Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 5:54:17 AM EDT
Hey guys I need a little help. One of my coworkers has had his identity stolen.

He went to see about financing and bam! he has Donald Trump's outstanding debt balance.

We are in Austin, Texas the perpetrator has a Lexington, Kentucky address. What I need to know is what is the first step? My suggestion is to call the Lexington P.D. and go from there. Since it is interstate would it be better to call the FBI?

We really need some help on this, any help would be great.

Thanks,

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If someone is using your identity and cashing your checks or credit cards, you should:  
 Report the situation immediately to your bank or credit card company. You may not have monetary liability because forgery and/or fraud is involved, but you will want the companies to be aware of the problem, as this is something that could affect your credit. In addition, follow these instructions to fully protect yourself:  

a) Contact all three credit bureaus and issue a fraud alert. Check your credit report six months later and look for items you don't recognize.  
 b) Provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.  
 c) Contact the proper authorities in writing, via certified receipt request.  
 d) Inform your local police department, Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts.  

Credit bureaus:  
 Equifax: 800-525-6285  
 Experian: 888-397-3742  
 Transunion: 800-680-7289  
 SSA Fraud Hotline: 800-269-0271  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a thief steals your identity and begins racking up debt:  
 A) Contact the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies. Request that your account be flagged and add a victim's statement saying, "MY ID has been used to fraudulently apply for credit. Call me at this number to verify all applications." Find out how long the fraud alert will be posted and how to extend it if you need to. Check your credit report and look for items you don't recognize.  

B) Contact your credit card companies and financial institutions to report the fraud. Get new cards, have old accounts colsed with a memo stating, "account closed at customer's request." Follow up in writing.  

C) Call the police and get the crime on record, then get a copy of the police report. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided.  

D) Notify the Federal Trade Commission, which keeps a database of identity thefts. Phone: (888) FTC-HELP; Address: FTC, CRC-40, Washington D.C. 20580.  

E) Notify you bank and if necessary, cancel checking and savings accounts and get new account numbers. Request a password that may be used in every transaction. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. Don't use your SS # or birthdate as a password.  

F) Don't pay any bill or part of a bill resulting from identity theft.  

Courtesy of Clark Howard
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Identity theft is huge right now. Prison gangs like Pen1 and NLR have it down to a science. these guys are pulling in several hundred thousand a year, and blowing most of it on Meth.  The risk to reward ratio is much better than other crimes too. The average street cop does not have the ability to sucessfully investigate identity theft capers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife had her purse stolen a couple of years ago, and the thieves tried to use her credit cards and tried to use her identity to order computers, cellphones, etc...but we stopped their butts cold with a few toll-free phone calls.  We just filled out some fraud affadavits and that was that...we didn't lose any $$$.  We also placed fraud alerts on her credit files.

We subscribe to one of those credit alert services...they WORK...we were notified as soon as the thieves tried to open a new acccount under her name.  We stopped them before any damage was done to her credit.

Eternal vigilance...it applies to credit and finances, too...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wife had her purse stolen a couple of years ago, and the thieves tried to use her credit cards ...

They must have been slow.

Around here you have about 25 minutes from the time your card is stolen until it is used to 1) fill up at $2.19 a gallon and 2) Buy $600.00 worth of beer, cigarettes, and steaks at the grocery store.  Ever notice that grocery stores dont even look at the name on the card, and you dont even have to sign anything when you pay will a credit Card at the gas pump.

Now the scams they use to get $50,000.00 cash advances in Vegas are more elaborate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I feel bad for John this is the second person I have seen this happen to.

Once again thanks alot.

96Ag

update: Once again guys thank you, John really appreciates your help. BB your info was spot on and he was able to get the ball rolling quickly.

Big thanks from John.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top