Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2006 5:16:25 PM EDT
They showed the part where all the congressmen file past the casket. I swear it looked like an Arfcom zombie apocalypse.
It was a line of fat old geezers shuffling by. Most could barely even walk and half looked senile. It looked like the express check out line at Walmart.

How the hell did we elect this parade of fat, limping, drooling, white-haired, senile old bastards?
They're never going to leave office and they're only just gonna get even older and more crotchety.
All the politicians, aides, advisors, governors etc in the audience are 80 year old geezers too.
The only people there less than 70 years old are the military honor guard.

How about we elect some young, energetic, healty people who actually know about modern-day issues and know how to program their own VCRs?

ETA:
1)  some geezer in the audience just collapsed (I'm watching a "recorded earlier" replay so you probably already know.

2) there are some hot Navy chicks in the chorus
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ill bet Kennedy was wearing Depends.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Young and energetic like John Edwards?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They showed the part where all the congressmen file past the casket. I swear it looked like an Arfcom zombie apocalypse.
It was a line of fat old geezers shuffling by. Most could barely even walk and half looked senile. It looked like the express check out line at Walmart.

How the hell did we elect this parade of fat, limping, drooling, white-haired, senile old bastards?
They're never going to leave office and they're only just gonna get even older and more crotchety.
All the politicians, aides, advisors, governors etc in the audience are 80 year old geezers too.

How about we elect some young, energetic, healty people who actually know about modern-day issues and know how to program their own VCRs?

Like John Edwards??

I'll stick with the old senile bastards
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's called Gerry-mandering.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, it's a good thing. The fact that they're old means that they can only last a certain amount of time before natural failures occur. I'd much rather have a stark raving 73-year-old leftist politician than a stark raving 45-year-old leftist politician; how many more terms can the 73-year-old last? We will see them go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
q3131: We before calling other people on the carpet, have you run for local elected office, like school board, city council?  I've worked a few political campaigns, and they are a lot of work.

The elected people that you see that got to be elected, really went through the wringer.  These people are not pussies, as a matter of fact, they are probably tough as nails.

----------

According to a PBS broadcast, only half of the elibile voters actually register to vote, and out of the registered voters only half actually vote, so that is only 25% of the actaully vote, and that is a high when 50% of the registered voters actually vote.  And of course even smaller number of people actually run for political office.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ETA:
1)  some geezer in the audience just collapsed (I'm watching a "recorded earlier" replay so you probably already know.

so you can outrun then in the hundred yard dash - you read the Federalist papers?  so you want to replace them with folks who waste daily time on the X box?  with kids who don't know the difference between GNP andn GDP?  with kids who represent that class that mortgaged their life away to drive a car they can't afford and live in a Mcmansion they are going to lose in foreclosure in about 18 mos from now?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You DO realize that a lot of the people are the former President's colleagues, right? People DO age, ya know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]

so you can outrun then in the hundred yard dash - you read the Federalist papers? so you want to replace them with folks who waste daily time on the X box? with kids who don't know the difference between GNP andn GDP? with kids who represent that class that mortgaged their life away to drive a car they can't afford and live in a Mcmansion they are going to lose in foreclosure in about 18 mos from now?

sorry, I forgot that anyone less than 45 years old is an irresponsible, ignorant video game player and all 80 year old geezers know what's best for us.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

According to a PBS broadcast, only half of the elibile voters actually register to vote, and out of the registered voters only half actually vote, so that is only 25% of the actaully vote, and that is a high when 50% of the registered voters actually vote.  And of course even smaller number of people actually run for political office.

And do you know why??????

Because people realize it's a big gigantic joke.
The whole thing
not just voting, the whole government, etc
It's all a joke and it doesn't work and there's nothing anyone can do to change it.  
that's the general feeling of pretty much everyone.

Oh yeah, to OP, people do get old ya know.  some day you will too and you'll wish (just like the rest of us) that you had taken better care of yourself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole thing
It's all a joke and it doesn't work and there's nothing anyone can do to change it.  

Oh yeah, to OP, people do get old ya know.  some day you will too and you'll wish (just like the rest of us) that you had taken better care of yourself.

I'm personally, open to any suggestions of a "better mouse trap."
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole thing

I'm personally, open to any suggestions of a "better mouse trap."

on which subject/rant?  old age or the disaster that our government has become?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
As pointed out, the career politicians that we have are far from "public servants."  They are a bunch of self-interested, fat, corrupt parasites who will continue sucking at the teet in Washington until they drop dead or are arrested.  They are totally removed from from the people and country they represent and are hastening our slide down the shitter.  The truly unfortunate thing is that they control the very mechanism that is supposed to keep them in check (the electoral process).  Democracy in America is a sad joke, a nobody is laughing anymore.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As pointed out, the career politicians that we have are far from "public servants."  They are a bunch of self-interested, fat, corrupt parasites who will continue sucking at the teet in Washington until they drop dead or are arrested.  They are totally removed from from the people and country they represent and are hastening our slide down the shitter.  The truly unfortunate thing is that they control the very mechanism that is supposed to keep them in check (the electoral process).  Democracy in America is a sad joke, a nobody is laughing anymore.  

