Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/2/2012 8:37:03 AM EST
I really like the Toyota FJ/tacoma/4 runner, but they get the same or worse mileage than 1/2 ton trucks and less power/towing capacity.
I'm leaning towards an EB F-150 due to my Xplan discount through my employer, but I also have the "toyota resale value" demon whispering in my ear. What should I do?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:50:33 AM EST
Tundra?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:57:59 AM EST
I just bought a 2012 SR5 4Runner 4x4, and honestly I couldn't be happier with it! Gas mileage is much better than I anticipated, and I get about 24-25 on the highway, and about 18-19 in town. Admittedly I don't use it for towing though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:44:17 AM EST
All those Toyotas you listed are good vehicles, but not as nice as a F150 IMO. I just traded in my 2008 Tacoma (great little truck) for a F150 FX4 EB in March and have been really impressed with it.

The difference in power between the two is very noticeable, while a mpg difference is not. Go test drive all of them and see what you like best, but if you anticipate needing more hauling / towing capacity in the future, then get a 1/2 ton now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:57:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By showmeballer:
All those Toyotas you listed are good vehicles, but not as nice as a F150 IMO. I just traded in my 2008 Tacoma (great little truck) for a F150 FX4 EB in March and have been really impressed with it.

The difference in power between the two is very noticeable, while a mpg difference is not. Go test drive all of them and see what you like best, but if you anticipate needing more hauling / towing capacity in the future, then get a 1/2 ton now.

Yeah, there will be a boat in the next couple of years (probably a 23ish foot center console). I'm leaning that way, especially with the xplan pricing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:07:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By rfm05:
I really like the Toyota FJ/tacoma/4 runner, but they get the same or worse mileage than 1/2 ton trucks and less power/towing capacity.
I'm leaning towards an EB F-150 due to my Xplan discount through my employer, but I also have the "toyota resale value" demon whispering in my ear. What should I do?

These vehicles have completely different goals and uses. Trying to compare them is futile.

If you're in Texas and do more towing than rock crawling, you should probably go with the F150.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:19:37 PM EST

Not even comparable. Not in the same class and not related at all

WTF are you wanting to do with your vehicle?

If you want a full size truck get one, but don't try to compare the "compact" line of vehicles to a 1/2 ton.

Also, fuck buying a brand new vehicle.......

Actually, do it....... Buy new, take the hit on depreciation so that someone else can get a good deal on a vehicle in a few years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:06:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By bob200587:

___ are you wanting to do with your vehicle?

If you want a full size truck get one, but don't try to compare the "compact" line of vehicles to a 1/2 ton.

Also, ___ buying a brand new vehicle.......

Actually, do it....... Buy new, take the hit on depreciation so that someone else can get a good deal on a vehicle in a few years.

Seems a little harsh.. this isn't GD.

Another bump for a Tundra though, especially if you already like the Toyota offerings.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:49:34 PM EST

Have you looked at used prices lately? They are just as retarded as new prices, so I might as well get something new if I'm only paying a bit more.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 2:51:01 PM EST

Yeah, buy a vehicle with a higher finance rate, expired warranty, and unknown history. What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:52:47 PM EST
So now I'm leaning towards a used Tahoe that still has some powertrain warranty left. It seems I can get more fro my money going this route.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:30:42 AM EST

Have you looked at used prices lately? They are just as retarded as new prices, so I might as well get something new if I'm only paying a bit more.

Exactly. Plus you get a full factory warranty and even if you get a loan, there are still lots of rates out there that range from 0% - 2% APR. What's wrong with borrowing money for free?

And that depreciation hit means absolutely shit if you are the type to keep a vehicle until the wheels fall off, or at least 5-6 years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:03:49 AM EST

While a tad harsh the above post is correct in asking what you really intend to do with the vehicle as your options are not even in the same group.

I'd go with the Ford if you really want a truck.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:03:29 AM EST
I was in the same spot a year ago and wound up with a 2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CrewCab. It's got 4 real sized seats, and a 5.5ft bed that i have used to haul up to 3 motorcycles at a time with the gate down. MPG isn't stellar (18 avg), but I drive fast and never get the rated maximum. If I could have gotten a 4runner V8 AWD for the same price, I would have, but for what I paid (21.5k+ tax), the only toyotas i could afford had 80k miles on them.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:08:06 AM EST
You like being a field hand, and helping every idiot you meet move go for a truck.
Top Top