Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 8:40:52 PM EDT
My wife and I just bought a house from an Indian couple. They left behind this beautiful decorated elephant door knocker on the front door. My wife is worried that keeping it is cultural appropriation since neither of us are sure about exactly what it means in Indian culture. I think she might be right, but the former residents did leave it for us instead of taking it with them (they weren't required as part of the purchase to leave it on the door).
So, the two of us could use some help unraveling whether or not we're appropriating culture or if there's a respectful way to keep or not keep the door knocker. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Literally everything in existence can be provenanced to another culture if you try hard enough.  Stop falling for the narrative.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
OP must be a millenial.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP must be a millenial.
View Quote
Or a Democrat?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Elephants = Good.

Keep it.

Post a damn picture of the knockers.

And of the elephant.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
They left it on purpose. They want you to turn Indian.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife and I just bought a house from an Indian couple. They left behind this beautiful decorated elephant door knocker on the front door. My wife is worried that keeping it is cultural appropriation since neither of us are sure about exactly what it means in Indian culture. I think she might be right, but the former residents did leave it for us instead of taking it with them (they weren't required as part of the purchase to leave it on the door).
So, the two of us could use some help unraveling whether or not we're appropriating culture or if there's a respectful way to keep or not keep the door knocker. Thanks for the help!
View Quote
If they left a ceramic bowl in the shape of a sombrero to hold nachos and salsa, keep it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elephants = Good.

Keep it.

Post a damn picture of the knockers.

And of the elephant.
View Quote
Pics of wife's knockers?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The previous owner of my house left me a statue of the Virgin Mary, down in the basement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You're in FL OP.

Make friends with your new neighbors by hoisting the confederate flag.

Someone will be along shortly to become offended and tear down both the flag and door knocker for you.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If it was there at closing, they made it part of the sale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cultural appropriation, as viewed from a liberal standpoint is when you take advantage of another culture for your benefit.
If a white person starts up a food truck business selling hamburgers and hot dogs, no big deal. If they sell burritos and tacos, that would be cultural appropriation.
if you keep the door knocker, no big deal. If you and your wife start wearing traditional Indian garb, move to Portland, OR and start selling curry from a food truck called Elephant Knockers and business is booming, you will be marked as someone who is guilty of cultural appropriation. But, if you identify as Indian, then you're in the free and clear. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics of wife's forehead?

Need to check for a dot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
That's it, I'm getting my belt
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW, why no pics of door knocker, wife, wife's knockers?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#16]
GTFO with that shit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top