Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:18:12 PM EDT
I'm thirsty.

Thirsty for the reality of the war in Iraq.

I stumbled upon this blog, which is some of the finest combat writing available on the subject.

Allow me to lead you down the path of wisdom with the writings of Michael Yon.

Read “Gates of Fire” and your hooked.

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/2005/08/gates-of-fire.html

This writer picked up a weapon to save our men. When was the last time Heraldo Rivera did that? Aint gonna happen.

This entire blog is a “must read” for anyone who debates our presence or doubts our success in this endeavor or is just plain tired of the spin.

Slide on down to the streets of Mosul with Michael and see what is really happening.

Appy Polly Loggies if this is a dupe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:23:30 PM EDT
No one's going to give you crap for bringing up Michael Yon and his work, which is excellent.

Most journalists are too afraid to leave the Green Zone. That guy follows soldiers into combat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:26:56 PM EDT
Hey thanks for posting! While I have read plenty of Michael's work, I was unaware that there is a new dispatch posted to his site!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:48:04 PM EDT

Gates of Fire is an incredible account, with equally incredible photos to boot.

Kurilla is one stone-cold MFer. A far cry from my own commander.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:51:38 PM EDT
But he is realistic, as well . . . find where he talks about what he wears into combat . . . the face masks that he chooses to wear have to be uncomfortable, but hearing what he says about flash burns . . . they make sense. He is a great man . . . now if only more people would pay attention.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:55:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:

Kurilla is one stone-cold MFer. A far cry from my own commander.

USMA89 here knows him from West Point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:20:18 PM EDT
Very interesting read.

I did note that some Major gave him shit for picking up a weapon,and firing it, to try and save the CSM, while the newbies stood there.

Sounds like a fine candidate for General...asshole. Busting the guys balls for doing something to try and save a buddy.

Anyway sounds like the major has the asskissing PC tone needed to make General....he should go far....

And I don't give a shit what the rules say. Most media assholes would be enjoying getting shots of US troops getting shot up, and would stand there and congratulate the enemy afterwards.

This guy had the balls to step up and do something...and try to save some American lives. I give him credit.....
Top Top