Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2010 4:15:36 AM EDT
Yesterday I was heading out, needed to go lo-pro, so I grabbed my Raven with my G19.  When I put it inside the waste band, I heard a snap. Looked down, and the rear clip broke off.  Not a big deal, I can order it for $8, but then I noticed a small crack developing from the trigger guard on down.   Right now it's fine, but every time I holster and re-holster the crack gets a bit longer.

It's about a inch long, but I imagine it will probably be FUBAR pretty soon.  

I would have thought an $80 holster would last longer than a year.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Call their CS to see what they say?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I haven't.  Just, disappointed....

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Had the same thing (trigger guard crack) occur in a 5" 1911 holster few months back. I just stick to my Comp-Tac holsters now; thicker, but I've been using some for YEARS and nary an issue.

(Not saying RCS is substandard or anything like that. They get too many good reviews for that to be true.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy with the holster I have for my G19, but I have only had it for a few months and I haven't used it that much. I have one for my G17 on order.

I hope they take care of you, and I have a feeling they will. Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
could just be a lemon man...even as unlikely as that is with a polycarbonate injection molded piece of equipment.

This is actually a perfect opportunity to determine if the business stands behind their product. This is often the true deciding factor for me when/if I decide to purchase from a certain company again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't.  Just, disappointed....

My holsters is holding up fine but I've gone through two sets of the hooks.  The latest set I have seem to be the best.

I wear mine maybe too much; working around the house, mowing the grass, etc. so it sees all kinds of abuse.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1911 IWB. They're great holsters, but this isn't the first report of clip breakage that I've heard about. They do seem to have good, quick CS, though. Hopefully they'll help you out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
In for Raven's response.

So far my CompTac is a tank.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine gets heavy use and not a problem.

My guess is they will replace it without question.

Good luck

GM
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
could just be a lemon man...even as unlikely as that is with a polycarbonate injection molded piece of equipment.

This is actually a perfect opportunity to determine if the business stands behind their product. This is often the true deciding factor for me when/if I decide to purchase from a certain company again.

QFT. While the initial sale is important, its the aftersale support that turns one from a customer to a client.

Give them a chance to make things right. This very well could be an opportunity for them to not only take care of you but to make their products better and create some new potential clients (again, if they take care of you).

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a picture of the crack behind the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#13]
They'll replace it.

I've broken more than 4 sets of clips for my mag pouch and 4 sets of overhooks for the holster itself.  

Not sure if I'm just fat or everyday wear wears it out or...?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My Blade Tech has been through hell without fail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
hmm thats discouraging. I get my M&P holster today from them so hopefully i have better luck
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Just shot them an e-mail.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I've been a happy Raven Concealment owner for over a year, and just weeks ago ordered one for my Glock 17 (order number xxxxx).  Your holster has set the bar for what I consider premium equipment for serious use and I've steered dozens of other gun owners to your product, all of which are happy customers.

This is why is it so disappointing to write this e-mail.

Yesterday, upon holstering my Glock 19, I heard a snap and looked down to find that one of the retention hooks had broke.  Upon closer look, I noticed that a crack is developing just behind the trigger guard.  Seeing the holster cracking like this (under normal day to day carry) is frankly, a let down.  Is there any thing you can do to rectify this situation?

Here is a link to a picture of the crack.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/VTHOKIESHOOTER/P9010013_01.jpg?t=1283345274

Your attentiveness is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I've broken more than 4 sets of clips for my mag pouch and 4 sets of overhooks for the holster itself.

Not really a ringing endorsement.

Comp-Tac user here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Tagged for response
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Comp-Tac or Crossbreed for me!!

Honestly I've never even heard of Raven until I watched Magpuls handgun video.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I broke a couple Raven holsters. SOme folks never have problems, I guess I'm a hard user. Jay was great and built my replacment out of thicker material. Very good CS.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#21]
How thick is the Kydex on those?

I don't like using anything thinner than .080", and prefer thicker than that.   Thinner than .080" seems to crack a lot quicker especially in areas that have to flex back and forth (like belt clips).
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]
No response from Raven.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]
just got my first one last night. It looks well made buy I could see that stuff flexing and it appears that if it were stressed enough it wouldnt bend but rather crack.

Fit and finish though this thing is great. Really keeps tight to my body and unholsters/reholsters perfectly
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#24]
ordered mine plus magholster 3 weeks ago. Shit better not break...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

hmm thats discouraging. I get my M&P holster today from them so hopefully i have better luck

That's the one I have.  Holster has been rock solid but the clips sucked.  The newest set I have seems much tougher than the old ones.  I've had it for several years now.

Quoted:

JohnWayne_777 is the one who introduced me to the name several years ago.  I figured WTH, why not and bought it.  I like the holster better than the Comp-Tac I had been using and still do.  

However nothing like being out carrying and all of the sudden one of the clips breaks off then not too long later the other one does.  Had to sneak back to the car and disarm.  The second time was at the range so it wasn't as much of an "oh snap" moment.

I've also broke a Milt Sparks holster but there again, customer service was freaking great and I had replacement parts within a few days.  I suppose that comes with the territory of carrying damn near all the time and falling asleep with the holster/gun on.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No response from Raven.

