Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 12:44:19 PM EDT
This year I will have about 5-7 boys earn their Eagle Scout.  These will be the first to come out of our troop.  We are a fairly new troop.  I've worked with these boys since they came into the troop at age 11.  They are great kids.   My question is I want to give a gift to the boys that earn their eagle scout, but am unsure what that should be.  I know if I do it for one I need to do it for all that come so any ideas of what you've seen given or what you received or any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I was given a really nice knife engraved with the the date and Eagle Scout on it along with my name.

My dad is on the Council for The Eagle board of review in his area and I can see what the troops in his area are giving the kids who get eagle.

What is your budget?

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was given a really nice knife engraved with the the date and Eagle Scout on it along with my name.
My dad is on the Council for The Eagle board of review in his area and I can see what the troops in his area are giving the kids who get eagle.
What is your budget?
View Quote

A knife.

Buck Eagle Scout Knife - @ $50/piece (includes engraving) it could get expensive for 5-7 boys. Might be cheaper to pick up another knife and have them engraved locally.

ETAThis Eagle Scout Swiss Army Knife May be cheaper @ $25 but doesn't include engraving. Will still come out cheaper to do it locally I believe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on you OP for being a Scout master. I'm my son's Webelo leader. I'm making a Damascus knife for him when crosses over to Boy Scouts. If he eagles I will get him a Henry Eagle Scout rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto on the knives.  Practical gift that will give them years of service.

My son has a Boy Scout knife that was given to me by my uncle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I normally give knives.

We've had at least 6 earn Eagle this year, and the same last year.  Several more have submitted their paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know what your budget is, but concur with knife of some kind.
I have and use the knife my knife maker scout master made me twenty five years ago.

Even a fifteen dollar mora, engraved or even very inexpensively etched with the troop logo or an eagle would be a great gift.

A Swedish mora is one of single best survival knives ever made and should be all an eagle scout would need to survive in the woods

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Get them a decent cheap sheath knife. We buy the LA Police Gear Operators for guys that leave our unit and get them engraved. The knife is pretty good, sheath is ok and you can get something engraved on there for pretty cheap. They go for like $20 of Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
when i earned my eagle scout i wasnt given anything by my scoutmaster.  instead he did spend alot of time coordinating alot of congratulatory letters from famous eagle scouts, politicans and celebrities.  i got a hand written letter and personalized photo from arnold palmer.  his letter mentioned my eagle scout project and about how much of an honor it was to become an eagle scout.  i also received a congratulations card from george hw bush and a nice letter from gerald ford as well.  there were around 25 letters, photos and cards from famous people and politicians.  he must have spent alot of time and i really appreciated that, i still have all of them to this day. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
or you can get them all these.................

henry eagle scout rifles

lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Leatherman
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking in the $50 or so range.  I like the knife idea and engraving!  Thanks so much for the responses!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

henry eagle scout rifles

lol
View Quote

I wish I could!  That would be awesome!  I may have to get one for myself -- retroactively.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#14]
When boys in our troop make Eagle scout, I give them an Eagle scout challenge coin with their name and date of the Eagle BOR engraved in it as well as a presentation case. You can get them from Northwestern territorial mint.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

henry eagle scout rifles

lol
View Quote

Yupp.. get them this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Knifes as posted with a Silver coin.?

Congrats the new Eagles!! from a old Eagle
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait until Trump takes office before requesting the congratulatory certificate...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
It's nice that you want to get them something extra, but your real gift to them was your time and commitment to scouting. That is what they will remember you for.

I was a scout, unfortunately I  did not pursue Eagle because at the time I thought other things were more important. At any rate, I really did enjoy my time scouting and learned a lot. Several years ago, I wrote my old Scout master and assistant Scout master and thanked them for the time they invested in the betterment of my life.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This year I will have about 5-7 boys earn their Eagle Scout.  These will be the first to come out of our troop.  We are a fairly new troop. I've worked with these boys since they came into the troop at age 11. They are great kids.   My question is I want to give a gift to the boys that earn their eagle scout, but am unsure what that should be.  I know if I do it for one I need to do it for all that come so any ideas of what you've seen given or what you received or any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!
View Quote

As an Eagle I know this first hand, the best gift you can and have given is in red above.

