Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2004 2:53:09 PM EST
I went to our local gun show today and had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the biggest moron I've ever seen.

I wander up to this guys table and notice that he has an AR in the rack. It was a standard Bushmaster 20", post ban. I look down at the tag to see what he was asking for it. Imagine my surprise when I observed the $1200 price tag. The look of shock became even more obvious when I noticed that he had it labeled as an M4 LEO.

I very politely informed this asshole that the rifle was mis-tagged.

He replied that it was not and that the rifle was in fact an M4 LEO. His attitude sucked a chub because someone dared to question him or his knowledge of the rifle.

I boldly stated that the rifle WAS NOT an M4 and the only thing about it that was LEO, was that a Deputy Sheriff was holding it (I was off duty and this prick had no idea who I was). After he realized that I wasn't buying his line of shit, he went back to tinkering with a broken down pistol that he was fooling with when I walked up.

I gave him a parting "good luck selling your misrepresented item" and walked off.

It pisses me off that fuckstick is trying to take advantage of someone who won't know the difference and pay way too much, based on his claim that a product is something that it's not.

Sorry for the rant.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:55:16 PM EST
I'll say it again,

gunstore owners/employees some of our own worst enemies!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:03:18 PM EST
I agree Red. How many times have you been to a show and got behind someone who smells like they haven't had a bath in days? How hard is it to take a bath?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:08:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
How hard is it to take a bath?

ok, I give up...how hard is it?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:09:29 PM EST
Did he even bother to offer a reason as to why he belived it was an M4 LE only?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:09:48 PM EST
Just because Elmer Fudd has an AR in with his shotguns does not mean Elmer Fudd is a reliable person or knowledgable.Poor old Elmer prob can't count up to 21 with his shoes on and his pants buttoned. Oh yeah......put some soap to yor ass Mr. Fudd.Gunshows....the crossroads of America.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:10:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:

How hard is it to take a bath?

ok, I give up...how hard is it?

ask the French.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:18:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 3:20:02 PM EST by bgenlvtex]
Most people at gunshows aren't fluent in all types of guns and having one for sale certainly doesn't make him an expert. It also however doesn't give him the right to misrepresent his product knowingly, in hope some poor s.o.b that just got his first real paycheck will drop it on his shit.

I see this shit all the time at shows and rather than make it a personal campaign to set the morons straight I just smile and move along, sometimes shaking my head. I learned long ago that argueing with these "experts" is little more than an exercise in futility.

Edited for spelling x 2
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:22:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:27:02 PM EST
Wakulla gun and pawn is by far the worst around here.... Tarketing the uneducated masses one gun show at the time.

Fucking pricks. Even had the nerve to tell me kerry was a better man than bush. I dont know what is worse his insane pricing or his bullshit.

He usually always has a hesse, even claims they are good guns.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:27:33 PM EST
I thought this only happened in OH.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:28:17 PM EST

I agree Red. How many times have you been to a show and got behind someone who smells like they haven't had a bath in days? How hard is it to take a bath?

Amen, brother. Some of those people can strip the blueing off the weapons they walk past....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:49:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:
Did he even bother to offer a reason as to why he belived it was an M4 LE only?

No, he did'nt, but if I was thinking clearly I should've played the game and asked. I'm sure the reason that the gun was LEO would have been equally as stupid:

"Because the previous owner was a police officer and this rifle was kept in the rack."
"Because I'm throwing in a couple of 30 round mags."
"Because I saw one like it on the cover of GWLE."

I was in such a state of awe that I felt that it would be better to just walk away instead of starting a pissing contest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:53:52 PM EST
I posted this in another thread, and it seems to fit here as well.

The problem with gun shows is that you don't have to know anything about guns to get in. This causes numerous uninformed buyers to walk in, allowing SOME money hungry dealers to prey on them. Hence the $5000 preban ARs that were sighted at shows this weekend. Since many people don't know anything about guns except that they want one, they are easily suckered by these dealers. This issue is make worse by the many dealers who don't really know much about guns themselves. Evidently many dealers have become convinced that selling guns makes them the living equivilent of John Wayne, and they have fabricated stories to match this persona. What this leaves us with is an uninformed, price gouging asshole. He thinks that he is Sgt Stryker, Jane's Recognition Guide, and the Blue Book of Gun Values all rolled into one. He sees everyone as a mark, and seeks to publically discredit anyone who may blow his cover.

Enter you, the informed buyer. You know the law to the letter. As a gun lover, you probably also have an interest in military history. You can identify every black rifle on the table, and know the fair market value for them. You are a decent guy, so it bothers you that he would not only try to rip you off, but he wants to rip off those who know nothing about guns. This is because that kind of asshole makes all of us look bad. You know he is lying, and it offends you.

Unfortunatly , like the rest of society there are assholes in the gun business. Since they treat people like shit, there is no way they would ever be able to keep a fixed gun business. So, they take to the road, hauling their overpriced guns and their overinflated egos from town to town, where they think nobody can see what they are. By the time most customers realize that he was a lying price-gouging fuckhead, he is packed up and gone, never to be seen again. While there are certainly some good dealers at gunshows, many are nothing more than gypsies wih FFLs. They ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:58:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By dep4532:
I went to our local gun show today and had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the biggest moron I've ever seen.