They're busy but they will take care of you. I'm at work (on jobrelatedstuff) so I can't PM you but I know one of the guys that works there...

Can you shoot me an email and I'll get you his name and email?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Hhhhmmm....

I use Comp-Tac stuff but I've been considering making the switch.

I know that C-Tac would have a new (I'd have to purchase it) clip to my door step within five biz days.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hhhhmmm....

I know that C-Tac would have a new (I'd have to purchase it) clip to my door step within five biz days.

Honestly, I really like the Raven more.  It fits inside the waist band better and is more versatile.  IMHO. I carry my G17 in an M-TAC, but it feels much more bulky, ditto to the C-TAC holster for my G21sf.  

My G19 is just in a regular Raven Phantom, but the Raven I ordered for my G17 will allow me to carry IWB with a weapon light installed or with just a few turns of some screws, I can turn it from IWB to an outside belt holster.  This is something that no other maker can do.  However, cracking after a year for a $80 holster doesn't sit all that well with me.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No response from Raven.

I was at Raven's shop last week and Tom said they are over 3000 orders behind in production.  To say they are a little busy would be an understatement, but customer service is still very important.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No response from Raven.

I was at Raven's shop last week and Tom said they are over 3000 orders behind in production.  To say they are a little busy would be an understatement, but customer service is still very important.
Wow

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#32]
MTAC - Half leather, half kydex, the leather does all the flexing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#33]
It has been my experience that they will take care of you as soon as they can.  

I went through two sets of the kydex clips.  One, broke and the other got caught and was bent straight.  I since have gone to the rubber snaps and have not had a problem.  The snap system is not as convenient but I have better control of my piece and better piece of mind.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

There's going to be alot of piss off kool aid drinkers after some time passes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Huh, I wonder why we never have threads on galco or milt sparks holsters that crack or break in half?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Heh, make your own....

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

There's going to be alot of piss off kool aid drinkers after some time passes.
FWIW I started carrying the Raven based on the advise of JW_777 well before I even saw a Magpul vid.  I love the design and features, if I didn't I wouldn't have used it for so long.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Huh, I wonder why we never have threads on galco or milt sparks holsters that crack or break in half?

Still using a Sparks I bought in '93. Holding up great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hhhhmmm....

Honestly, I really like the Raven more.  It fits inside the waist band better and is more versatile.  IMHO. I carry my G17 in an M-TAC, but it feels much more bulky, ditto to the C-TAC holster for my G21sf.  

My G19 is just in a regular Raven Phantom, but the Raven I ordered for my G17 will allow me to carry IWB with a weapon light installed or with just a few turns of some screws, I can turn it from IWB to an outside belt holster.  This is something that no other maker can do.  However, cracking after a year for a $80 holster doesn't sit all that well with me.

I run an Minotaur with my G-19. It's ridiculously comfortable.

The modularity of the Raven gear is a huge +.

FWIW, I'm about to start making my own kydex stuff. No one seems to be making exactly what I want in a kydex holster.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#41]

There is an entire thread in the survival forum for this very thing. For the price of one Raven, I have all the tools and equipment to make more. Kydex is like $4 a sheet from knifekits.com, so if I need to make more those will only cost around 4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=628104

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Great idea. Just TEST THAT SUCKER OUT.

I have to mod my holster because I found out - in training - that the holster is hitting the mag release at some point in my draw or return stroke. I "got" to practice my tap/rack/bangs this past weekend as a result.

But I agree, making your own holsters is fun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I've heard from the sales rep at Raven.

They have asked me to ship the damaged holster to them and will unconditionally send me a new one and stand behind their life time warranty.

I'm tickled.

They also said that they've increased the thickness by a hair to insure that a problem like this doesn't occur.

Can't ask for any better treatment than that.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#44]
That's great.  Update us on the turn around time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've heard from the sales rep at Raven.

They have asked me to ship the damaged holster to them and will unconditionally send me a new one and stand behind their life time warranty.

I'm tickled.

They also said that they've increased the thickness by a hair to insure that a problem like this doesn't occur.

Can't ask for any better treatment than that.  

Nope; you certainly can't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I've been running a Ghost for over a year with my G19 with no problems.  I also have the mag carrier, again with no problems.
I've never heard a bad thing on their CS so I'm not surprised that they are taking care of you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've got Kramer and Blade Tec holsters that i bought in the mid 90's. Yes a holster should last more than a year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got Kramer and Blade Tec holsters that i bought in the mid 90's. Yes a holster should last more than a year.

They said that they did a design change in January to fix the problem of cracks developing. Looking forward to carrying around my Glocks in the new design.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My cross breed is a couple of years old and has the same fatigue crack as VTs.  I suspect crossbreed will replace it when I get around to complaining about it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is an entire thread in the survival forum for this very thing. For the price of one Raven, I have all the tools and equipment to make more. Kydex is like $4 a sheet from knifekits.com, so if I need to make more those will only cost around 4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=628104

Aside from being way cheaper, it's fun too.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top