Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 7:07:19 AM EDT
Ok, I just replaced the EGR valve because it failed emissions.  Immidiately after this, the idle on my car went to crap.  In park, it is fine for the most part.  In nuetral, it is fine, but put it in drive or reverse and the thing conks out all the time.  Driving at normal/ speeds is fine.  Only when I come to a stop sign does it have trouble.  I have to throw it in nuetral so it doesnt shut off.  Could this be the PCV valve?  What should I do?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is the PCV valve, that is the easiet part on your vehicle to replace.  Go to Autozone and get them to read your trouble codes.  

Actually, you may be able to do this yourself by taking a paper clip bent like a horseshoe and placing the two ends into the top, right-most pins of your diagnostic plug (which should be under your dash).  Your check engine light will flash the number twelve three times and then give you the number of the trouble code.  You can cross-reference the trouble code for your vehicle on the Autozone website under the repair manual section.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
K guys, I need further help here.

I replaced the EGR valve (because the car failed emissions) and immediately afterwards, the car dies if not in park or neutral and it is idling.  I just got done replacing PCV valve and to no avail, the car is still acting up.  Could you please tell me what else I can do to solve this problem?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the catlytic converter? A clogged cat can cause a crappy idle. I assume you've already done a tune up?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Idle air control motor......regulates idle when in drive and when A/C is in use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Idle air control motor......regulates idle when in drive and when A/C is in use.

replace it?

ETA: BTW, the PCV valve was covered in oil....not sure if this helps solve the problem...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats the Chevy 2.8L v6, right?  Sounds like what my old car was doing.  IAC ended up fubar.  Resetting the computer would fix it for a while (three or four days).

Tellin' ya, go hit the forums over at www.v6z24.com -- its the same engine, so the problems/solutions should be pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

replace it?

ETA: BTW, the PCV valve was covered in oil....not sure if this helps solve the problem...

The only fix for a bad IAC is a replacement.

A stopped up PCV valve should not have anything to do with the stalling problem, but it will case a intake gasket to blow or push oil out of the dipstick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  BTW, is that forum for a specific car or something?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yellow, I havent done a tune up on the beast.  Havent even thought of the catalytic converter.  Ill try the IAC first...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.  BTW, is that forum for a specific car or something?

Its mainly for the the Z24 variety of the Cavalier....but you've got the same engine (the 2.8L v6), I can't imagine them being anything but helpful with engine problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were you I would try a simple tune up first. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Any of those can cause your problem as well as a clogged fuel filter and if it doesn't solve the problem it probably needed it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
take it from a mechanic, you are going about fixing your car the wrong way....most cars today will require a computer diagnosis to fix, especially if your car is calling a code...(i assume that is why you replaced your EGR)  you will spend countless dollars and many hours of aggravation by playing russian roulette w your car (replace a part, see if it works).  Find yourself a local shop that isnt going to rake you across the coals, bite the bullet, have them diagnose your car, you will be much happier with your results...

it will not be your pcv valve, the positive crankcase ventilation valve recirculates unburnt gas from the crankcase back into the manifold to be reburnt....

do you know if your egr is property installed?  maybe you mixed up vaccum lines?  i know if you put your finger under the valve, touching the diaphragm,  when you bump the throttle of your car, you should feel the diaphragm suck open, if it doesnt, maybe you have the wrong vaccum hose attached to the valve...anyways, hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks 2nd Amendment.  Ill take her in to get it diagnosed.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top