Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/8/2002 1:49:44 PM EST
I bought a preban receiver from a guy on this site. I sent him my dealers signed FFL license and today it came to my dealer. Now my dealer told me that he must have a signed FFL license from the senders dealer. Does anyone hear know for sure how the law according to the BATF is stated? Is this the only thing I need from the sender? I don't want the BATF coming to my door and giving me a huge hassle because things weren't done proper.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:24:21 PM EST
Eagle3, Just for info, if it's a stripped or complete lower receiver only, and it's not a named assault weapon, then the BATF considers it to be a "postban" receiver. See the following: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=92360[/url] As for the signed FFL copy, if your dealer wants one from the other dealer, call and request one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:13:59 PM EST
but no, it's not a legal requirement that your dealer get a signed copy from the sending dealer - only the sending dealer MUST have a signed copy. Distributors like brownell's or davidsons or federal arms don't send their FFL buyers a signed copy of their own FFLs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:30:03 AM EST
Dave G., I think he meant to say that he purchased a complete preban AR15 and then sold the upper back to the owner since he had his own complete upper for the AR15.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:35:30 AM EST
My browser doesn't support reading between the lines...[;)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:03:41 AM EST
USNJoe, "I think he meant to say that he purchased a complete preban AR15 and then sold the upper back to the lowner since he had his own complete upper for the AR15." No , if you go back and read what I posted you will see I bought a receiver. I said nothing about buying a whole weapon. Now to the point. I am not able still to get the receiver form my dealer because he wants a divers license and signed FFL license from the guy who I bought it from. It appears that the guy does not want to sdend a copy of his drivers license and does not want to go to his dealer and get a copy of his FFL license I guess on principal. The problem is that I am really stuck. My dealer wants to cover his butt even though I guess legally he does not have to have these things. 911 really changed things. Am trying to work with another FFL dealer who seems likely he will transfer it to me if the first dealer releases the receiver to him.. He told me that he can see there point that all they are trying to do is be real careful in light of the BATF's reputation. Will keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:17:11 AM EST
Eagle3, you missed the point USNJoe was trying to make. There is no such thing as a preban receiver. The only "real" way to obtain a preban receiver is to buy a preban rifle. If you did buy a receiver that was made prior to the 94 ban and built it up with preban features, I do not know how they would ever know it was bought as a receiver only. The BATF considers all unbuilt receivers postban unless all the required parts to build the rifle are possessed with the receiver. The exception to this is registered machine guns. This is a BATF ruling and is subject to change and challenge (if you have lots of money to throw away in Court).
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:27:35 AM EST
macloud, & others...... there is an exception to this "rule"....... there are STILL some Essential Arms PRE-BAN lowers hanging around......
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:42:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:27:08 PM EST
Eagle3, The BATF's law on privet party interstate transfers is that the firearm must go to an FFL holder in the purchasers state of residence. There is no requirement that it must be sent "FFL to FFL". I have a letter from the BATF stashed in a file some where on this subject. tell your dealer to brush up on his regs
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:53:45 PM EST
So... what if you bought a complete lower receiver, with a pistol grip and collapsing stock attached? Since we have a receiver, capable of accepting detachable magazines.... and having both a pistol grip and collapsible stock attached... this would retain it's preban status since it transfered in this condition, correct? Solution... dont buy a stripped preban lower unless the guy is willing to throw in the box a pistol grip and flash hider (two cheapest parts I could think of) Am I thinking correctly?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:48:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2002 9:41:45 PM EST by budam]
Originally Posted By Eagle3: Now my dealer told me that he must have a signed FFL license from the senders dealer. Does anyone hear know for sure how the law according to the BATF is stated?
View Quote
Your dealer is confused. The law requires that the sending dealer must have a copy of the signed in ink FFL. Providing your dealer does any business with other FFL's, why does he not require an FFL from distributers that he orders guns from? Your dealer wanting a drivers license makes me wonder if your dealer has read the regs... Sounds like a newbie or someone just plain confused. mark
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:32:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 9:45:55 PM EST
The dealer can *choose* to require whatever he wants (beyond what is required by law). Even though there's no legal obligation for the receiving FFL to receive from an FFL, or to get a driver's license from the sender, he can choose to require them anyway.
View Quote
...unless he is saying (as implied) that it is required [by law]. If the dealer says he requires it, not the law, then it is his right. If he says the law requires and state/local law does not, then he is breaking the law by saying it is required. mark
Top Top