Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:29:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought this was another New Orleans thread!  You know, racoons moving to higher ground kind of coons in the backyard thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I thought this was another New Orleans thread!  You know, racoons moving to higher ground kind of coons in the backyard thing.

im glad i wasnt the first to say it

second will do
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Consider yourself lucky...I've got more than that that recently walked over from New Orleans.....I ain't feedin' 'em.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Talk about a wide open shot....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll soon have 20 coons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
first IBTL

EDITED...
IBTL Takeback...Read wrong
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
When coons used to get on the back porch, momma used to chase 'em off with a broom.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
first IBTL

second
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread isn't going to last to long.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
There goes the neighborhood!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I seriously doubt dog food will hurt a raccoon.  Get a couple of them over to the taxidermists and have them mounted drinking from a beer/whisky/Tito's bottle, then put them in the party barn.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
IBTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'OH,nevermind-I read your post.

There is an old man here,in his 80's,that feeds all sorts of critters.His wife died a couple years ago and they had no kids.He still lives on his farm.

But I digress,He goes thru 120lbs of catfood a week.Puts it out in buckets.Has raccoons,opossums,skunks,and of course cats eating on his back porch.He just sits in his chair and watches.I told him he'll be in trouble when the food runs out someday.

None of the animals fight either-they all show up,eat,then leave.Wierdest shit I've seen.

ETA-Damn I need to type faster!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that you have fed them, you may have a raccoon commune living in your yard before you know it. Not really a good idea, they can cause all sorts of mischief. You could live trap them and bring them to your nearest wilderness area, and release them. That's what I always do. the most humane thing really. Racoons that live near humans often come to a premature end, sadly.

The live traps here are around $30,  the city may loan them for a deposit if you live in a municipality.

AS far as dog food, racoons are much like goats. they can live on damn near anything.

Refreshing to see someone not trying to just kill everything in sight fo no good reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dammit, I got here too late.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Must....Not...Make...Racist...Comment....

Urge.....Strong.....blood vessel on forehead....pounding....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you ever see the Great Outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Dog food won't hurt them at all. Soon you won't be able to get rid of them. They will tear up all kinds of shit trying to get more to eat.  You better get rid of them. A raccoon is nothing but a glorified rat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Must....Not...Make...Racist...Comment....

Urge.....Strong.....blood vessel on forehead....pounding....

good......good....atta boy....breath......exhale.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Now that you have fed them, you may have a raccoon commune living in your yard before you know it. Not really a good idea, they can cause all sorts of mischief. You could live trap them and bring them to your nearest wilderness area, and release them. That's what I always do. the most humane thing really. Racoons that live near humans often come to a premature end, sadly.

The live traps here are around $30,  the city may loan them for a deposit if you live in a municipality.

AS far as dog food, racoons are much like goats. they can live on damn near anything.

Refreshing to see someone not trying to just kill everything in sight fo no good reason.

He's going to make hats out of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]
as I type, there is one (a big one!) rolling my trash barrel around trying to get into it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend of mine had a pet coon for years.  He would fuck with it by giving it a sugar cube.  The coon would take it to its waterbowl to wet it before he ate it.  You know what a sugar cube does in water.  The coon would go berzerk looking for that sugar cube.

So, put a bowl of water out there and a few sugar cubes.....................
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I seriously doubt dog food will hurt a raccoon.  Get a couple of them over to the taxidermists and have them mounted drinking from a beer/whisky/Tito's bottle, then put them in the party barn.  

or drinking colt 45?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Since my divorce,
TRG

When did you and ILL separate?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is gonna fry soon.

Funny though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had a pet coon for years.  He would fuck with it by giving it a sugar cube.  The coon would take it to its waterbowl to wet it before he ate it.  You know what a sugar cube does in water.  The coon would go berzerk looking for that sugar cube.

That sounds like a hoot. I will have to try that with the coons at my cousins house. Coons are a pest but they are kinda cool. They are smart and can cause trouble.

Talking about keeping wild critters as pets, do you guys remember when you could get a skunk descented? It seems now that you can't do that.

It's crazy here in TN you can shoot skunks all year, but ya can't catch the lil ones and have the descented and keep them. They are just like a fluffy black and white weasel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Gotta cultivate the crop to make them fit my head.

TRG

From what I've heard round here,ya ought to be looking into polar bears then-raccoons don't get near big enough!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Nobody has complained about the subject line yet?  Somebody must be offended.
matthew
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#37]

I was using one of those havaheart traps. The racoons were too strong for it and bent it up getting out. It went on for years. I really had to hold back the cat food and not leave any out at night or they would get it. They even torn a few kitten heads off so the wild cats learned not to leave kittens around the barn. Then they finally started getting weak from not getting their fill of cat food. They couldn't break out of the trap anymore. I got four in less than a week, including a really old ugly looking one. Now I have kittens running all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Young raccoons in the dumpster at work are cute, fuzzy, and in need of assistance.
We helped them out of it, and they found their way back home....
to the roof of our machine shop.  Tore the insulation out, etc.

Not to be fooled twice, when I caught one in my yard knocking
over garbage cans and tearing into trash bags......

NO, the dead varmint isn't one of the ones from the dumpster.
The photos were taken a year apart.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Raccoons are smart, crafty, and frequently troublesome.

These wild animals can mistake intentions and take a swipe at you or bite you causing an infection. They also can carry fleas and rabies.

Each year, health departments issue warnings about establishment of rabies in this species with  public health concerns about an increased risk for rabies transmission to the human population because the raccoons are well adapted to living at unusually high densities in urban and suburban environments. Texas in particular has had it's problems with fox and raccoon rabies.

"There is no cure for rabies," said Dr. Fandrich a public health official.  "If a human being contracts rabies, they die. So you don't want to take chances with your lives or your family's lives."

Know the risk of interacting with seemingly "tame" wildlife that you invite close to your home.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"There is no cure for rabies," said Dr. Fandrich a public health official.  "If a human being contracts rabies, they die. So you don't want to take chances with your lives or your family's lives."

For the first time in recorded history, a girl just this past year SURVIVED
rabies infection without treatment.

She was diagnosed, but already testing positive for symptoms.
Too late for the standard rabies shots.

She got pretty sick, but was kept alive in a coma I believe.

Last I heard, she recovered.

edit:  msnbc.msn.com/id/6574816/
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Nobody has complained about the subject line yet?  Somebody must be offended.
matthew

Made me laugh, especially with them shipping all refugees into our area now
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I feed them every night. they realy like sun flower seed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Draw down on them racoons.

Max
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd feed them a .22, but that's me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#47]
i heard a story about a KA fraternity somewhere in GA that had some coons around the house.  Well, one night they saw a coon acting erraticly outside, so they shot it and decided to feed it to the pledges.  they all got rabies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm sooooooo going to waste one and have it mounted drinking out of a JD bottle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#49]
we used to use dog food in feeders for raccoons to be able to find them easier for training coon hounds and it never seemed to affect them in any adverse way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top