now that I ask for the FFL to be signed in any color ink besides black.

The buyer has to send you the money so have him get an FFL and put it in the same package.

Me, not necessarily you, no FFL and funds - no gun.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://204.254.113.252/[/url]

I, as a private seller don't insist on a signed copy of an FFL.  I ask for specific verification that the dealer is for real, however.  I generally get either the FFL sent to me (I don't insist) or the first 3 and last 5 digits of the FFL # and verify it on the ATF website.  I then put my shipping documents with the printoff of the website info and keep that as proof (I usually write the model and Serial # on one or the other of the documents, also).  As near as I can tell, the ATF can require FFL holders to get a signed copy before they ship as part of the license requirements, but individuals (non-licensee's in the ATF vocabulary) aren't held to the same standards.  You don't go requesting a copy of Bushmaster's FFL (manufacturers) license before you ship your rifle off for repair, do you?

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top