Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
Between this and afew other boards I go to, here in ARFCOM land, I have noticed that some if not "more than afew" think knowledge is based almost entirley on "post count"...

Is this true?

It happened to me on a Q&A that someone posted.  A person came back to me and said, "people who have been around here longer are more knowledgable.".  I noticed it in the hangun boards too...  Someone said to another, "be it that you have a low post count...".  

Now, I have been around AR's for about 18+ years.  I have "plinked" with them in highschool, "used" them in the service (well their varients) & I have owned my own for the past 6 years.  Not to mention my friends that have all used & had & have them.  I am not saying that I am an expert, by any means, but I can say that just because my "ARFCOM post count" is low doesn't mean I have no knowledge.

I was on ARFCOM before & lurked for a year before I got on then.  After my membership was cancelled, I lurked for another year before coming back afew months ago.

My question is simple...  Do you snub another members questions or comments based on their post count?  

I personally don't even look at the post count, to me it just means that they spend to much time on the computer...lol.  

What say ye?  How do you judgge other members (paying or not)?
P.S. If this is to be moved, so be it.  But I feel it pertains to all the boards.  Just a simple question about members for members...
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
As with friendship, I believe it's the quality that counts, not the duration, in this case, post counts.
One with 10000 post counts that consist mostly of general discussions only means he has posted that many times, substance (or the lack thereof) notwithstanding.  To that end, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

I respect those that post stuff I often read and learn from, so happens they do have fairly high post counts (well explains how I get to read their posts frequently).  These are the same folks that post mostly, if not exclusively, in the technical forums, not GD.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Between this and afew other boards I go to, here in ARFCOM land, I have noticed that some if not "more than afew" think knowledge is based almost entirley on "post count"...

Is this true?...

Yes...yes it is Mr. 59.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The mere fact you're from Michigan gives you additional smart points, no matter what your post count.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been a member of another board for about 6 years. It's crashed a few times, and so I only have, I don't know, around 800 posts. In reality, I have something like 8000 on that board, and there are members who have WAY more than I do. Personally I don't post much anymore on ANY board. I've never really been into AR's so this board has been great for information.

I do not judge people by the number of posts they have. I judge them on their responses, and how they treat other members. I've never liked snobs or the 'this is correct and your an idiot if you think otherwise' guys. I mean, how hard is it to be civil? I really appreciate all the great information and help I've received here so far. I've bought some parts from members and have been nothing but thrilled with what I've received. Post counts mean nada to me, other than a way of judging who has been 'around' the longest...and likely that's not correct.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I do not judge people by the number of posts they have. I judge them on their responses, and how they treat other members. I've never liked snobs or the 'this is correct and your an idiot if you think otherwise' guys. I mean, how hard is it to be civil? I really appreciate all the great information and help I've received here so far. I've bought some parts from members and have been nothing but thrilled with what I've received. Post counts mean nada to me, other than a way of judging who has been 'around' the longest...and likely that's not correct.

+1

I've seen trolls that should be banned (other forums), one that comes to mind has a 10,000+ post count. Im talking this guy posts an average of 35 posts a day (the forum tells everyones post average per day) and he'll make anywheres from 5 to 10 new threads a day. About 60% of the forum completely hates him. The rest either think he's funny or admire him for trolling so cleverly that he never gets banned. Over 10k posts and has yet to contribute anything worthwhile to the forum.

Take me for example, my post count is pretty decent yet 99% of the people on this board knows more about ARs and guns then me .
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There are people with both high and low post counts that have something to offer.  I just wouldn't worry about the ones that don't help out.  I wouldn't snub anyone if their input is logical and helpful and makes enough sense to me to take into consideration.

It's that way in real life too, out at work, etc., you know what I mean.  

If I told everyone I was from Tennessee, that would for damn sure kill all my smart points.....crap, shouldn't have let that out!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is this true?

+1 (just to get my post count up)

I agree, too much is based on post counts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Between this and afew other boards I go to, here in ARFCOM land, I have noticed that some if not "more than afew" think knowledge is based almost entirley on "post count"... Is this true?

Don't sweat it "Kirbage".  I too have a low post count.  :-)

Mark LaRue
www.laruetactical.com

ETA - (sic) karbage.

