Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2011 6:06:34 PM EST
...and I really like it.

Is there a reason other than price, why we feed cows grains they never evolved to eat?

For reference, USDA Prime ribeye at my local Giant Eagle is $12/lb. The grass fed equivalent at Whole Foods is $17/lb, locally. I know very little about the beef industry, but it's my understanding that grass fed cattle take a considerable amount of time to reach market size, whereas grain fed cows do not. I guess this partly explains the price difference. Wow though, this shit tastes great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:07:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 6:08:05 PM EST by Mclovin5-0]
I don't often eat beef, but when I do, I eat grass fed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:09:45 PM EST
Cows grow faster on corn, they also marble up nicer. The market pays per lb and usda grades are based on how the meat looks, nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:12:09 PM EST
My understanding is that ALL cattle are grass fed and just sent to a feed lot and fed grain for the last few months of their life, save for the ones that are destined to be "grass fed" beef.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:12:19 PM EST
Where I live you can stick 100 cows in a quarter acre and feed'm or you can run 1 cow per...Ohhh, 7-10 acres and have grass fed.

Get up in the panhandle and it can get as high as 1 cow per 20 acres. Compared to sticking them all in a little pen and shoveling the corn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:15:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By JakeThePimp:
Cows grow faster on corn, they also marble up nicer. The market pays per lb and usda grades are based on how the meat looks, nothing more.

Yep, it takes a lot longer to feed out cattle to slaughtering weight on grass than on grain. It is all about pounds gained per unit of time.

I really want to feed out a steer to see the difference in taste...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:17:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By Subnet:
...and I really like it.

Is there a reason other than price, why we feed cows grains they never evolved to eat?

For reference, USDA Prime ribeye at my local Giant Eagle is $12/lb. The grass fed equivalent at Whole Foods is $17/lb, locally. I know very little about the beef industry, but it's my understanding that grass fed cattle take a considerable amount of time to reach market size, whereas grain fed cows do not. I guess this partly explains the price difference. Wow though, this shit tastes great.

Bovines have always eaten grain. WTF is with people who have no clue making statements like "why we feed cows grain they never evolved to eat?"

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:17:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By yekimak:
My understanding is that ALL cattle are grass fed and just sent to a feed lot and fed grain for the last few months of their life, save for the ones that are destined to be "grass fed" beef.

Most of the large stocker operations run calves on grass and supplement them with grain to condition them for the next step, the feedlot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:21:59 PM EST

I just ordered my first grass (only) beef. I can't wait...

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:22:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Illini75:
...and I really like it.

Bovines have always eaten grain. WTF is with people who have no clue making statements like "why we feed cows grain they never evolved to eat?"

Never large quantities, leaf matter has always made up the majority of their diet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:22:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 6:23:17 PM EST by Subnet]

...and I really like it.

Really. You contend that cows ate corn, during their evolutionary development. Fascinating. And you contend this, realizing that grasses are not grains.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:25:44 PM EST

...and I really like it.

Really. You contend that cows ate corn, during their evolutionary development. Fascinating. And you contend this, realizing that grasses are not grains.

Corn is a grass. Corn grain is a seed. Dont open a can of worms like this. You have stepped far out of your zone of expertise and squarely into mine. You just caught a break. You are welcome.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:26:36 PM EST
...and I really like it.

Almost a years difference between a Corn fed and Grass fed to butcher
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:27:09 PM EST

...and I really like it.

Corn is a grass. Corn grain is a seed. Dont open a can of worms like this. You have stepped far out of your zone of expertise and squarely into mine. You just caught a break. You are welcome.

I see. Nevermind, then.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:27:13 PM EST

...and I really like it.

Care to post your credentials?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:28:16 PM EST

...and I really like it.

All grains ARE grasses, and many grasses are grains.

If you're so worried about sticking to some goofy evolutionary blueprint, though, you really shouldn't be eating cow, which we didn't get until the early Stoneage. Right around the time we started cultivated those tastiest of grasses called 'grain'.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:29:52 PM EST

...and I really like it.

And corn as we know it did not exist.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:30:50 PM EST

...and I really like it.

