Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:47:15 PM EDT
I am looking for some creative ideas to keep all my neighbors cats off my property without killing them.  They like to congregate in my front yard (yes i live in town) and it drives my 2 dogs nuts, and several of the neighbors dogs nuts.  These are large cats that I assume are my neighbors pets but dont know which neighbors.  People have been charged with animal crualty for killing or live trapping them in my area.  I am so tempted to put out some antifreeze and kill them, but really dont want to get caught doing it.  If anyone has had a similar problem and found a remedy please tell me.  And the town board is aware of the problem, and threaten to trap cats that are loose in town, but I havnt seen any action.  Thoughts of late night pelet gun sniper have crossed my mind too.  But like I said, is there anything that would just drive them away without disturbing the neighbors or killing the cats?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Put your dogs on long chains so they can get to most of the front yard.  That will keep the cats away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some friends who had the same problem with a dog in their neighborhood.  They left a dog treat out with Tobasco or some similar sauce on it, the dog found it and they never saw it again.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
supersoaker - cats hate water!

if they are digging and crapping in the gardens, bury mothballs.

good luck
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
claymores.

oh, wait, without killing them...

i'm stumped, but you may want to mine the perimeter anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
How about some hounds?  Or get a bunch of pepper spray cans and spray the shit out of them (they make ballistic stream if you can find it--it sprays a stream like out of a water gun, so you can hit them from a distance)---don't spray into the wind...that's painful
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Take them to the vet, have their legs surgically removed, and leve them far enough from your property line that it would be a real hassle for them to roll onto your property.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Take them to the vet, have their legs surgically removed, and leve them far enough from your property line that it would be a real hassle for them to roll onto your property.

Best idea yet!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man, this is easy. What you wanna do is...

Quoted:
...without killing them?

Huh? Damn. Nevermind. I got nothin'.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
What would be a discrete .22LR round for not killing cats anyway?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Treat the perimeter with fox smell or something similiar? Kill the neighbors. The cat problem will take care of itself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheap walmart pellet gun......  it'll scare the crap out of them without the side effect of death.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Think multiple sprinklers in their loafing area.  A remote electric water valve (available at homey depot $12) and a switch and you are set.

Put the switch (and a camcorder) by the window and wait.  Have overlaping fields of fire on the sprinklers and possibly some bait to lure them to the center of the assualt area.

When they are in your field of fire, start the camcorder, then hit the button.

And you MUST post the video here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Some good ideas, I like it, keep em coming,  Only thing about water is it is freezing almost every night here in Neb.  so I cant do the sprinkler thing until spring, plus they put stupid leaking backdrain adapters on all my faucets, town ordnance.  I think the cats took care of the snake problem I had, but I would much rather have the snakes than the cats.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a problem, the valves also work with compressed air (anotherr application that involves small artillary).

Do the same setup with an aircompressor, surge tank and sprinklers.  The cats will launch themselves at the hissing and movement from the sprinklers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Inform your neighbors that you are setting live traps on your property. Any cat that gets caught in one is going to the pound. They'll either keep the cats indoors(unlikely) or hopefully after 10 or 20 trips to the pound, you'll run out of cats to trap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Dolls, err, action figures?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Inform your neighbors that you are setting live bear traps on your property. Any cat that gets caught in one is going to the pound be dead. They'll either keep the cats indoors(unlikely) or hopefully after 10 or 20 trips to the pound dead ones, you'll run out of cats to trap.

There fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
leave out a bowl of anti-freeze.  the cats will enjoy the tasty treat and they'll leave you alone afterwards
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a product on the market called Get Off My Garden  Keeps animals away from your garden, with scent I suppose.  Treat the perimeter of the yard with this stuff, see if it works.  It kept all of the animals away from the fruit trees I planted a while back (dogs included).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a Tippman A-5 with the velocity screw backed way out, No death just dots.
You can also freeze your paintballs for that extra hang time if ya know what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
OC in the face or a BB gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Whats the fun in that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]
airsoft
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm buying one of those traps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
If it hasn't already been said....

AIRSOFT...   FULL AUTO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive sniped cats with bb guns many times before. If you use a low powered weapon and a proper projectile you can pop em without hurting em.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
airsoft

+1 the only real use for these things is the torment of felines.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#32]

TREBUCHET

where, and how, they land is not your problem.

edit for linky
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]
It would be funny to see the neighbors face, when there cat finally comes home and is covered in paint!  From a paintball gun.  Too bad I cant bring myself to buy a paintball gun just for that!  I got ARs and AKs to support with my cash.  I should check with my friends, if I remember some of them have paintball guns, and would prob let me borrow one.  That is a great idea.  Do they make full auto paintball guns?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If it hasn't already been said....