Thank you for you time, your evenings, your weekends, and the horrendously unfunny scoutmaster jokes that you have drilled into our psyche.

What we gained in scouts is more than you will know. We get to see this as we get older and realize what you have really given us during our formative years and for our lives going forward.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm more of the mindset of useful stuff rather than stuff to keep in a drawer not that there's anything wrong with mementos.

A metal handle SAK. My personal fav is the farmer which includes the saw.

A zippo lighter.

A thumb drive or sd card full of troop trip pictures.

And I know the feeling you have after investing so much into those boys. Good on you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Hand-made fire-pistons.  I have made 5 or 6 and have another 5 or 6 to go, at least.

The body of the piston gets laser engraved with the Eagle Badge, the name of the Scout, and date of the final BoR.

Make them out of Red Oak, Maple, Osage Orange, have used pine and cedar too, but they don't finish as fancy.   Will be making some out of Arbor Vitae or Mahogany for a Scout that went to Seabase.

Might be making one out of Aspen for a Scout that's been to Philmont.

Attachment Attached File

These were the first two. The red oak doesn't laser engrave all that pretty.

Current models have a plaque with a cradle and a small name plate with date and a thank you statement on it.  On the back is a removeable sticker with fire-piston info and some malarkey about the symbolism of the wood chosen.  Red Oak = wisdom, Osage Orange = strength and steadfastness, that sort of stuff.

Can't find any pictures of one of the recent presentations.

The fire-pistons are handmade with a brass sleeve and piston rod. They are fully functional, but more ceremonial or sentimentally valueable hopefully.

Point of the fire-piston is to remind the Scout to always be sparking the fire of inspiration in others.  Light Fires of motivation in others, be a guide, and be an example.

Hokey, but some of the Scouts have really appreciated them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This year I will have about 5-7 boys earn their Eagle Scout.  These will be the first to come out of our troop.  We are a fairly new troop.  I've worked with these boys since they came into the troop at age 11.  They are great kids.   My question is I want to give a gift to the boys that earn their eagle scout, but am unsure what that should be.  I know if I do it for one I need to do it for all that come so any ideas of what you've seen given or what you received or any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!
View Quote

Send an invitation to the President if the United States to attend their ceremony, they will (should) receive a signed letter (probably auto signed) with a congratulation.

If you can have your return address on the envelope, you should receive the response and can frame the letter and present it to them in a month or so. If you do this, you can also save the envelope that it arrives in.

Alternatively, you can just tell their parents to do it :-)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hand-made fire-pistons.  I have made 5 or 6 and have another 5 or 6 to go, at least.

The body of the piston gets laser engraved with the Eagle Badge, the name of the Scout, and date of the final BoR.

Make them out of Red Oak, Maple, Osage Orange, have used pine and cedar too, but they don't finish as fancy.   Will be making some out of Arbor Vitae or Mahogany for a Scout that went to Seabase.

Might be making one out of Aspen for a Scout that's been to Philmont.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26360/ben-ethan-110042.JPG

These were the first two. The red oak doesn't laser engrave all that pretty.

Current models have a plaque with a cradle and a small name plate with date and a thank you statement on it.  On the back is a removeable sticker with fire-piston info and some malarkey about the symbolism of the wood chosen.  Red Oak = wisdom, Osage Orange = strength and steadfastness, that sort of stuff.

Can't find any pictures of one of the recent presentations.

The fire-pistons are handmade with a brass sleeve and piston rod. They are fully functional, but more ceremonial or sentimentally valueable hopefully.

Point of the fire-piston is to remind the Scout to always be sparking the fire of inspiration in others.  Light Fires of motivation in others, be a guide, and be an example.

Hokey, but some of the Scouts have really appreciated them.
View Quote

Those are great. Hand made gifts are the best.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
+1 to an engraved knife. Doesn't have to be a Bark River, just something US made.

5-7 scouts making Eagle in a year is amazing. My troop was 25-35 scouts and we had years where no one advanced to Eagle but that was 40 years ago.
View Quote

Eagle aint what it used to be 40 years ago.  Or even 20 years ago when I went through.