I wander up to this guys table and notice that he has an AR in the rack. It was a standard Bushmaster 20", post ban. I look down at the tag to see what he was asking for it. Imagine my surprise when I observed the $1200 price tag. The look of shock became even more obvious when I noticed that he had it labeled as an M4 LEO.

He replied that it was not and that the rifle was in fact an M4 LEO. His attitude sucked a chub because someone dared to question him or his knowledge of the rifle.

I boldly stated that the rifle WAS NOT an M4 and the only thing about it that was LEO, was that a Deputy Sheriff was holding it (I was off duty and this prick had no idea who I was). After he realized that I wasn't buying his line of shit, he went back to tinkering with a broken down pistol that he was fooling with when I walked up.

I gave him a parting "good luck selling your misrepresented item" and walked off.

It pisses me off that fuckstick is trying to take advantage of someone who won't know the difference and pay way too much, based on his claim that a product is something that it's not.

Sorry for the rant.

Thats a new one. I went to the local gunshow on Saturday and some dealers already had their LEO's lined up to buy, but the tag read "Ok for delivery after September 12."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:03:10 PM EST
Firearms are like anything else. You have to do your homework in order to make an informed purchase or you will get ripped off. Shame on you if you're dumb enough to drop $1200 hard, hard earned dollars on anything and you don't know what you're getting.

Firearms retailers/dealers are like any other field of industry. Some are good, reputable, and trustworthy, others are P.O.S's.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:58:15 PM EST
I totally agree . We have a local FFL that is pretty cool when you don't have to deal with his wife.........................SHE'S A bigtime !
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:02:15 PM EST
Gun store owners are like Lawyers. Most dont really give a shit about guns and gun rights, it's how much $ they can make, most are crooked and only a small percentage are honest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:06:15 PM EST
I was at a pawn shop the other day looking for a deal on a sks and saw a plain jane mini14 used. It came with 5 30round mags. Only wanted $800. What a deal. Too bad I did not have the cash on me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:08:56 PM EST
This is a good example of why we need to get rid of GCA68. Mail order baby!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:27:00 PM EST
*a-hem* Ten minutes each morning. Sometimes not at all on Saturdays or Sundays if I'm not going anywhere. That's one hour out of 168 every week. That's how long it takes to shower.

While good shampoo is expensive, you can get away quite easily with using Pert or No More Tears, which are cheap. Soap is cheap. Deodorant is cheap. If you want it (and you probably could use it, Mr. Fudd), cologne, while expensive initially, lasts for a long time, and is thus cheap. Laundry detergent, water, bleach... cheap.

So, why, for the love of god, do you have to transfer your smell to the already cigarette-soaked stock of my beautiful Garand or Mosin? Why will my handgun grips smell of BO for a month after purchase? Why, why can't you be clean?

Furthermore, I may not have calipers with me, but I, astonishing as it may seem, can tell a 9mm barrel from a 7.65mm barrel, especially since the caliber is stamped on the chamber. So don't say that that CZ-52 is an ultra-rare 9mm. I can see it isn't. And I highly doubt that the Soviets ever used a serial number of 7.65x25, especially on every barrel, so don't try that. I can identify on sight perhaps 80% of guns made within the last 50 years, maybe 70% within the last 100. I was born with a natural ability to read Legalese and as such have made it part of my life's work to understand just about every US gun law. No, you do not have an ultra-rare pre-ban Uzi. That's a PM-11, and is definitely post-ban. That Garand isn't .270 (Caliber stampings, remember, and bore sizes), nor was it carried by a GI into Auschwitz. It's a Century reciever with Italian parts. No, I don't expect you to stop trying to trick people, but do. Not. Assume. That. I'm. The. Stupid. One. Seriously. I have high hopes of amassing a larger firearms collection than The Nuge, and if you say that that CETME is an MP5 one more time, you will no longer be considered for helping me achieve that goal.

Thank you. Rant off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:37:23 PM EST
dep,

Where abouts in Texas?, Was it a Saxet show?

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:54:44 PM EST
When I go to buy a nice car I don't go to an Auto Auction and expect to get quality Customer Service.

Find an honest local dealer willing to work for you. When he does his job pay him and then you won't havce to go to GunShows.

MT
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:35:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By dep4532:

Sorry for the rant.

I thought this behavior is the norm for gun dealers? They all sure gave everyone a good ripping back in 1994. Remember?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:58:40 PM EST
a dealer tried to sell me a "High Point 995 carbine" and told me hi cap mags were available for it , but he didnt have any
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:43:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By 96Ag:
dep,

Where abouts in Texas?, Was it a Saxet show?

96Ag

No, it wasn't SAXET. It was one they hold in Kerrville about every 4 months. Basically, a bunch of locals that set up a table, try to buy low, sell high, and make trades that will obviously benefit them. Not too many actual gun stores or distributors represented, just people trying to sell off what they don't want anymore.

Hell, anymore there are people with tables selling unrelated items. There was a guy there selling comic books and baseball cards!
Top Top