So you are a corn farmer or a beef farmer?

There is a difference in development and maturity rate between a primarily grass fed steer with some grain and corn and a steer that is sat in a feed lot.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:31:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 6:32:31 PM EST by Subnet]

Originally Posted By Tomislav:

...and I really like it.

All grains ARE grasses, and many grasses are grains.

If you're so worried about sticking to some goofy evolutionary blueprint, though, you really shouldn't be eating cow, which we didn't get until the early Stoneage. Right around the time we started cultivated those tastiest of grasses called 'grain'.

I'm not a reenactor. I'm most interested in reproducing a metabolic state, not getting hung up on what ancient people technically ate.

I eat butter, too (oh teh noes!! They didn't have that back then!!!)

Feel me?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:31:29 PM EST
Tomislav, Subnet, and photokirk? In. Very in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:31:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:32:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Where I live you can stick 100 cows in a quarter acre and feed'm or you can run 1 cow per...Ohhh, 7-10 acres and have grass fed.

Get up in the panhandle and it can get as high as 1 cow per 20 acres. Compared to sticking them all in a little pen and shoveling the corn.
this cows need a lot of land for grass
We have our county fair coming up next month I may need to buy another side of beef

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:33:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
This could be bigger than free range chickens. And tofu!

City people.

I don't touch tofu.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:34:55 PM EST
Love grass fed beef it's all I try to eat.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:36:12 PM EST
less marbled and cooks slower. I might be able to deal with that if it were cheaper, instead of more expensive. When i was a chef i had to deal with an obnoxious grass-beef salesman at least once a month. i had ample opportunity to sample his beef. i rate it "meh"

Its only real benefit is the phenomenon that also makes "organic" such a great product. If i put a fancy description on the menu about how special it is, people will pay more.

Words like "organic", "grass fed", and "locally sourced" are the restaurant industry's version of "green" "hybrid" and "eco-friendly" marketing catch phrases.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:36:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
This could be bigger than free range chickens. And tofu!

City people.

I find it humorous that I like grass fed beef cause I grew up on a small beef farm and we were too poor or cheap to corn feed them and now everyone is all up in arms about feed lot vs grass fed.

All I know is that it takes a a lot less time for a steer to bulk up in a feed lot then it did on the farm and the crazy old French chef that lives up the road liked our beef better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:37:15 PM EST
Wow though, this shit tastes great.

An endorsement slogan that any company would love to have on its products...

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:40:03 PM EST
I've had grass-fed beef and it was a little stringy and not as flavorful (fatty). Thought the same of some grass-fed buffalo.

I would give it another try but there aren't that many restaurants that serve it ...relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:41:38 PM EST
You urban folk sure do get hung up on some of the stupidest things...

Around here our deer are grain fed. And huge.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:42:43 PM EST
You should try free range venison. It is the vast majority of steaks and roast we eat. It's expensive though

Pmc
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By DigDug:

Good job on the fat deer, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By DigDug:

Our deer are poodle-sized. I laugh at the guys that buy .300 WinMags for Texas Whitetails.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:38 PM EST
If it is not Kobe Beef I refuse to eat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:52:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By guntrk:

beef is beef. fuck that. I like cow no matter what you feed it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:57:08 PM EST

You buy much beef from the Kobe prefecture do you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:59:06 PM EST
I'm hungry.

Fuckers!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:01:21 PM EST

...and I really like it.

Cows evolved in Europe, where there was no maize.

Your turn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:02:25 PM EST
LOL

Thats fine, buy your grass fed beef.

Real fine tasting beef is not fed straight corn, but something around a 11% protein content grain mix.

You're buying more hype than you are taste.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:02:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
I've had grass-fed beef and it was a little stringy and not as flavorful (fatty). Thought the same of some grass-fed buffalo.

I would give it another try but there aren't that many restaurants that serve it ...relatively speaking.