Well said.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
'The Breck Girl' is 53 years old.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Term limits would resolve the old age problem
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The single biggest fuckup in the Constitution is the lack of term limits.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah, term limits can be enforced at the polling booth.  But when the public is stupid and greedy enough to vote on the basis of who they "Like" and how many benefits they will receive, the body politic is doomed.

I firmly believe that democracy is the theory that the voters know what they want, and that they deserve to get it -- good and hard
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Would there be term limits for lobbyists too? They'd be the only ones who'd really run Washington, other than the bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]

and know how to program their own VCRs?

Who uses a VCR? Step into the modern world of the DVR
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're ashamed of your elected reps that's OK.  My local rep to Congress surfs.

Off topic slightly, I think it takes quite a bit of energy to run for office.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

so you can outrun then in the hundred yard dash - you read the Federalist papers?  so you want to replace them with folks who waste daily time on the X box?  with kids who don't know the difference between GNP andn GDP? with kids who represent that class that mortgaged their life away to drive a car they can't afford and live in a Mcmansion they are going to lose in foreclosure in about 18 mos from now?  

I'm going to say one thing that's going to completely destroy your arguement.

"Series of tubes"

I'm all for voting in a bunch of veterans.  They know how deep the shit is stacked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ETA:

Here are some "Old Geezers" who helped found this Nation...

Constitutional Convention - 1787

Age - 40s
Gunning Bedford, Jr. (DE) — (1747 - 1812) — Age: 40
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (SC) — (1746 - 1825) — Age: 41
William C. Houston (NJ) — (1746 - 1788) — Age: 41
James McClurg (VA) — (1746 - 1823) — Age: 41
William Paterson (NJ) — (1745 - 1806) — Age: 41
Richard Bassett (DE) — (1745 - 1815) — Age: 42
Oliver Ellsworth (CT) — (1745 - 1807) — Age: 42
David Brearly (NJ) — (1745 - 1790) — Age: 42
Caleb Strong (MA) — (1745 - 1819) — Age: 42
Pierce Butler (SC) — (1744 - 1822) — Age: 43
William Blount (NC) — (1744 - 1800) — Age: 43
Elbridge Gerry (MA) — (1744 - 1814) — Age: 43
Thomas Mifflin (PA) — (1744 - 1800) — Age: 43
James McHenry (MA) — (1743 - 1816) — Age: 44
James Wilson (PA) — (1742 - 1798) — Age: 45
John Langdon (NH) — (1741 - 1818) — Age: 46
Thomas Fitzsimons (PA) — (1741 - 1811) — Age: 46
Alexander Martin (NC) — (1740 - 1807) — Age: 47
William L. Pierce (GA) — (1740 - 1789) — Age: 47
George Clymer (PA) — (1739 - 1813) — Age: 48
John Rutledge (SC) — (1739 - 1800) — Age: 48
Nathaniel Gorham (MA) — (1738 - 1796) — Age: 49
Robert Yates (NY) — (1738 - 1801) — Age: 49

Age - 50+
Hugh Williamson (NC) — (1735 - 1819) — Age: 52
Robert Morris (PA) — (1734 - 1806) — Age: 53
George Read (DE) — (1733 - 1798) — Age: 53
John Blair (VA) — (1732 - 1800) — Age: 55
John Dickinson (DE) — (1732 - 1808) — Age: 55
George Washington (VA) — (1732 - 1799) — Age: 55
Daniel Carroll (MD) — (1730 - 1796) — Age: 57
William Samuel Johnson (CT) — (1727 - 1819) — Age: 59
George Wythe (VA) — (1726 - 1806) — Age: 61
George Mason (VA) — (1725 - 1792) — Age: 62
William Livingston (NJ) — (1723 - 1790) — Age: 63
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer (MD) — (1723 - 1790) — Age: 64
Roger Sherman (CT) — (1721 - 1793) — Age: 66
Benjamin Franklin (PA) — (1706 - 1790) — Age: 81

-----------------------------

Keep in mind that age 40 in 1787 is more like age 60 Today.

Maybe we should only allow people over 40 to Vote.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'The Breck Girl' is 53 years old.

...or maybe young and energetic like the "rock star"* Hussein Obama, 45?

I'd take Dole over Barack anyday.

*I think it time someone come up with a better nickname for him anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

or bird flu.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the two main factors are that incumbents are a better bet even if they are shitheads, simply becasue they are incumbents.  This causes the parties to support them because it helps their candidates get elected.

Also, as a congress critter gets elected over and over, they gain seniority among the other congress critters.  This allows them to serve in better positions which gain state prestige and help them bring home the pork.

Without term limits, incumbency and the lure of seniority assure that even incompetent politicians can still be re-elected.

Ted Kennedy is probably the textbook example of this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The only people there less than 70 years old are the military honor guard . . .

Did it ever occur to  you that maybe the people you see on TV attending this service are people who actually knew or worked with Ford? Seeing as how he left office 30 years ago, it stands to reason that his friends might have a few years on them . . .
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ETA:

The guy who collapsed was 84, BUT he was a former Congressman.  There were lots of contemporaries of Ford there, some former officials and some present day, so figuring he was 94 there's bound to be a few gray hairs there.  