But I digress...

The tradition in our troop was that a newly minted Eagle got a newly minted Silver Eagle coin.

My son's a Webelos right now.  I don't think that our troop gives any kind of a gift to the Eagles.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My scoutmaster presented me a Texas flag that flew over the state capital building on the day of my Eagle BOR. That was a pretty neat idea. No idea on cost or how he arranged that though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]

send an Email to Buck Knives custom shop.
they have several knives available at economical prices for custom engraving.

this is a momentous occasion.

I still have mine from 1986.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My scoutmaster presented me a Texas flag that flew over the state capital building on the day of my Eagle BOR. That was a pretty neat idea. No idea on cost or how he arranged that though.
View Quote

this is an excellent idea. contact your local state Senator for help on this.
since its your first Eagle Ceremony, he/she might be able to be on hand for the ceremony.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
My scout master gave us walking sticks that he cut and varished for us.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yupp.. get them this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

henry eagle scout rifles

lol

Yupp.. get them this.

I got my son one when he made Eagle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#31]
multipurpose knife, like a leatherman or swiss army. You can get swiss army knives engraved.

Swiss Army Knife Engraved
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Mora Stainless Bushcraft
Good firesteel (not the shitty BSA one)
Silver Eagle coin

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Our Committee chair normally gets our Eagles a copy of the "official" Eagle Scout book from the Scout Shop, and we get all the Scoutmasters to sign it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I commend your desire to reward these scouts but as a former scoutmaster I caution against giving gifts as a personal gesture and recommend getting the committee to cover the cost and establish a Troop tradition for future Eagle scouts and Scoutmasters.  The award/reward can be officially "from the SM" and stipulate the SM choses the reward.
When you retire as SM your successor can carry on the tradition without resorting to his own funds or worse ceasing the tradition.  If you feel the need to donate to the committee fund do that .
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably a bit late, but my last ScoutMaster would keep an eye out for cedar logs and cut them up to make three-legged stools for his Eagle Scouts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's nice that you want to get them something extra, but your real gift to them was your time and commitment to scouting. That is what they will remember you for.

I was a scout, unfortunately I  did not pursue Eagle because at the time I thought other things were more important. At any rate, I really did enjoy my time scouting and learned a lot. Several years ago, I wrote my old Scout master and assistant Scout master and thanked them for the time they invested in the betterment of my life.
View Quote

I bet they really appreciated that.  The kids have no idea how much time is spent on their behalf's so they can learn and have great experiences.  That letter will mean a lot to those leaders.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I bet they really appreciated that.  The kids have no idea how much time is spent on their behalf's so they can learn and have great experiences.  That letter will mean a lot to those leaders.
View Quote

We had a very active troop. We had a campout once a month, and weekly meetings at the local church in its large basement. Our troop owned about 8 canoes and went on a river trip every year. We were very active in the community. We went to Philmont twice! It was a blast. I made it to Life rank and am OA. I wish now I would have went for Eagle, but I can't go back 30 years and talk to that stupid, hard headed kid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I know all about that.  We have some super smart kids that could get their eagle, but are running around.  You just can't convince them that later in life they will regret not getting it.  :(  You can only do what you can do, but you wish you could do more.  :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]
We got a wet stone with a nice wooden base. Nothing too fancy, but quality.

I still use it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Our Scout master made the boys a cup with a eagle & name. Also a eagle scarf slide
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Buck 110 from my scout master.
One of my prized possessions.
We miss you Tom Hutto, you died too young. Thanks for the memories.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#42]
U.S. mint 2010 BSA Centennial commemorative silver dollar proof.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I earned my Eagle in May 1970... never recieved a material gift...just a lot of guidance from WWII vets, including my dad...I reflect on that period of my life with great fondness, it really forged my character...for the better. Thanks Dad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#44]
When I became an Eagle Scout my scout master gave me a framed picture of the troop before we went to summer camp in probably the 2nd or 3rd year in the troop. It was the best gift I received.

I love that picture, great memories.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Easy, they're Eagles.... each one needs a1000' spool of para cord.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#46]
another vote for state flag.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top