Plenty of fat in a pure grass fed cow. We usually slaughter 2 a year and most people can not tell the difference between a pure grass fed or one thats gone to the feed lot. Had some of the wives friends over last week and I cooked some steaks. They were really surprised when I told them they were eating a pure grass fed cow. They expected the same thing, stringy and less flavorful.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:02:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By dcs12345:
...and I really like it.

Never large quantities, leaf matter has always made up the majority of their diet.

Cattle will preferentially eat the grain heads off of grass. Like wheat. This is what makes up a good deal of range cubes.

Developing grain heads are sweet. We eat sweet corn, same thing.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:04:15 PM EST
My grass fed beef is very lean, when you make burgers there is virtually no grease on your hands. And it tastes good!
My cows lead a happy life, then I kill them, butcher them and ENJOY!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:05:32 PM EST

...and I really like it.

Grain is grass seed. All that carbohydrate started out in the leaves of grass as the product of photosynthesis.

Good hay is sweet, most all grasses have a good bit of sugar in the stalks when green.

Straw, on the other hand, has none of this as it is mature, dead hay. Corn rubble post harvest is one type of straw.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:09:55 PM EST
...and I really like it.

It's just marketing, thanks for buying.

Just like the whole "Angus" marketing hype.

There isn't a person on this Earth that can tell the differance between an Angus or a Hereford as far as flavor go's, but it does cost more.

Now Kobe beef? That is a whole differant form of finishing beef right there...

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:15:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 7:18:55 PM EST by stickfigure]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

...and I really like it.

Grain is grass seed. All that carbohydrate started out in the leaves of grass as the product of photosynthesis.

Good hay is sweet, most all grasses have a good bit of sugar in the stalks when green.

Straw, on the other hand, has none of this as it is mature, dead hay. Corn rubble post harvest is one type of straw.

There are typically 4-5 types of grain that are feed to cattle, corn, oats, barely, and wheats, plus a few others.

Good feed is a mixture of all the first 3 mixed with molasses and it's called "cob" (corn, oats, barely), plus added minerals and vitamins.

This is a finishing feed or an energy feed.

There are typically two types of hay, range "grass" hay and alfalfa, which is a darker richer hay.

Cows first evolved to eat range grasses, and once agriculture was developed about 12-15 thousand years ago, and they were domesticated about 10 thousand years ago, they were given grains to sustain them through the winters.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By USMC6177:

You buy much beef from the Kobe prefecture do you?

Not anymore, with the Radiation and all.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:23 PM EST
Been eating grass fed beef for about 20 years. I get it from a small ranch in NE Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:52 PM EST
Almost all of the food value of ANYTHING a ruminant eats goes to feed an impressive colony of microbes. These microbes then secrete waste products, mostly fatty acids which the animal absorbs as the primary energy source.

Feeding grains just means less food is necessary. Dietary fiber is still fed to keep the digestive systems in check and provide a substrate for the microbes.

Most of the amino acids the animal needs come from digestion of the microbes . Unlike monogastrics (single stomach animals), the bulk of the feces is indigestible plant matter. A monogastric's fecal matter is mostly dead bacteria.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:18:41 PM EST
High quality beef is high quality beef, doesn't matter if it's corn, grain or grass fed. If it's a good cut that's fresh and marbled well, doesn't matter what the cow ate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:21:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By badfish274:
Tomislav, Subnet, and photokirk? In. Very in.

Titans gather. Do they prepare to assault Olympus?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:21:44 PM EST
Yes cattle will select seed heads, but as a percentage, roughage makes up a larger portion of their diet. If you feed cattle to much grain they can have pro lens with an overly acidic rumen. If you feed a cow 100% grain, it will die.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:24:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Almost all of the food value of ANYTHING a ruminant eats goes to feed an impressive colony of microbes. These microbes then secrete waste products, mostly fatty acids which the animal absorbs as the primary energy source.

Feeding grains just means less food is necessary. Dietary fiber is still fed to keep the digestive systems in check and provide a substrate for the microbes.

Most of the amino acids the animal needs come from digestion of the microbes . Unlike monogastrics (single stomach animals), the bulk of the feces is indigestible plant matter. A monogastric's fecal matter is mostly dead bacteria.

They are basically a mobile brewery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top