Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/9/2002 1:09:59 PM EST
We'd be hearing the media going into cardiac arrest with glee... [url]http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020809-27574440.htm[/url] BTW, why is there no "New Topic" button on the general board itself, rather than inside the topics?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:19:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By USNA91: BTW, why is there no "New Topic" button on the general board itself, rather than inside the topics?
View Quote
I dunno. Maybe the software needs to know where (in which forum) to put the new topic?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:17:23 PM EST
He didn't win so big (despite more of her old district comprising the new one) because of the gun issue. I know because the media tells me so.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:33:15 PM EST
Yeah, the media told me the same thing. Seems it was really "Organized Labor" that did it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:07:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By shooter69: He didn't win so big (despite more of her old district comprising the new one) because of the gun issue. I know because the media tells me so.
View Quote
Not to mention that he is also a Democrat and the gun issue is a touchy subject. I am glad to see a pro-gun democrat get his parties nomination though. Oh yeah, Lyne rivers is one ugly bitch! Keving67
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:23:58 AM EST
It wasn't just the guns. The national press picked up on it because of the Brady support of her, but Rivers was an Ann Arbor liberal to the core. She loves the heck out of abortions, and wants free ones. Her husband's "job" is going to US military bases, taking hammers to various things, and throwing blood on the troops as much as possible. That was all cool when the dems drew the Michigan 13 so as to be over half extreme liberals and poor/dumb blacks who vote as ordered by their pastor/leader (The AA/Ypsi part of the district). The rest of the disctrict was drawn out to a rep zone and a zone of working dems, but those were carefully less than 50% of the 13. The GOP redrew, nailing her liberal folks into a working class dem district. Do you at all think a good union working dem is going to vote for a pro-abortion, anti-serviceman, anti-gun woman when there was any other option? Lynn did, that's why she is gone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:51:38 AM EST
From the article: [b]Mr. Dingell is the longest-serving House member, first elected in 1955. His father held the seat from 1933 to 1955.[/b] Hmmm, maybe the Michigan voters just looked at the seat as his rightful inheritance? I'm glad he won the Democratic primary, now if we just had a pro-gun Republican to run against him! Or a declaration from him that he would support Danny Hastert (R-IL) for Speaker of the House, rather than Richard Gephardt (D-MO) when the new Congress convenes in January, 2003, to vite for leadership. I guess that's asking just [u]too[/u] much from this old defender of the RKBA! Huh? Eric The(Sad,SoSad)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:03:44 AM EST
You know, I was a Democrat for many years, back when the party had a lot of people in it like John Dingell. It's not that I've changed my view of things over the years. Rather, it's that the Democratic Party lost all it's reasonable members, and was taken over by the people we considered the nut case fringe back in the '60s and early '70s.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:14:10 AM EST
Worry not--the gun grabbers 'won'!
Michiganders Will Urge Dingell to Vote for Assault Weapons Ban Re-Authorization (Ann Arbor) - Gun safety advocates claimed a significant, if not all-out victory in Michigan's 15th Congressional District Democratic primary, and will urge John Dingell to vote for re-authorization of the federal assault weapons ban during the next Congress. Dingell, who has not faced tough opposition since he was first elected to Congress in 1955, won election against fellow incumbent Democrat Lynn Rivers. Concerned that his past pro-NRA positions would cost him the seat, Dingell joined forces with Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) to improve the nation's criminal background check system - a system he originally opposed when he voted against final passage of the Brady Law in 1993. "We congratulate John Dingell, and we hope he comes away with a better understanding of what his constituents want," said Khalid Pitts, State Director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "We look forward to working with Mr. Dingell to ensure that he stays the course for the safety of his constituents, and all Americans." Dingell, a powerful member of Congress often referred to as the "Dean of the House," outspent Rivers, and had the highly-organized support of local labor unions. "The significant role that gun safety played in this race shows that it is not going away as an issue," said Pitts. "People care where their elected officials stand on gun violence prevention. That's something even John Dingell understands."
View Quote
Of course, the NRA favored the instant backgrond check. It was the rest of Brady they disliked. I'll say guns aren't going away as an issue. They're going to be used to beat up Democrats.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:20:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By shamayim: You know, I was a Democrat for many years, back when the party had a lot of people in it like John Dingell. It's not that I've changed my view of things over the years. Rather, it's that the Democratic Party lost all it's reasonable members, and was taken over by the people we considered the nut case fringe back in the '60s and early '70s.
View Quote
Hello! I heard that.
Top Top