AIRSOFT...   FULL AUTO

+1  Works good for keeping the squirrels off the bird feeders too.  

rj
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It would be funny to see the neighbors face, when there cat finally comes home and is covered in pink paint!  From a paintball gun....  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Old school:

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It would be funny to see the neighbors face, when there cat finally comes home and is covered in chewing gum  

See the recommended delivery device in my post above...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Set up video first as usual.
Lure the kitty in close enough to grab it.  Now mount it like you would a dog to establish dominance, while yelling "who's your daddy!".  Make sure the neighbors are in sight when you do this.  The cat will not learn anything from this, but the neighbors should make sure the cat never gets in your yard again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I am looking for some creative ideas to keep all my neighbors cats off my property without killing them.  They like to congregate in my front yard (yes i live in town) and it drives my 2 dogs nuts, and several of the neighbors dogs nuts.  These are large cats that I assume are my neighbors pets but dont know which neighbors.  People have been charged with animal crualty for killing or live trapping them in my area.  I am so tempted to put out some antifreeze and kill them, but really dont want to get caught doing it.  If anyone has had a similar problem and found a remedy please tell me.  And the town board is aware of the problem, and threaten to trap cats that are loose in town, but I havnt seen any action.  Thoughts of late night pelet gun sniper have crossed my mind too.  But like I said, is there anything that would just drive them away without disturbing the neighbors or killing the cats?

So let me get this straight, you purchased several annoying pets, you keep them indoors where they can annoy you the most, then when your annoying animals goes crazy at someone else's tiny, quiet pet you try to blame someone else for your own choice?  Sure it's your property but it was also your choice to buy annoying pets.  Had you gotten a couple of cats, birds, hamsters, fish...ect this would not be an issue.  You chose a pet that can annoy you...so deal with it.  If your dogs go nuts at cats I'm sure they also go nuts at squirrles, birds, the mailman, kids...ect.  Are you plotting ways to rid your neighborhood of the mailman and kids too?  How about you give your own dogs some antifreeze...that will solve the problem right there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Shoot them with a 9mm it will just bounce off.

For a serious answer, I used live traps and then dropped them off a few miles away on a gravel road so someone out there can shoot them and not get in trouble. (I live in city limits so I can't shoot the damn things)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So let me get this straight, you purchased several annoying pets, you keep them indoors where they can annoy you the most, then when your annoying animals goes crazy at someone else's tiny, quiet pet you try to blame someone else for your own choice?  Sure it's your property but it was also your choice to buy annoying pets.  Had you gotten a couple of cats, birds, hamsters, fish...ect this would not be an issue.  You chose a pet that can annoy you...so deal with it.  If your dogs go nuts at cats I'm sure they also go nuts at squirrles, birds, the mailman, kids...ect.  Are you plotting ways to rid your neighborhood of the mailman and kids too?  How about you give your own dogs some antifreeze...that will solve the problem right there.

So, I take it you don't like my idea of sending them home with chewing gum stuck in their hair?

Works on the mailman and neighborhood kids, too.  It's a perfect solution!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree with all those that say BB gun. Nothing like a properly placed shot in the butt from a Red Rider style BB gun or a Pump gun with only one pump to make an unwanted cat or dog run like hell out of your yard. Has worked for me in the past on a little spitz that used to shit in my front yard when I was a kid and on several neighborhood cats.  Be warned sometimes you have to shoot the same animal two or three times to get through it's thick skull.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Its not my dogs, I am more annoyed by having a half dozen cats in my yard at any given time.  I also have a cat, and fish.  I am responsible with my cat, and it is not allowed to run the neighborhood at all.  Ive had it for over 6 years and his not ran loose more than 2 or 3 times in that period only when it escapes.  Like I said, my neighbors "annoying" dogs bark at theese cats too, I live on a corner lot in view of 5 or 6 houses, with about 4 having dogs that will stand on their fence and bark at the cats that congrigate in my yard.  With all the barking going on outside my dogs will join in, but with a stern command to my dogs they will stop, they are very obiedant dogs, trained labs, but my neighbors dogs are not, and im not about to yell at my neighbors dogs.  Like I said, Im looking for humane way to run the cats out of my yard, while having a little fun with it.  I DO NOT PLAN TO KILL OR TORTURE the cats as I do not want to get into any trouble.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#44]
The problem is with the owners, not the cats. I have had five+ cats for five+ years now, and by and large, they make wonderful friends. Now, mine have never crossed the plane of the doorway, unless they are kenneled and heading to Chamber's Point Veternary Clinic.

The scumbag owners need a talking-to; cats routinely die very early (< seven years) in the wild from any of 100 causes. They don't call them "housecats" because they are so tough they can get by in the outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Regularly water your lawn with a hose and spray nozzle.....water everything, cats and all... eventually the cats might get the hint.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I read the title

"How to get cats off properly without killing them"

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#48]
cats like to roam...so you live trap 'em and take them out to roam where the buffalo do...that's not evil...that is just givin' them thar freedom...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Put a huge plastic dome over your entire property.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

well. .catchem, cookem, invite your neighbors to dinner. dont tell them until them ask you for you delicous recipe. them just tell em you wouk your cats..

but the leg removal idea does have merit...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top