39 40, back in your hole!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1 (did I do that right?)  :-)

M. LaRue

Yes, but the old-school smiley is quite telling of one's lack of ARFCOM postage time.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
There are some here that have astronomical post counts, but I wouldn't trust their AR knowledge (or even firearms knowledge for that matter).  There are some that see Arfcom as  more of world event/BS discussion group.  They post a lot on those subjects, rarely venture into the tech side, and don't stay long when they do.  There are more than a few college students/basement dwelling tinfoil hatters that seem to exist only to post on Arfcom.
Then there are some that don't post much at all, but I will make it a point to listen when they do.
I'm on my third screen name here, so I know better than to just make an assumption based on post count and I had fewer than 200 posts on this name until about this time last year.  If I see something that looks like trolling or just manure spreading then I might look at the post count to make a guess about the poster.  But that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The opposite can be said with people with very high post counts. How many times you've said something doesn't matter if it's all crap.

I'm a quality over quantity main myself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Not true - nobody listens to me.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I disagree.

I'm one of the smartest people I know and my post count isn't very high!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I tend to look at folks screen name instead.

There are alot of people here I have never met but I bet I could come up with 30 or 40 screen names off the top of my head.

I does kind of favor those with a high post count,  but sometimes not.

Here's an easy one for you guys,  Who had SEC.

Who want's to put an erect penis on another mans cheek and post pics on the internet.

Either one of these would have been memorable even if the posters didn't have hight post counts.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
So what were you banned for the first time around?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The great thing about ARFCOM is post count really doesn't matter.

If you post bullshit , whether it is with your 40,000th post or your 4th your will be called on it.

If you post the truth.....you will get respect.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you post bullshit , whether it is with your 40,000th post or your 4th your will be called on it.

Bullshit!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit!

lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I dont know squat.

I've got twice your posts, and know even less.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
*tap tap*  Is this thing on? (echo)  Really? (echo)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont know squat.

I've got twice your posts, and know even less.

Shit I'm too dumb to do the math to see how dumb that all makes me.

[you got twice his, but 4 times mine, carry the 2 divide by 4 .......]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quality, not quantity my good man.

There are multiple members with post counts in the 5-digit range whose posts are nothing but useless drivel.  Drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Is this true?

It happened to me on a Q&A that someone posted.  A person came back to me and said, "people who have been around here longer are more knowledgable.".  I noticed it in the hangun boards too...  Someone said to another, "be it that you have a low post count...".  

Now, I have been around AR's for about 18+ years.  I have "plinked" with them in highschool, "used" them in the service (well their varients) & I have owned my own for the past 6 years.  Not to mention my friends that have all used & had & have them.  I am not saying that I am an expert, by any means, but I can say that just because my "ARFCOM post count" is low doesn't mean I have no knowledge.

I was on ARFCOM before & lurked for a year before I got on then.  After my membership was cancelled, I lurked for another year before coming back afew months ago.

My question is simple...  Do you snub another members questions or comments based on their post count?  

I personally don't even look at the post count, to me it just means that they spend to much time on the computer...lol.  

What say ye?  How do you judgge other members (paying or not)?
P.S. If this is to be moved, so be it.  But I feel it pertains to all the boards.  Just a simple question about members for members...

Pipe down Mr. "I only have 59 posts".

You don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quality, not quantity my good man.

There are multiple members with post counts in the 5-digit range whose posts are nothing but useless drivel.  Drives me nuts.

Whew....I had to count the numbers in my post count to make sure you weren't talking about me.

[useless drivel above]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I've talked to people with less than 100 that know more than those with over 10k,  I guess it depends on what the people have knowledge in.  You could sit here all day, every day and put "+1" on every thread but not know a damn thing about anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#34]
It seems like post count often get's confused with credibility, when in actuality it may just be people that have entirely way too much time on their hands.

There are quite a few that are extremely knowledgable and it has nothing to do with their post counts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
It's like this on every board I'm on. Less so on the boards with smaller populations, but it happens everywhere.

Some folks suffer from the affliction of verbal diarrhea and others don't.

I hardly ever post, but love all of the good tech info I find here.

