Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/12/2006 7:53:01 PM EDT
So please save your breath trying to talk me out of it... I've matured and have come to realize that I would not have regretted my decision had I done it when I first wanted to, and therefore realize it's time to lay down the gauntlet and do the deed. I would only be further depriving myself of something I've wanted for so long, and I'm old enough, wise enough, and mature enough to make this decision without hearing from any nay sayers...

I am here for some input though...

I've remained fairly consistent in what I want my tat to be. Some form a symbol of the Sun, likely in a tribal form. I've seen many great ideas and I like that I can incorporate other ideas into it b/c of it's design, shape, etc. as time passes and I may choose to ammend to the original.

So I find myself a good artist. I set on a price. Does anyone have any other significantly important information you can share with a tattoonewbe to get things going smoothly?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:55:29 PM EDT
Just go get it done, good stuff. I have 4 dont regret any of them. Though my parents do Girlfriend loves um though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:58:04 PM EDT
Remember, its a permanent reminder of what could be a temporary feeling.

Tribal? What tribe?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:03:12 PM EDT
Get one that means something to you...

I have 2 for "identification" purposes only....

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:04:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RustedAce:
... Girlfriend loves um though.

they sure do..... and the scars help too.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:05:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:05:56 PM EDT
They're just another way for the government or other forces to identify and track you. I choose to pull my teeth for no dental records, shave off my finger pads, dye my hair and wear a pancho mustache.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:07:19 PM EDT
I've made it to 43 without any tats. Don't think I'll start now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:34:23 PM EDT
I got an Airborne tattoo just after I graduated from Jump School. I figured that I will never be ashamed that I served in the Airborne, and will never be ashamed of an Airborne tattoo either. That was back in 92 and I am still proud of it. So much so that I added my star and wreath (Master Parachutist) to it about four years ago.

My only advice is to make sure that when you are 65 years old and your great grandson asks you what your tattoo means, you can proudly explain it to him.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:57:37 PM EDT
What tribe are you in, Chad?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:02:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:07:53 PM EDT
When I got mine they were not fashionable, funny how times change
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 9:16:59 PM EDT by METT-T]
The only tattoo I ever saw that I liked enough to get was of a black panther. I don't think I can get a black panther tattoo.

Oh, I also had a buddy in the military who had a big Confederate flag on his arm with a banner across it reading "The Right To Keep And Bear Arms". That was pretty sweet. I don't think I've ever seen another tat that so succintly expressed one's self.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:21:18 PM EDT
Eat before you go and bring some gaterade/powerade with ya. Other than that - emjoy the ride and start to prepare for your next - it will happen.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:22:37 PM EDT
My advice is to shop around for a GOOD artist, if Miami isn't too far there are great artist from the show Miami Ink. Other than that just make sure you find an artist that you can communicate well with, makes you comfortable and has a good portfolio. Also beware tattoos are addictive! Also it's your body, your life, fuck what other people think, they don't make you happy, you make you happy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:28:34 PM EDT
I heard the number one tatoo of inmates is "born to lose" ... whatever you pick, will you want to carry that label in ten years?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:03:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
What tribe are you in, Chad?

+87

In about 10 years, owning a laser tatoo removal chain will be a pretty good business.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 3:18:02 AM EDT by Sukebe]

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

I've remained fairly consistent in what I want my tat to be. Some form a symbol of the Sun, likely in a tribal form...

You were born for ink. Hurry up and get that tribal tattoo so you can start deciding where to put the kanji that you are sure to get next. Don't forget to leave room on one of your arms for the barbed wire.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:04 AM EDT
I recommend you get the "Scary Pirate" tattoo.

You really can't go wrong with the Scary Pirate tattoo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:10:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Concrete_Brunette:
My advice is to shop around for a GOOD artist, if Miami isn't too far there are great artist from the show Miami Ink. Other than that just make sure you find an artist that you can communicate well with, makes you comfortable and has a good portfolio. Also beware tattoos are addictive! Also it's your body, your life, fuck what other people think, they don't make you happy, you make you happy.

well put.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:32:01 AM EDT
I have two - a Blue Dragon on one shoulder (hence my nom-de-plume) and a Celtic knot/yin yang on the other shoulder. The next will be something incorporating my kid's names.

As mentioned before, eat before you go. My dragon took four hours to finish.

Get some lubriderm to keep the tat moist - I believe Vaseline is a no-no.

It will feel like a sunburn after it is done. A little painful and itchy, but not too bad.

One more word of advice - NEVER get a wife/girlfriend's name tattooed on your body. That is the surest way to invoke the wrath of Herr Murphy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:36:05 AM EDT
since i can't talk you out of it...

make a temporary one with henny or india ink and "live with it" and refine it to the point you like it.
find and pay for a real artist to do the work. don't settle for buba. it won't be cheap but nothing good is. good luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT by Cincinnatus]
Actually, here's some serious advice.

