Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 3/8/2010 5:43:13 AM EDT
Learn something new everyday.  I had no idea that they did not play well together.  I use Ibuprofen fairly often and I have high BP thanks to genetics.  

What would be a good substitute for the Ibuprofen that won't jack with my blood pressure?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:45:09 AM EDT
Ask an actual doctor or pharmacist
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:47:53 AM EDT
Where did you read that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:01:26 AM EDT
??  

I'm on more cardiac medicines than I can easily count, and I've never heard that.  My cardiologist specifically stated ibuprofen was GTG.

It was the decongestants (Sudafed etc) that I had to stay away from.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:02:37 AM EDT
My Doc prescribed Meloxicam to wean me off ibuprofen for my arthritis and he was well aware of my blood pressure issues.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:03:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Where did you read that?

I'd like to know too. Ibuprofen is mt NSAID of choice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:05:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Where did you read that?

One of my guys here at work told me that is what his Doc told him.  I did a quick search online and found quite a few articles about it.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Plumbata:
??  

I'm on more cardiac medicines than I can easily count, and I've never heard that.  My cardiolgist specifically stated ibuprofen was GTG.

Damn, that sucks cuz my doc told me to stay away from all nsaids, especially ibu. My bp seems to do what it wants anyway, low one day then high the next. Sounds like they don't know if ibu does or not. Definitely puts a whoopin on the belly though.

It was the decongestants (Sudafed etc) that I had to stay away from.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:11:09 AM EDT
http://www.drugs.com/naproxen.html

I used to take motrin on my workout days to help with the slight inflamation in my shoulder, once it started tearing up my tomach, my doc moved me to Naproxen....

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:24:56 AM EDT
How about real aspirin?  It's all I use, and it's a vaso-dialator, so you should get lower blood pressure with it.  I never went with the manufactured pain-killers...real aspirin is still hard to beat, IMO...but what do I know?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:30:15 AM EDT
From what I have read the ibuprofen fights BP meds.... counteracts them I guess.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:30:46 AM EDT
I take Exedrin for headaches..no effect on BP AFAIK
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:33:53 AM EDT
Won't real Asprin cause liver and kidney problems if used for a long period of time
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:44:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By skinart82:
Won't real Asprin cause liver and kidney problems if used for a long period of time

They now think it leads to hearing loss as well.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:50:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By skinart82:

I think that's Tylenol (acetominaphen).

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:00:27 AM EDT
I worked for a generics pharma company that made the "liqui-gel" form of ibuprofen.  Normal ibuprofen is the active ingredient bonded to a salt so that it's in a stable powder form for tablets.  The ligui-gel doesn't need a stable powder, as it's dissolved in a liquid, so it's specifically not the salt form.  My understanding is that it's the salt form that messes with blood pressure as it's a salt, like table salt, and can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure.  So, if you have to use ibuprofen, maybe try the liqui-gel stuff.

On the other hand, I have high BP and use Diovan daily to control it.  All pain relievers, aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen, etc. are contraindicated according to the Novartis website.  I use normal generic ibuprofen tablets weekly and monitor my BP and haven't seen a problem.  So, I think the problems with anti-inflammatory drugs may not be an absolute thing, but just on how it affects your body.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 8:06:58 AM EDT by brickeyee]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Excedrin's 'special ingredient' is caffeine, good for raising BP and apparently somewhat synergistic with aspirin.

Pseudophed's active ingredient is pseudoephedrine a well known BP increaser (it is related to amphetamines ans used to make methamphetamine (and that will really drive your BP up).
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:12:32 AM EDT
You should rotate meds anyway, it's not a good idea to take the same nsaid all the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:19:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brickeyee:

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Excedrin's 'special ingredient' is caffeine, good for raising BP and apparently somewhat synergistic with aspirin.

Pseudophed's active ingredient is pseudoephedrine a well known BP increaser (it is related to amphetamines ans used to make methamphetamine (and that will really drive your BP up).

A doctor told me that caffeine will increase your heart rate, but BP-not so much.

Just about any antihistamine will spike BP.

Top Top