Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 7:07:22 AM EDT
Who else is going to see Enemy at the Gates this weekend?

I'm taking my life long hero, my grandfather. A veteran who fought on Saipan during WWII. A man who followed in his two brothers footsteps and went to war along side them, one to Italy and two to the pacific. This proud man has tought me much about life. A man who was born in a sod house in Nebraska, moved to idaho when he was young and worked on the family farm. Today he is still puttering around the same family farm.

Most of my family are of the mindset that there should only be firearms used for hunting, no military arms should be allowed, in fact my father is sure that you must get a permit to own a handgun and "assault weapons" are banned, even though he can't understand that a semi-auto ar15, fal or ak are not "assault weapons". He would soil himself if he ever saw my gun safe!! But when I go to visit my grandfather I take a new piece of my collection to show him, he sits for hours examining it, taking it apart and then getting one of his "bring back" pieces he or his brothers returned with to compare it to.

This man works 7 days a week on the farm and rarely goes anywhere even though he doesn't need the money, it is just the way he was brought up. When Saving Private Ryan came out I wanted to take him to it but my family said it would be tramatic on him. To avoid family squables I didn't take him but when he visited me I just happened to have a copy on DVD that we watched. He was so awe struck that I will take him to see The enemy at the gates this weekend.

Sorry for the long winded post but as you can tell I am very proud of my heritage.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My Father-in-Law's 80th birthday is this weekend.  The whole family is coming in for his celebration.  He flew Marine Corsairs in VMF211 and made Ace in War2 with six confirmed.  I'd surely like to get him away for a couple hours to see the movie.  Even though his tour was much different he'd enjoy it.  Maybe after everyone goes home.

His youth was similar to your Grandfather's; rural Louisiana farmland.  He went off to war, served honorably, came home and put himself through medical school then practiced mediicine in West Texas for forty-some years flying his Bonanza into small towns.

Though he's retired and not as active as he'd like anymore, he still gets out to flyfish and shoot when the weather's good.

Papa John's the Real Deal.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dad served as well, 101st Airborne and jumped in D-day and Holland.  He is 77 and gets the coolest birthday gifts from me. ( all guns and military stuff)  My sis is taking him at my request.  He was raised in Brooklyn,NY and first went to Canada to join then picked up the US Army.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
God bless these men.  Talk to them while they are still here.  Most combat vets don't talk much about their war.  If you miss out now it will be lost forever.  Find out what really happened.  The liberals are rewriting history.  Get the truth while you still can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I suspect this film is going to increase interest in Mausers and Mosin-Nagants.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
all of you are lucky to have such cool grandpappys.  mine served but died before i was born.  like others said, learn as much as you can from them while they're here because you WILL miss them when they're gone.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top