It is better to get a tattoo that is too big, than to get one that is too small.

Later in life, you will look at the "too big" tattoo and think, "Boy, I sure was an irresponsible, wildman..."

But if you get one that you later in life consider to be "too small", you will look at it and think, "Man, I was such a pussy..."
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:45:16 AM EDT by Will-Rogers]
Are you going to take up smoking and DWI, too?

What brand of mobile home do you live in?

Would you want your children to hang around the sort of people who find tats cool?

What jobs do you want to disqualify yourself from?

How about a picture of a pet rock?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:44:01 AM EDT
I have both wrists tattoo'd and both arms above the elboy.

I can't tell you the last time I even noticed that they are there.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:51:15 AM EDT by PlaymoreMinds]

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:

Normals and tattooed freaks, in other words.

Tattooed mother,wife of 20 years,Army Veteran,homeowner,taxpayer,responsible adult, who also exercises, eats right, "freak" checking in.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:52:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheTracker:

Same here. When I got my tattoos, there weren't many of us with tattoos. Now it seems like there are more people with tattoos than without. Unless you get something that means something to you and is VERY unique, I say welcome to the flock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT by TRW]

Originally Posted By The_Friendly_Sponge:
I've made it to 43 without any tats. Don't think I'll start now.

+1

I've made it to 46 without any tats. Don't think I'll start now either.

THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE UN-TATTOOED
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:57:02 AM EDT

If you've thought about it that long and still like the idea, go for it.

Tribal? Ugh. How passe'. EVERYBODY has one. About as unique as pimples on teenagers.

I've never had one and never will. To me there are just two major classes of people in the world:

Those who think their bodies are fine the way they are, without modifications or extra markings.

Those who want to do something to their bodies to change its appearance other than exercise and reasonably healthy living habits.

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.....it's just not my thing.

Tattoos on pretty women can't make the woman prettier. They MIGHT make her less pretty, though.
It bothers me to see a beautiful woman with a tattoo.
It's rather distressing if her tattoo is an ugly one, too.

Tattoos on ugly women MIGHT make them prettier. At least if the tattoo is an attractive design, well executed.

Tattoos on men...have fun. It's not going to offend my sense of aesthetics if a man gets a tattoo, no matter what the man looks like or what the tattoo is.

Perhaps you should look up Masuimi Max
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:20:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Tattooed mother,wife of 20 years,Army Veteran,homeowner,taxpayer,responsible adult, who also exercises, eats right, "freak" checking in.

+1
Tattoed Father and husband of 14 years, Army Vet, land owner, proffessional career, youth sports coach of 7 years, living well, another freak checking in.

"Tattoo = freak as much as Gunowner = criminal"

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:46 AM EDT
My advice would be to shop around with your artists. Dont go to Bubba's uncles friends girlfriends cousin.

Talk to the artist and make sure he or she knows what you want and can do it properly. I would set aside a day to take the design up there and talk about it then set up the day you will get it done.

When he puts the stencil on make double sure its exactly where you want it and not tilted a little or a bit off center. You will regret it.

Follow the after care directions perfectly and for the whole time he tells you. I used A & D ointment on mine for a month and its looks great.

A big part of caring for your tatt is not to itch or peel the skin!

I had my first tatt done about a year ago and I love it! It is extremely addictive so be ready to resist or to get more.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:25:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

Same here. When I got my tattoos, there weren't many of us with tattoos. Now it seems like there are more people with tattoos than without. Unless you get something that means something to you and is VERY unique, I say welcome to the flock.

You act like you're part of some secret culture, as if tattoos haven't been around since ancient civiliation (see Leviticus). You should be glad that tattoos are considered 'fashionable' and be glad that the masses of people getting tattoos make your tattoos more acceptable in modern society rather than admonish people for it. Your tattoos are no more special just b/c you got them a long time ago. It's just body art and nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:26 AM EDT

It's just body art and nothing more.

To you.

To me its part of my heritage and my familes history. We are all tattooed to some extent. It is part of who we are and have been for several hundred years. To some its just art, to others its history. For some its also about honoring those before us.

Whether or not you believe or understand those things is not important. But understand there are other reasons.
CH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT by dalesimpson]

You act like you're part of some secret culture, as if tattoos haven't been around since ancient civiliation (see Leviticus). You should be glad that tattoos are considered 'fashionable' and be glad that the masses of people getting tattoos make your tattoos more acceptable in modern society rather than admonish people for it. Your tattoos are no more special just b/c you got them a long time ago. It's just body art and nothing more.

I felt like I was part of some semi-exclusive fraternity, not like now where every other son of a bitch you see on the street has one. What the fuck is your problem that you feel you have to attack me for what I said anyway??? And for the record, I liked my tattoos more when they were less acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:40:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

+1
Tattoed Father and husband of 14 years, Army Vet, land owner, proffessional career, youth sports coach of 7 years, living well, another freak checking in.

