Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:13:00 PM EDT
Well, it was raining today and I really wanted to get some range time in so my wife and I took the H&K USPC 9mm and some ammo and off we went. In addition to the H&K, I also rented their Beretta 92FS because I was seriously looking at getting one (put a down payment on one today).

We had just finished up shooting the H&K and the 92FS and were in the processes of sweeping up brass when I look to the table on the rear right of me and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Some idiot had brought a lot of guns to shoot but that’s not what bothered me at all (indeed I approved of the selection). What bothered me was that one of them was a .300 WSM shoulder cannon and the other was an SKS … Neither one are safe for that range.

I had my wife hurry up and we shut the door to the range just as we heard a huge !!! BOOM !!!. I opened the door to the man trap heading into the sales floor just as one of the owners jaw dropped as he was on the phone talking to someone. The other owner ran out of the back room and looked at the owner on the phone who was trying to maintain the conversation and gesturing wildly for the other owner to get out to the range. The owner getting ready to head out to the range asked what that was and the other guy told him what he was firing. An immediate cease-fire was called and the owner said, “HOLY SHIT stop firing that it’ll go clean through the trap!”

Some people never cease to amaze me. C'mon, THINK. He had a HUGE scope on that thing and heck, the indoor range only GOES TO 25 YARDS for Pete's sake!? The employee that was there with the owners said he had asked them what they were shooting before they went in and he was told they were only shooting .22's.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:17:51 PM EDT by TrashHeap]
The owner should have signs clearly posting what calibers the said range is capable of containing. Don't just expect people to know.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:18:20 PM EDT
Was the guy shooting a State Representative from Virginia?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TrashHeap:
The owner should have signs clearly posting what calibers the said range is capable of containing. Don't just expect people to know.

Evidentally not ... I think that there are signs around stating that the range is for pistol calibers only but I'm not certain of that. Regardless, any indoor range I've ever been to one of the first questions is what are you allowed to shoot ...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fatk1d:

Evidentally not ... I think that there are signs around stating that the range is for pistol calibers only but I'm not certain of that. Regardless, any indoor range I've ever been to one of the first questions is what are you allowed to shoot ...

I shot a mosin at an indoor range. They didn't seem to have a problem with it. It was 25 yards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:21:47 PM EDT
When you get swept by a FA Thompson with the sweepers finger on the trigger,then you have seen "idiots at the range".

Until then,all other idiots are just in training.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:22:44 PM EDT
Usually you have to check in with the owner/employees before you shoot, hell some even ask to see what you're shooting and what type of ammo you'll be shooting. I've ever heard of someone of going right in to an indoor range and just start shooting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:24:15 PM EDT
owners fault for not keeping a eye on the range
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:25:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TrijiCog:
When you get swept by a FA Thompson with the sweepers finger on the trigger,then you have seen "idiots at the range".

How did you keep from wrapping your hands around their throats? Were they kids??
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:25:47 PM EDT
sounds like the idiots were all behind the counter there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:26:27 PM EDT

The employee had ASKED him before he went in. The customer LIED. He should have been told never to come back for that idiotic stunt. And every range Ive ever been to has bright big font signs everywhere stating everything. Liabillity is bad enough for McDonalds hot coffee...a gun range? hello? There are signs Im sure.

What an idiot. Hope no damage (severe) was done.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:27:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Inspector1:
owners fault for not keeping a eye on the range

I don't think the owners were too happy with the employee at the desk. When questioned I heard him say, "Well, they said they just had .22s ..." Still should have been watching the floor though I 'spose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:29:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By memyselfandi:

The employee had ASKED him before he went in. The customer LIED. He should have been told never to come back for that idiotic stunt. And every range Ive ever been to has bright big font signs everywhere stating everything. Liabillity is bad enough for McDonalds hot coffee...a gun range? hello? There are signs Im sure.

What an idiot. Hope no damage (severe) was done.

I waited for the owner to come back from inspecting the trap and he said that he couldn't find where it had impacted which made me wonder a little bit ... Maybe they were lucky and for whatever reason the bullet didn't in fact make it through. He was a little shaken up. I think the guys that did it were actually allowed to stay and finish up with the pistols. Don't know for sure. I left shortly after the trap report.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:30:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:31:46 PM EDT by TrijiCog]

Originally Posted By fatk1d:

How did you keep from wrapping your hands around their throats? Were they kids??

