Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 10:26:03 AM EDT
I am not usually one to run and hide, but can I just *for once* play the chick card and get out of this chore????

The trim on the outside of our house needs to be painted. Hubby works all day, so I thought I'd be a good girl and do it myself. I'm cruisin' right along and all is going well until I get to the second story and the soffit thingy (is that what you call the underside of the roof that overhangs the house?).

First it's the ladder - on a hill - so it wobbles every time I make the slightest move. "Please dear God, don't let me fall off this thing and suffer any mortal or debilitating injury." Then it's the creepy crawly things! EWWWWW spiders EVERYWHERE!!!! So now I'm balancing on a ladder holding paint in one hand and a brush in the other and spiders keep falling on me. I missed scraping a coccoon and accidentally painted over it. Well, there was a spider inside and it came down all covered in paint right in front of my face. I nearly fell off the ladder. Then there was the weird I-don't-even-know-what-kind-of-funky bug that fell down my shirt and bit me on the boob. OH, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Please let it be over soon!!! I've got the bay window and 2 upper bedroom windows then I'm off the big ladder. I've caught a cold, so I haven't worked on it for 2 days and I'm not looking forward to starting back up again. Oh icky. icky.

[vent off]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:15:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Persephone:
I am not usually one to run and hide, but can I just *for once* play the chick card and get out of this chore????

Sure you can.....

You just have to realize and accept that guys will then be entitled to treat you like a chick.

It's kind of like guys having a conversation, and one of them starts discussing duvets, cashmere rugs and doilies. Once you have gone there, there is no going back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:16:21 AM EDT
Ok, so I won't tell the story of why you would never catch me on a tall ladder like that EVER in this lifetime. And no it had nothing to do with spiders. Hang tough, I know you can do it!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:46:24 AM EDT

Then there was the weird I-don't-even-know-what-kind-of-funky bug that fell down my shirt and bit me on the boob.

I'm sorry, but thats just too funny

I'm sorry about the creepy things, wait till the weekend and have hubby do it for ya!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:46:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HBruns:

Sure you can.....

You just have to realize and accept that guys will then be entitled to treat you like a chick.

It's kind of like guys having a conversation, and one of them starts discussing duvets, cashmere rugs and doilies. Once you have gone there, there is no going back.

Suck it up and swing with nasty spiders or be doomed to a life where I'm not allowed to have an opinion and someone else makes all my choices? Wow, that's deep. Spiders are icky, so it's a tough choice.

Now if I swing with the spiders, can I still wear those pretty dresses and heals on special occasions? I generally like being treated like a chick... Unless the boys are doing something that looks like more fun. Ya gotta admit y'all got better toys.

So, Mrs GH: don't tease. What is it with you and ladders?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:10:01 PM EDT

Sure you can.....

Suck it up and swing with nasty spiders or be doomed to a life where I'm not allowed to have an opinion and someone else makes all my choices? Wow, that's deep. Spiders are icky, so it's a tough choice.
Yea.... The pathways of life are filled with pitfalls & pratfalls like this.

Now if I swing with the spiders, can I still wear those pretty dresses and heals on special occasions? Oh please do! I generally like being treated like a chick... Unless the boys are doing something that looks like more fun. Ya gotta admit y'all got better toys.
True... though there are some REALLY cool toys we don't have and can only have fun with when y'all decide to share.
(did I say that out loud? )

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:45:16 PM EDT

Now if I swing with the spiders, can I still wear those pretty dresses and heals on special occasions? I generally like being treated like a chick... Unless the boys are doing something that looks like more fun. Ya gotta admit y'all got better toys.

They sure do...One of 'em's even attached

Perse...ya kill me...now go kill the SPIDERS!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:47:22 PM EDT
You been around DrFrige to long......
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:53:38 PM EDT

It involves cleaning a brand new home with one of those really nice, really big windows above the front porch. I had to clean it on the inside (Outside was wasy, stand on the roof) and of course there was nothing but a ladder to clean it with. For perspective, I was a tad higher then the upstairs floor. It involved a ladder slipping, fingers hanging onto a window seal for dear life, a voice yelling "HELP!" as loud as it could and the fingers eventually giving way to the cramps, an ankle cracking and a trip to the ER. Thankfully it was just a severe sprain and it was my left ankle and I don't drive a stick.
So be CAREFUL if you do paint more!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:38:13 PM EDT
Just don't fall down! You're so sweet to do this for Hubby. I hope YOU get that treat that that guy was saying your husband would deserve for doing this chore...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 7:00:17 AM EDT by pattymcn]
Be careful! I would diffinately play the chick card and get someone to hold the ladder and spray some break free. Patty
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:31:33 PM EDT
Wife + painting the house????