"Tattoo = freak as much as Gunowner = criminal"

+1

I wear long sleeves... a lot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:11:29 AM EDT

I felt like I was part of some semi-exclusive fraternity, not like now where every other son of a bitch you see on the street has one. What the fuck is your problem that you feel you have to attack me for what I said anyway??? And for the record, I liked my tattoos more when they were less acceptable.

Sorry for coming off like an attack, but my point was that you shouldn't be angry just b/c people have caught onto something that you did before them, but rather, you should welcome them. That would be like saying that you bought a pair of red shoes before red shoes were popular, and then got mad b/c lots of other people started wearing red shoes too. Like you said, it made you feel part of something (like a fraternity). You can't hold it against people for doing the same as you, nor should you have gotten a tattoo thinking that you so called 'semi-exclusive' fraternity would suddenly close it's doors to the rest of the world. The fact that you liked your tattoos more when they were less acceptable is an interesting statement about your character.

As far as the comment about 'just being artwork'... I agree that there are exceptions, for example, when it comes to certain heritages or when honoring the memories of peoples lives, or as a symbol of some important part of your life (like being in the military, or any other organization). However, I guess I see more of the 'snakes' and 'skulls' and 'daggers' and whatnot that people get b/c it's 'cool', and not necessarily trendy which is the category I would fall in. I like the idea of getting a personalized tattoo b/c I like the artistic idea of it and the originality of knowing that nobody will have the same exact tattoo as the one I would have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:00 AM EDT
Tattoos are gay. Only whores and weirdos get them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT

I like the idea of getting a personalized tattoo b/c I like the artistic idea of it and the originality of knowing that nobody will have the same exact tattoo as the one I would have.

Good advice.
None of mine will you find in any book.
CH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:24:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hatebreed:

Classic!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:28:57 AM EDT

Sorry for coming off like an attack, but my point was that you shouldn't be angry just b/c people have caught onto something that you did before them, but rather, you should welcome them. That would be like saying that you bought a pair of red shoes before red shoes were popular, and then got mad b/c lots of other people started wearing red shoes too. Like you said, it made you feel part of something (like a fraternity). You can't hold it against people for doing the same as you, nor should you have gotten a tattoo thinking that you so called 'semi-exclusive' fraternity would suddenly close it's doors to the rest of the world. The fact that you liked your tattoos more when they were less acceptable is an interesting statement about your character.

As far as the comment about 'just being artwork'... I agree that there are exceptions, for example, when it comes to certain heritages or when honoring the memories of peoples lives, or as a symbol of some important part of your life (like being in the military, or any other organization). However, I guess I see more of the 'snakes' and 'skulls' and 'daggers' and whatnot that people get b/c it's 'cool', and not necessarily trendy which is the category I would fall in. I like the idea of getting a personalized tattoo b/c I like the artistic idea of it and the originality of knowing that nobody will have the same exact tattoo as the one I would have.

Sorry for over-reacting. My point was that I liked my tattoos more when I was one of the few. I am not one to follow the flock, but now I feel like one of the yuppie sheeple and I don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:13 AM EDT

Sorry for over-reacting. My point was that I liked my tattoos more when I was one of the few. I am not one to follow the flock, but now I feel like one of the yuppie sheeple and I don't like it.

Get "ARFCOM ARMY" inked accross your forehead. Should fix your problem!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:11 AM EDT

Great idea!!! But can I get AK47.net instead?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:39:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 11:39:40 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Great idea!!! But can I get AK47.net instead?

absolutley!!

BTW, I really like the avitar!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:51:18 AM EDT
ever noticed people with lots of tattoos hang out with other people with lots of tattoos? it's almost like they belong to some type of tribe?

I like to look at the tattoo magazines when Im at Barnes and Noble just for curiosity, some people have the weirdest un speakable tattoos you can imagine, it's really crazy / weird that a person woukd do that to their body.

I also notied they put the tattoo magazines right next to the High Times and body piercing mags

most people that get tattoos do seem to be on the wild side
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:53:35 AM EDT
what tribe you in?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:05:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arfreak74:
what tribe you in?

What army are you in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 12:19:20 PM EDT by Alien]
Tribal is gay. Seriously if you get a "tribal" tattoo, you will literally be branded gay for life. If you are going to get something, at least get something cool and somewhat original. I have seen some cool tattoos that I liked. However, I personally don't think I'll ever get one, but if I did it'd probably be something like my avatar (the creature from Alien/Aliens). Some people seem to get them for the wrong reasons (attention whore or god forbid gang related).

I don't particularly care for them on women, but it's not a deal breaker or anything as long as they aren't tasteless, numerous, and awful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:22:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hatebreed:

Which one are you? I know, I know, .... Both.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:39:42 PM EDT
You can't go wrong with a big eagle on the bicep.
It's a classic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
gosharongo.com/plurabellahtml/

here is the most amazing artist i've come across....too bad he's in Ohio but none the less maybe it will give you inspiration or ideas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top