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/30/AR2006123000927_pf.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The single biggest fuckup in the Constitution is the lack of term limits.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah, term limits can be enforced at the polling booth.  But when the public is stupid and greedy enough to vote on the basis of who they "Like" and how many benefits they will receive, the body politic is doomed.

I firmly believe that democracy is the theory that the voters know what they want, and that they deserve to get it -- good and hard

We have term limits on state reps and senators here in Missouri. It's pretty much a clusterf***. Anybody who knows how to get anything done has been kicked out of office by term limits. Instead we have a bunch of new folks who are clueless about what works, what's been tried, and what doesn't work. THey spend their entire time trying to figure out where the damn bathrooms are and just about the time they start to get the system figured out they have to leave. In the meantime, the staffs and the lobbyists rule the state legislature because they're the only ones who know anything . . .

The best scenario is a mix of experienced leaders with a healthy balance of new folks with fresh ideas. Figuring out how to accomplish that is a lot more complicated than just passing term limits.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#29]
It's not about age, it's about the times and yes it will get worse.
How much shit from the fine folks in the Middle East do you think a President Barry Goldwater have taken ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ETA:

+1 zillion. ive been saying this sh*t for years. these old guys represent me about as well as hollywood morons do, not at all.

sure they are tough old guys and they have seen alot and all that but they dont represent the general population anymore.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If people would exercise their constitutional duty and VOTE, we wouldn't need such bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
most people who don't vote are ignorant of the issues. I'm just as glad they don't vote because if they did they would just vote for the canditate who looks better or promises the most or says they "care" about you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I am 34 years old, and have seriously contemplated getting involved in politics, and in both cases, I refused for two reasons.

1.  I cannot STAND asking people for money.  It's not how I am wired, it's not what I do, and it's not something I want to do.  When people give you money, they expect something in return, and quite honestly...I don't work that way either...I do what I think is right, and go on down the road...I'd never make it in Washington DC.

2.  I cannot handle the paycut to be a civil servant.

I imagine anyone else that's around my age, that's self made, and works hard would feel much the same way...in particular issue #1.  #2 could be dealt with, but it's not something I am ready to do at this time.

Hax
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called Gerry-mandering.

Affirmative.

See also:  McCain-Feingold Finance Reform Act.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If people would exercise their constitutional duty and VOTE, we wouldn't need such bullshit.

Voting results would likely be the same just more turnout.  Capitolism Vs. Socialism needs to be more widely taught and discussed.  Most importantly why the two ideologies cannot co-exist in practice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or bird flu.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Damn good idea but how to you get them to vote for term limits for themselves. It would solve a lot of our problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We have term limits on state reps and senators here in Missouri. It's pretty much a clusterf***. Anybody who knows how to get anything done has been kicked out of office by term limits.

Is that really a bad thing i think we are all better off when things are in a quagmire
and also if they  don't know every nook and cranny of the system they cannot get questionable shit passed or block good stuff with obscure questionable parliamentary rules or creative bill writing and deal making
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Or Barak Obama.
People tell me he's a real rawk star!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Democracy in America is a sad joke, a nobody is laughing anymore.  

When are people going to quit listening to the idiot talking heads who keep refering to the US as a Democracy? This country has never been a Democracy. It is a Republic. You think the state of the political nation is crappy now as a Republic? You do not want to know what things would be like if we were a Democracy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When are people going to quit listening to the idiot talking heads who keep refering to the US as a Democracy? This country has never been a Democracy. It is a Republic. You think the state of the political nation is crappy now as a Republic? You do not want to know what things would be like if we were a Democracy.

Jesus, thank God somebody else gets it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oppps, too late

tyranny of the majority.

We have been on the road away from a Republic since we got direct election of Senators.  The last 30 to 40 years it has picked up speed dramatically.

Turn out the lights, America is over
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Man, if this quote doesn't nail this on the head.  Stolen from survivalblog.com

"And the thing about my jokes is, they don't hurt anybody. You can take 'em or leave 'em - you can say they're funny or they're terrible or they're good, or whatever, but you can just pass 'em by. But with Congress, every time they make a joke, it's a law! And every time they make a law, it's a joke!" - Will Rogers
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Ill bet Kennedy was wearing Depends.

and had a bottle of Jack in his drawers
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I want politicians who are either too old or too young to be baby boomers.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Then there are those of us just waiting for the final swirl around the bowl so it can finally flush. Seriously i highly doubt our votes mean much of anything to the powers that be. Its all just smoke and mirrors...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]
We elect them - one vote at a time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I think the two main factors are that incumbents are a better bet even if they are shitheads, simply becasue they are incumbents.  This causes the parties to support them because it helps their candidates get elected.

Also, as a congress critter gets elected over and over, they gain seniority among the other congress critters.  This allows them to serve in better positions which gain state prestige and help them bring home the pork.

Without term limits, incumbency and the lure of seniority assure that even incompetent politicians can still be re-elected.

Ted Kennedy is probably the textbook example of this.

There is no probably he is a textbook example.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top