If folks discount my posts because of my low post count it's no skin off my nose.

Whatever.

Cheers,
Chris

edited to say- I'd actually be more inclined to look at how long someone has been on the board than post count, but hey... That's just me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You could sit here all day, every day and put "+1" on every thread but not know a damn thing about anything.

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:

Don't sweat it "Kirbage".  I too have a low post count.  :-)

Mark LaRue
www.laruetactical.com

ETA - (sic) karbage.

LaRue Tactical representing for the Great State of Texas headbang.gif

I have an extremely low post count, can I get LaRue Hat or beer koozie for it?

(not trying to troll or mess up your thread kirbage)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The mere fact you're from Michigan gives you additional smart points, no matter what your post count.

Only in threads about driving on icy roads.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So what were you banned for the first time around?

I had some things for sale in the EE & I posted a link to it in a different board.  I was instantly locked and banned...  But then as I lurked for the nect year, I reported other members (paying members) who were doing the same thing, to Ed SR...  Nothing happened to them, they just kept on doing it & I recieved an email from the moderators ayingthat they would never unlock my screen name for such a harh violation of the conduct rules...   Harh violation?  I posted a link-  Of which was my first ever violation on ARFCOM (after 600 posts...LMAO )  & I never knew of the rule.

Anyways, that was it...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Keep an eye on this one STAFF, he's a subversive and dissin your über-high post counts…

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
what it amounts to is just part of the club.

people tend to trust the insane rantings of folks they have seen post in high volumes. like it or not there are as many clueless assholes with high posts counts than low counts.

then there are the uber elite top 10, i am somewhat proud to be, on here with post counts at obscene levels. We rule the planet and use the illuminati to do our dirty work. we know all and see all. When you break 30000 posts the secrets of the universe are revealed.

Looking at TBS's post count in awe.....

So, what's it like to have your ass permanently affixed to your chair?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:03:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I noticed that Larue guy has a VERY low post count--I bet he doesn't know anything about firearms.  No way--he couldn't.  

And he's from TX.  Another big -1 because he's not from Dallas.

And what kind of poster puts TACTICAL in his name????

TXL
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what it amounts to is just part of the club.

people tend to trust the insane rantings of folks they have seen post in high volumes. like it or not there are as many clueless assholes with high posts counts than low counts.

then there are the uber elite top 10, i am somewhat proud to be, on here with post counts at obscene levels. We rule the planet and use the illuminati to do our dirty work. we know all and see all. When you break 30000 posts the secrets of the universe are revealed.

Looking at TBS's post count in awe.....

So, what's it like to have your ass permanently affixed to your chair?

lets just say i get paid VERY well to sit here and post all day at work

You a systems admin too?

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Hell, I hardly ever post in the tech forums.  99% of my posts are here in GD.  Why?  Simple:  I know that those boards have people on them with 100 times my knowledge, so I choose to listen and learn rather than talk and blather on with speculation, touting rumors I see as fact.  Given that GD is more of an open forum not requiring a great deal of firearm knowledge, I just fit in here a little better and can chat it up without supposition or sounding like an idiot by pretending to be smart in things I haven't a clue about.  

If it were time versus post count per forum, anyone could clearly see my logged time is 99% technical forums - yet the majority of my posts are here in GD.  And if someone wants to judge me off of those statistics, more power to them!  Just shows how little they really do know about me.  

I could give a damn about what my post count says.  I don't post +1's, IBTL's, or laughing emoticons every chance I get, so my post count isn't really high.  I don't think that makes me less knowledgeable than anyone else here.  But then there are some--SteyerAug, John_Wayne77, Old_Painless, and a few others come immediately to mind--that I will read and study ANYTHING they post simply because they astound me with their insights.  I couldn't tell you what their post count is.

Then there are others who have 6 posts and they are all extremely inflamatory, shit-stirring posts, and they make themselves obvious as repeat accounts under different screen names.  Trolls just doing it because they derive some sick pleasure in stirring the pot after being banned for...  Yep, stirring the pot.  I know for a FACT there are at about 20 I have identified, and that is a very modest estimate.  VERY modest.  

So yes, I do pay attention to post count - but at the same time, no, I do not.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top