Lets see, we have gardeners that takes care of the yard, maids that come in and clean the house. Somehow I don't see the wife ever getting close to a can of paint, much less doing the trapeze act on a ladder. As the wife says, there is nothing that can't be solved by just throwing money at the problem to make it go away.

But on the other hand, you did start the project, so looks like you might have to suffer threw on this one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:38:19 PM EDT
Amiga, I'm not using my "chick card" right now, so I'll pass it to ya. That way you can play it now, and still keep yours for later...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:54:45 AM EDT

The trim on the outside of our house needs to be painted. Hubby works all day, so I thought I'd be a good girl and do it myself. I'm cruisin' right along and all is going well until I get to the second story and the soffit thingy (is that what you call the underside of the roof that overhangs the house?).

First it's the ladder - on a hill - so it wobbles every time I make the slightest move. "Please dear God, don't let me fall off this thing and suffer any mortal or debilitating injury." Then it's the creepy crawly things! EWWWWW spiders EVERYWHERE!!!! So now I'm balancing on a ladder holding paint in one hand and a brush in the other and spiders keep falling on me. I missed scraping a coccoon and accidentally painted over it. Well, there was a spider inside and it came down all covered in paint right in front of my face. I nearly fell off the ladder. Then there was the weird I-don't-even-know-what-kind-of-funky bug that fell down my shirt and bit me on the boob. OH, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Please let it be over soon!!! I've got the bay window and 2 upper bedroom windows then I'm off the big ladder. I've caught a cold, so I haven't worked on it for 2 days and I'm not looking forward to starting back up again. Oh icky. icky.

[vent off]

Yes, or course you can play the chick card, BUT, it's gonna "cost" ya! /wink /wink
Just be prepared for the guy card to be played not too long after that!

"Honey, could you fix me a sammich, grab me a beer from the fridge, and rub my feet? Oh, and where is that damn remote?!?!?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT

Then there was the weird I-don't-even-know-what-kind-of-funky bug that fell down my shirt and bit me on the boob.

Must....

suck....

poison.....

from wound....

Any volunteers?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:15:11 PM EDT

Sure you can.....

What is a duvet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:12:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:02:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

It involves cleaning a brand new home with one of those really nice, really big windows above the front porch. I had to clean it on the inside (Outside was wasy, stand on the roof) and of course there was nothing but a ladder to clean it with. For perspective, I was a tad higher then the upstairs floor. It involved a ladder slipping, fingers hanging onto a window seal for dear life, a voice yelling "HELP!" as loud as it could and the fingers eventually giving way to the cramps, an ankle cracking and a trip to the ER. Thankfully it was just a severe sprain and it was my left ankle and I don't drive a stick.
So be CAREFUL if you do paint more!!!

Sounds like most of my childhood Mrs GH

Hang in there Persephone, sounds like you're almost done. Maybe you should run a search & destroy sortie up the ladder first without paint to take care of the ickys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:27:09 PM EDT
TBK: I don't own a pressure washer and I didn't think any of my friends did either so I was doing it the old fashioned way - scraping the paint with a scraper and squishing the bugs along the way. Turns out that my parents have one - wouldn't you know. Found out after I finished the part that needed it most.

Front is all done. No more tall ladder + slope. I only have one window and the trim next to the roof then it's all done on the big ladder.

But wouldn't you know. Just when I thought I was safe from the creepy creatures. A *@! wasp stung me on the arm as I was scraping a second story window. Little bastages had a nest up under the shutter - lucky it was only one. My arm swole up in the shape of an eye with a bloodish spot in the center. I put some baking soda on it and the sting went out of it, but the pain is still a little there. Then I broke out a can of that wasp spray stuff and got the rest of the nest in revenge.

It's almost over, should be done tomorrow.

Zhukov: Funny, hubby didn't even think to say that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:49:33 PM EDT
As a former house painter, I would never use a wobbly ladder. Go to a rental place and rent a real ladder - one with adjustable feet and a stand-off system. These are much more stable and safe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 5:04:04 AM EDT by Persephone]

Originally Posted By Dano523:
Wife + painting the house????

Lets see, we have gardeners that takes care of the yard, maids that come in and clean the house. Somehow I don't see the wife ever getting close to a can of paint, much less doing the trapeze act on a ladder. As the wife says, there is nothing that can't be solved by just throwing money at the problem to make it go away.

But on the other hand, you did start the project, so looks like you might have to suffer threw on this one.

Scare the bejeezuz out of me + $20 for a can of paint Vs mucho $$$$. I can aford to lose some bejeezuz anyway.

Plus I'm getting a good scrub on the windows and storm windows while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:07:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Must....

suck....

poison.....

from wound....

Any volunteers?
I VOLUNTEER!!!!!!

Top Top