Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2002 2:14:48 PM EDT
[url]www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20020828/UDEFEN/national/national/national_temp/5/5/22/[/url]

Canada, U.S. near troop deal

Soldiers would be able to cross border
if terrorists struck, McCallum says

OTTAWA -- Washington and Ottawa are close to a deal allowing U.S. soldiers to cross the border and operate on Canadian soil in the event of a terrorist attack.

[b]The proposal, revealed by Defence Minister John McCallum yesterday, would likewise let Canadian troops take part in antiterror operations south of the border.[/b]

The plan, which is in the final stages of negotiation, would for the first time allow U.S. and Canadians ground troops to serve under the other forces' command in North America -- but only under strict guidelines on a case-by-case basis.

There has been widespread speculation over the possible integration of some Canadian troops under U.S. command to protect the North American perimeter. But this plan, Mr. McCallum said, contains essential elements to protect Canada's sovereignty.

[b]"What we are proposing is a planning group that would set up protocols whereby we could have, conceivably, U.S. troops moving across the border or Canadian troops moving across their border[/b], but only on a case-by-case basis with the approval of each government," he said.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
aaaaaahh....continentization first!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Thought this was already being done under the 'HOT POSSE' Rule ??
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A young Al Gore demonstrates the same inquisitive mind that led to his invention of the Internet.

"[red]Gee, how does this thing work again[/red]?"

[img]http://www.conservative.org/al_in_nam_s.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A young Al Gore demonstrates the same inquisitive mind that led to his invention of the Internet.

"[red]Gee, how does this thing work again[/red]?"

[url]http://www.conservative.org/al_in_nam_s.jpg[/url]
View Quote

How many soldiers do you know in Vietnam who went around in the bush with an unloaded M16?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
No, [b]Imbroglio[/b], my first reaction would be - 'Crap! Gore must be having a nervous breakdown or something, he thinks he's the friggin' President!'

It wouldn't be the first time that allies have entered each others' territories!

Then again, maybe you're right. I think that President Bush is a very fine and honest man, whereas I think Gore is a pompous, dishonest, misguided Asshole.

So, I prolly would be screaming at whatever that pompous, dishonest, misguided Asshole was doing at any time of the day.

Eric The(Honest)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You were worried about Al?  GW's bending you over and his federal government gets bigger and more intrusive than even I could have imagined.  In 2004 you need to remember Al Gore for freedom (well, most of 'em anyway).

Bill C. [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be the first time that allies have entered each others' territories!

Then again, maybe you're right. I think that President Bush is a very fine and honest man, whereas I think Gore is a pompous, dishonest, misguided Asshole.

So, I prolly would be screaming at whatever that pompous, dishonest, misguided Asshole was doing at any time of the day.

Eric The(Honest)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Yep.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to guess that this would be the Bush administrations way of getting around the posse cometatis act, or what ever it is called, that was passed that does not allow the united states military to patrol the streets of the united states. I had heard that President Bush was trying to find away to get rid of the treaty so that armed Military personel could patrol the boarders. Lots of people screamed about it for legitimate reasons. Bush is trying to find ways to protect our country, unfortunetly some of the ways he is doing it can been seen as unconstitutional, but then again  the constitutionality of laws in our country seem to not matter to those in positions of power anyway Even if the Supreme court rules a law is unconstitutional, the law still remains on the books to be enforced.

I wish we would get real and deal with this threat of terrorism more seriously and more precise, but the powers that be still think Islam is a "Peaceful" Religion.[puke]
If you believe Islam is a peaceful religion, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona that is for sale![roll eyes]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am going to guess that this would be the Bush administrations way of getting around the posse cometatis act, or what ever it is called, that was passed that does not allow the united states military to patrol the streets of the united states. I had heard that President Bush was trying to find away to get rid of the treaty so that armed Military personel could patrol the boarders. Lots of people screamed about it for legitimate reasons. Bush is trying to find ways to protect our country, unfortunetly some of the ways he is doing it can been seen as unconstitutional, but then again  the constitutionality of laws in our country seem to not matter to those in positions of power anyway Even if the Supreme court rules a law is unconstitutional, the law still remains on the books to be enforced.

I wish we would get real and deal with this threat of terrorism more seriously and more precise, but the powers that be still think Islam is a "Peaceful" Religion.[puke]
If you believe Islam is a peaceful religion, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona that is for sale![roll eyes]
View Quote
That act your taking about was done away with by Pres. Lincoln and will be pitched by any other bone head Pres. that wants to do it with cause. It is just a rule on paper, bottom line is they will do what they want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys are missing the important part.

Quoted:
[url]www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20020828/UDEFEN/national/national/national_temp/5/5/22/[/url]

Canada, U.S. near troop deal

Soldiers would be able to cross border
if terrorists struck, McCallum says

OTTAWA -- [b]Washington and Ottawa are close to a deal allowing U.S. soldiers to cross the border and operate on Canadian soil in the event of a terrorist attack.[/b]

[
View Quote

[b][i]CANADA WILL BE OURS![/i][/b]

Buwhahaha.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't it already ours?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Isn't it already ours?
View Quote

We haven't decided if we really want it. Eh.

After all, it's got Quebec. Y'know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top