After the adrenaline stopped pumping,I was left in a state of disbelief.The owner of the weapon was in his late 50's and the shooter (mid 40's)had no idea what he was firing.It seemed like he thought any gun can be fired full auto.

Why I didn't throttle the dude..well,they had machine guns.I tend to not assault people that have access to FA's.Kinda no-brainer if ya ask me

The incident happened about a month ago,and I still can't believe it actually occured.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT by ScaryGuy]

Does having a moronic bitch point a fully loaded full-auto MAC-10 at your chest whilst she fucks with the bolt release count? Yes, the bitch hade her finger on the trigger.

Needless to say I was not pleased.

SG

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:25 AM EDT
There are no outdoor ranges at all where I am.
The local indoor range I go to is 30 yards, and they allow rifles in four of their ten lanes.
The rifle lanes have a different backstop than the others, and you aren't allowed to shoot steel-core/tip nuthin' though. Shotguns /slugs okay too. I dunno what the upper-caliber limit on rifles is, but I have seen people with EBR's in there.
~
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:
There are no outdoor ranges at all where I am.
The local indoor range I go to is 30 yards, and they allow rifles in four of their ten lanes.
The rifle lanes have a different backstop than the others, and you aren't allowed to shoot steel-core/tip nuthin' though. Shotguns /slugs okay too. I dunno what the upper-caliber limit on rifles is, but I have seen people with EBR's in there.
~

It really depends upon what the traps are rated for. I just question how much fun I'd have shooting a rifle at 25 yards. It's not much of a challenge. Others mileage will vary.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 7:22:19 AM EDT by txinvestigator]
I am the Director of Training at a range in Dallas. We have strict rules for the safety of others. Our backstop is rated for up to .30 caliber rifles including .308, .7.62x39, etc.

We require people who have not fired at our range before fill out an information sheet (read waiver) and read our range rules. There is a sentance buried within the rules that the shooter is required to state to the range officer. That is so we know they actually read the rules.

Our guys are pretty good about asking what people are shooting, but it seems people lie or "forget". Once we become aware we stop anyting in violation of the rules.

People shoot the equipment all of the time, including the carriers, clips and pullys. Because of this, we do not allow rapid fire, head shots past the 5 yard line, etc. Still people do it and get pissed when we stop them.

We state in the rules that shooters will only unpack at pack their weapons on the firing lines. We do have tables set up behind the lines for folks to set their bags, ammo cases, etc. Every day we have to remind people to keep their guns on the shooting line and not carry them to the tables to reload, pack, etc. Some don't seem to get it that they are handling weapons BEHIND others. We have signs on every lane stating "keep muzzles pointed down range only" People just want to do what they want to do, regardless

LAst week while I was instructing a class on the line in a partitioned section (5 lanes there with a door to access the larger range) a young man was shooting. I looked thru the door and he brought his handgun off the line, back to the table and set it down on the table pointed right at me while he reloaded his magazine. The slide was in battery.

He then inserted the magazine as he walked towards the line. I secured my class and walked down and politely asked him to not do that, and told him why.

A little later later I hear very rapid, loud and obviously a rifle shooting. I walked down to him agaon to find him standing, shooting some AK clone as fast as he could pull the trigger. (We require rilfe shooters shoot from a seated position and do not allow rapid fire) I stopped him and took him to the lobby. He was a little cocky as I made him read the range rules again.

Things go fine for a bit, then I see him reloaded his handgun behind the line AGAIN. This time I was a little more stern with him. I was standing about 2 arms lengths away while talking to him, and he yelled to get the fuck out of his face. Needless to say I told him he was done and had to leave. He packed up and left.

Once at the registers he began to complain to the other range officer, so I interjected. He decided to cuss and name call, so I told him he could never return.

All that over simple safety violations. Believe me when I tell you guys, it ain't always the staff's fault.

Shoot safely boys and girls
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:24:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By txinvestigator:
All that over simple safety violations. Believe me when I tell you guys, it ain't always the staff's fault.

Shoot safely boys and girls

True enough...
Top Top