Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 12:43:35 PM EDT
So I was walking down the hallway in my school, when suddenly, I hear a

BANG!!!!!!

About half a second later, I notice I'm halfway crouched, nearly behind the wall of the handicapped ramp for cover, and my hand is on my cellphone, with me thinking thoughts of 911... And then I see the broken balloon falling out of the bundle in the students hand.

Anything like this happen to youse guys?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never mistaken a balloon popping for gunfire, no.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
damn, dude. smoke one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My Girlfriend flips out with loud noises.

So everytime a car back-fires or a firecracker goes off I have to reassure her that it wasn't a gun,

You can tell the sounds apart just have to listen to it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't think the problem is you've been around firearms too long, I think the problem is you've had too much caffeine...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummmmmmmm no, and there are decaffeinated brands out there that taste just as good as regular coffee.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You have been around them to long.  Just send all yours to me and I will raise them as my own.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There've been a few times I thought a gun went off and I was suprisingly calm about it.  I was half thinking it was something else and not a gunshot but I was still looking for cover in case it happen to be a real gunshot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't think the problem is you've been around firearms too long, I think the problem is you've had too much caffeine...

I suppose 2 pepsis, a mountain dew, and a vivarin will do that to a person...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ummmmmmmm no, and there are decaffeinated brands out there that taste just as good as regular coffee.

I love Real Genius!  Its on the short list.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I find that being around shooting in general has desensitized me more than anything.  I agree that a gunshot and other loud noises are distinguishable.  With most ordinary loud noises, I don't react at all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I find that being around shooting in general has desensitized me more than anything.  I agree that a gunshot and other loud noises are distinguishable.  With most ordinary loud noises, I don't react at all.

Yeah, I used to live in a rough neighborhood in Tucson, back in my college days.  At first, I'd hear gunfire and I'd shit my pants and lie flat on the floor.  But by the end of my first summer in that neighborhood, I'd hear 12 shots or so of 9mm and I'd be looking out my window to see if anyone got blowed up.  Not the smartest thing to do, but it goes to show that being around anything in general for a long time will desensitize you to it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I find that being around shooting in general has desensitized me more than anything.  

Same here...hearing a gun go off is "normal" to me, so if I hear a loud noise I don't assume anything bad...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Double your dose.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So I was walking down the hallway in my school, when suddenly, I hear a

BANG!!!!!!

About half a second later, I notice I'm halfway crouched, nearly behind the wall of the handicapped ramp for cover, and my hand is on my cellphone, with me thinking thoughts of 911... And then I see the broken balloon falling out of the bundle in the students hand.

Anything like this happen to youse guys?

You've been in school to long.  School is dangerous.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
ya i was at the gun show last month and i guess a table or something collapsed because everyone in the goddamn show shut up and turned around to see what it was sounded like a gun going off i thought it was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Nah, you haven't been around guns too long. You know you've been around guns too long when you can identify caliber, approximate barrel length, brand of ammo and direction of fire based on the noise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
 Must have been one hell of a balloon.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I was at an outdoor concert and when they shot the cannons for the 1812 overture it sounded JUST like a frag going off. i was off my lawn chair on the ground covering my son before anyone could blink....now my wifes cousins are SURE i'm nucking futs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top