Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:05 AM EDT
Would I be violating the law, because the vertical grip could be fitted on the pistol?

I want to get a vertical grip for my rifle but I am getting a pistol with an accesory rail.
Is there a legal problem with that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Would I be violating the law, because the vertical grip could be fitted on the pistol?

I want to get a vertical grip for my rifle but I am getting a pistol with an accesory rail.

I believe if you put a vertical grip on the front of it you might be running afoul of SBR requirements. Others with more expertise can correct me if I am wrong...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
only if you add a stock, right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I think you're violating AOW (Any Other Weapon) restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Don't think about it.  And Whatever you do, DON'T post about it.

ed:  AOW
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't think he's refering to putting the foregrip on the pistol. I believe his concern is with "constructive possession".
You would have a vertical grip designated for your rifle, but because your pistol would have an accessory rail, the grip could be placed on it. This should not be a problem, due to past case law. You have a legal grip, and a legal place to put it (rifle).
I just would not store the grip next to the pistol.  

Same situation with owning a M-16, a spare shorty upper, and a COMPLETE semi AR. The shorty COULD fit the semi (= SBR), but you have a legal place to put it (M-16). I just wouldn't store the shorty next to the AR, but that's just me.  

My opinion. I could be mistaken. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on ARFCOM.

HKO
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe that since you have a legal reason to have it, and if you kept the foregrip on your rifle you would be ok.  It's not likeyou only own the pistol and a foregrip, but they weren't attached to eachother.  Then again, BATFe has made some idiotic and just plain "out there" judgements before.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think he's refering to putting the foregrip on the pistol. I believe his concern is with "constructive possession".
You would have a vertical grip designated for your rifle, but because your pistol would have an accessory rail, the grip could be placed on it. This should not be a problem, due to past case law. You have a legal grip, and a legal place to put it (rifle).
I just would not store the grip next to the pistol.  

HKO

Now I understand his question.
My Glock has a rail and I have several foregrips laying about.
I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#8]
These discussions show how mucked up the BATF regs are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Indeed.

The ATF is an example where the delegation of rule making authority to an agency has been handled poorly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You think that's bad.
Here's one for ya.

I own a HK SP89, a semi-auto pistol. I also own a registered HK auto sear.
I can install the sear into the pistol (SP89). It will now fall under machine gun rules, and I can add a stock, and a vertical foregrip. BUT.......when I assemble/disassemble this combination of parts, I HAVE TO do it in a specific manner.
Prime example. When I disassemble the gun, I MUST REMOVE THE VERTICAL FOREGRIP FIRST! If I don't, and I remove the stock, and trigger housing with sear first, I just "manufactured" a non-registered Short Barrel Rifle.

HUH???

I now hold a partially disassembled pistol (reverts back legally to SP89), with a vertical foregrip attached.

FELONY.

Have a nice day.

Brought to you by the same folks who state that a hole is a machinegun.
Brought to you by the same folks who state that a piece of string is a machinegun.

Makes your head wanna explode.  

HKO

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My original question was about putting the grip on my rifle without breaking a "law" by also owning a pistol with a rail.

thanks for the comments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top